Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

Liked
    2824 times
    Images

Default Re: Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by yamatoy View Post
    Aren't the 4600's stiffer though?
    What do you mean by "stiffer"? Shock/strut performance and ride characteristics are very subjective and are highly reliant on the driving manner, road type, and typical load rate of the vehicle.

The 4600s have a compression damping rate of 815 newtons/.52ms and rebound damping of 3,325 newtons/.52ms. Compare that to the 5100 series which has a higher compression damping rate (965 newtons/.52ms) but a lower rebound rate (3,030 newtons/.52ms; to account for the coil preload asserted with the lifted applications).

I went from the stock Tokikos crammed under a 2.5" DayStar spacer lift to the 5100s on top notch and my opinion is that both rebound and compression are far superior with the 5100s. I've heard folks call them "stiffer", but I wouldn't define it as such.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    What do you mean by "stiffer"? Shock/strut performance and ride characteristics are very subjective and are highly reliant on the driving manner, road type, and typical load rate of the vehicle.

The 4600s have a compression damping rate of 815 newtons/.52ms and rebound damping of 3,325 newtons/.52ms. Compare that to the 5100 series which has a higher compression damping rate (965 newtons/.52ms) but a lower rebound rate (3,030 newtons/.52ms; to account for the coil preload asserted with the lifted applications).

I went from the stock Tokikos crammed under a 2.5" DayStar spacer lift to the 5100s on top notch and my opinion is that both rebound and compression are far superior with the 5100s. I've heard folks call them "stiffer", but I wouldn't define it as such.
    Stiffer as in a firmer and harsher ride and less isolation from road imperfections. Not really too noticeable on fairly good road surfaces, but on ones in need of repair and brick roads, definitely noticeable. I usually find myself driving way under the speed limit on brick roads because if I go any faster I feel like too much stress is being put on the truck.

Liked
    2824 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yamatoy View Post
    Stiffer as in a firmer and harsher ride and less isolation from road imperfections. Not really too noticeable on fairly good road surfaces, but on ones in need of repair and brick roads, definitely noticeable. I usually find myself driving way under the speed limit on brick roads because if I go any faster I feel like too much stress is being put on the truck.
    Your tires are going to have a huge impact on road feel as well. What brand/size/ply/psi tires are you running?
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Your tires are going to have a huge impact on road feel as well. What brand/size/ply/psi tires are you running?
    I have the 20 inch Enkei deep six XSP wheels. Tires are 295/45/20 Hankook Ventus RH06. I will be replacing them soon with Yokohama Parada Spec X's though. I ran those before the Hankooks and would of gotten them instead, but they were on national backorder at the time. First set of tires were BF Goodrich G Force KDW's I think they're called. Great dry grip, but tramlined bad and got extremely noisy as the tread wore down. I run about 35 psi in all tires.

Liked
    2824 times
    Images

Those 45 aspect ratio tires are not known for giving a cushioned ride. You're going to have an awful lot of road feel regardless of what shocks you choose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12