Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

I have an '02 Tundra (215K) that has never had any suspension component replaced.
    Next week my mechanic is replacing front springs, struts and associated hardware, e.g. mounting brackets, etc...
    In the back shocks are being replaced.

I'm also having the brakes done (front - PowerStop rotors and pads / rear- Beck Arnley Brake drums and shoes).

My quandary concerns the front suspension. I am looking at the Monroe Quick Strut replacement. I am strictly a street guy with most of my driving being highway.
    The alternatives are: buy the quick strut and use a KYB or Bilstein 5100 strut rather than the Monroe product at least that way I get all the new components in one easy package.
    Or, buy an OEM coil spring and either KYB or Bilstein 5100 strut but now have to purchase all the extras required to do a good replacement job. Also, is the Monroe Coil Spring a decent spring considering my driving habits?
    For the rear probably a KYB or Bilstein 5100 replacement.

Not looking to 'lift' the truck. Just want to stay stock. From what I've read the Bilstein 5100 will work for that.
    Any thoughts and or comments greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    52 times

Default Re: Front and Rear Springs, Strut and Shock Replacement

IMO the Monroe strut would be a downgrade. I used OME springs and Bilstein shocks.
    2003 SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    5100 Bilstien shocks on 3rd notch -- 265/75/r16 Nitto Terra Grappler tires -- Hellwig rear sway bar

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Would replacing the Monroe Quick Strut with the KYB or Bilstein strut be an adequate compromise? There just isn't any definitive information out there concerning the Quick Strut. I hate to spend all the money for each individual component, but I will, if the Monroe is really inadequate.
    Thanks for your response.

Liked
    721 times
    Images

What about going with OME springs, and since youre not lifting, go with Bilstein 4600 or OME struts? Why go with 5100s adjustables if youre not going to lift and take advantage of their adjustability? The 4600s are what Toyota uses in their stock TRD suspension packages.
    Call Wheelersoffroad to see if they have the 4600s, I know they carry 5100s. They also have the Tacoma isolators you would need with the OME coils, as well as lift blocks or AALs, and Ubolts, if you need to just level out the rear.

Slee Offroad also has the OME coils and OME Nitrocharger struts to go with them.

Either way, both places should have everything you would need, all in one order.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Stone Blue.
    That was one question I did have as I was reading a lot about the adjust-ability of the 5100's. Certainly makes sense to go with a strut that is non-adjustable since I am not looking at lifting.

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Avoid the QuikStrut product! Repeated anecdotal evidence says that coil sag is horrible. Monroe just does not have the engineering experience in the light truck/SUV market.

I would contact AJUSA.COM or SHOCKWAREHOUSE.COM and see if they have the Bilstein 4600 (aka "HD") shocks and struts in stock. You can go OME for the coils, or just pick up a replacement OEM set. TOYTEC.COM also has stock height replacement Eibach coils that will work as well. IIRC, they're about $160 for the pair.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    721 times
    Images

Slightly offtopic, but anyone know why all the AJUSA threads in the Vendor forum and Group Buy/Special Offers forums disappeared?...Are they no longer a site sponsor?

Liked
    15 times

I would recommend the Bilstein HD shocks and struts. That's what I have on my truck for the past 60,000 miles or so. Slightly stiffer than stock and handles great!

Liked
    721 times

If you're looking for factory ride get the Bilstein 4600's. AJUSA.com has them on sale right now for $81 for the fronts and $60 for the rears with free shipping until the 25th. That's what your truck came with from the factory
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
    If you're looking for factory ride get the Bilstein 4600's. AJUSA.com has them on sale right now for $81 for the fronts and $60 for the rears with free shipping until the 25th. That's what your truck came with from the factory
    If the Bilstein 4600's are the same thing as the HD's, then I'm pretty sure they did not come on Tundras from the factory. Not even the TRD models. They are stiffer than factory shocks. I think most Tundras came with Tokicos?

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yamatoy View Post
    If the Bilstein 4600's are the same thing as the HD's, then I'm pretty sure they did not come on Tundras from the factory. Not even the TRD models. They are stiffer than factory shocks. I think most Tundras came with Tokicos?
    Bilstein made the TRD shocks for Toyota. The 4600 series are the aftermarket equivalent.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Bilstein made the TRD shocks for Toyota. The 4600 series are the aftermarket equivalent.
    Aren't the 4600's stiffer though?

Liked
    721 times
    Images

Well, I doubt they are any stiffer than the 5100's, which are touted as an off-road shock....And which the OP was considering getting.....

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    Well, I doubt they are any stiffer than the 5100's, which are touted as an off-road shock....And which the OP was considering getting.....
    I was just inquiring as to the stiffness of the 4600's due to the post made by Upbuilder that said he should go with them if he wants a factory ride even though the 4600's are indeed stiffer than factory shocks.

Liked
    721 times

Quote Originally Posted by yamatoy View Post
    I was just inquiring as to the stiffness of the 4600's due to the post made by Upbuilder that said he should go with them if he wants a factory ride even though the 4600's are indeed stiffer than factory shocks.
    Imo they are going to be the closest thing to the factory ride with an aftermarket shock. I have the 5100's and they are not stiff and harsh, firmer than stock, yes, but they soak up the little stuff comfortably while providing better road feel and a huge improvement off road.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast