06 Tundra Front Caliper Brake lines corrosion solution with stainless lines?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Puffnstuff
  • 1 Post By Sportsmanphil

Thread: 06 Tundra Front Caliper Brake lines corrosion solution with stainless lines?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 06 Tundra Front Caliper Brake lines corrosion solution with stainless lines?

Anyone out there with a braided stainless front caliper brake lines installed that can tell me if the stainless steel brake lines will replace both the stock rubber line AND the very short steel line that goes from the caliper to the rubber line connection? thanks in advance!

(i drive thru lots of wind blown sand and salt water and the stock short steel line will rust thru due to constant sandblasting and salt corrosion. so rather than keep replacing them i thought i'd check into the stainless lines I see advertised all the time. I looked at many web sites and could not find any photos of a installed set so i could tell if the stainless lines go directly to the caliper or connect to the short stock steel line that then connects to the caliper, which wouldn't help my problem)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    84 times
    Images

Default Re: 06 Tundra Front Caliper Brake lines corrosion solution with stainless lines?

With all the tundra frame rust issues if you actually drive through salt water I bet your frame will rot off before your brake lines rust through

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 06 Tundra Front Caliper Brake lines corrosion solution with stainless lines?

well gee thanks for the insightful advice, such mental prowess i am in awe.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

None of the aftermarket lines replace the factory hard lines only the rubber portion.
    Remmy700P likes this.
    2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

thanks for the info!!

Liked
    192 times

Stainless will corrode too.

The benefit to stainless braided lines is less expansion while under pressure, therefore better brake feel. If you want stainless brake lines only for corrosion purposes, you will be wasting your money.
    Remmy700P likes this.

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
    Stainless will corrode too.

The benefit to stainless braided lines is less expansion while under pressure, therefore better brake feel. If you want stainless brake lines only for corrosion purposes, you will be wasting your money.
    where did you get this information?

InlineTube.com sells stainless steel hard brake lines (not sure if they have prebent for tundra or we have to bend our own) and states:

"Both stainless and OEM steel perform exactly the same for braking. The difference is the material. Both lines have the fittings on the ends, cloth wrap and spring wrap identical to the factory originals and are very hard to tell apart. The OEM steel lines are a tin coated steel line identical to the original and will last as long as the original. The stainless steel lines will neverrust tarnish or corrode."
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    192 times

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    where did you get this information?

InlineTube.com sells stainless steel hard brake lines (not sure if they have prebent for tundra or we have to bend our own) and states:

"Both stainless and OEM steel perform exactly the same for braking. The difference is the material. Both lines have the fittings on the ends, cloth wrap and spring wrap identical to the factory originals and are very hard to tell apart. The OEM steel lines are a tin coated steel line identical to the original and will last as long as the original. The stainless steel lines will neverrust tarnish or corrode."
    Stainless does rust, just does it a touch slower than non stainless.

I believe the OP is talking about braided brake lines which replace the rubber section of brake lines. It appears you are talking about the hard pre-bent lines.

Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless lines is what I am talking about in my first reply. Replacing the hard pre-bent lines with stainless will have no effect on brake pedal feel.

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

I thought he was looking for something to replacing his rusty hard lines.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    192 times

He may be.. I assumed when he said braided he was talking about flexible lines..

I live below the rust belt but my Tundra has a touch here and there.. I think I might take the bed off and POR the underside of the bed, frame and axle..

Once upon a time you paid for under coat at the dealer as an extra. No one does that anymore.