Valve cover bolts

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Valve cover bolts

Liked
    15 times

Default Valve cover bolts

So I noticed a leak coming from where the passenger side valve cover meets the head. So I went to the dealer to pick up a new gasket and spark plug tube seals. When I went to remove the valve cover bolts, they all unscrewed with virtually no resistance. The Haynes manual says the torque specs for these are 53 in/lbs which obviously is not very tight at all, but these almost seemed like I could unscrew them with my bare fingers! Got me thinking that maybe this is the reason I'm experiencing a leak there. Nevertheless, I'm still going to replace the gasket though. Anyone else have a similar experience? Also, the valve covers have never been removed before, so it's not like someone was in there before and forgot to tighten them down enough.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    592 times
    Images

Default Re: Valve cover bolts

Prolly not much help, but I know when I had my 22R's, you only needed to go no more than about a full turn past finger tight. I think you get the leaks mostly because the rubber plugs and gaskets seem to harden up and shrink over time. I usually just loosened and retightened the valve cover nuts whenever I changed my oil to make sure it was all snug. just DONT bump or loosen the cover when you do it...I usually just loosened then tightened one nut at a time. Start with the center two, then do the end two.
    Probably overthinking it, but it was quick and easy, and I never had leaks again after putting in new gaskets and doing this. (I had three different 22R motors I did this on).

Also, did you use FIPG sealer or RTV at the front corners of both heads with the gasket?

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    Prolly not much help, but I know when I had my 22R's, you only needed to go no more than about a full turn past finger tight. I think you get the leaks mostly because the rubber plugs and gaskets seem to harden up and shrink over time. I usually just loosened and retightened the valve cover nuts whenever I changed my oil to make sure it was all snug. just DONT bump or loosen the cover when you do it...I usually just loosened then tightened one nut at a time. Start with the center two, then do the end two.
    Probably overthinking it, but it was quick and easy, and I never had leaks again after putting in new gaskets and doing this. (I had three different 22R motors I did this on).

Also, did you use FIPG sealer or RTV at the front corners of both heads with the gasket?
    I actually still have the valve cover off. The manual states to use RTV sealant, so that is what I was going to go and pick up from Autozone or wherever. What exactly is FIPG sealer? The manual does state to apply RTV sealant to the semicircular plugs at the BACK of the head. It doesn't mention anything about applying to the front though. Perhaps the 22r motor is different?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times

Odd as hell........but the last two days I was smelling oil..........thought that it was someone else, but today I went to the woods and when I stopped , I smelled it agian .....turnsout thevalve cover bolts were REAL loose........went home and "snugged" them up .....6 out of the lower 8 , 4 on each side........were lose.........went to town and back approx.......40 45 miles and no smell now........
    STATE OF CONFUSION

Supporter
    Liked
    97 times
    Images

I have the same issue on my V6, but I can only easily access like 8 of the 12 bolts. When I do get around to installing a new gasket and tightening all of the bolts, I am going to use blue loctite. Oh, and the dealer quoted $700, which is almost all labor! Hope ur V8 is easier.
    Oil leak
    Last edited by arseum; 11-24-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added link

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by arseum View Post
    I have the same issue on my V6, but I can only easily access like 8 of the 12 bolts. When I do get around to installing a new gasket and tightening all of the bolts, I am going to use blue loctite. Oh, and the dealer quoted $700, which is almost all labor! Hope ur V8 is easier.
    Oil leak
    $700 to replace valve cover gaskets?! F*#ckin crooks! Went ahead and checked the valve cover bolts on the other bank as well today and sure enough all were loose. All bolts on the V8 are easily accessible with a swivel socket.

Liked
    592 times
    Images

The FIPG is just Toyota's fancy version of RTV or similar sealant. (I'm not sure exactly what its made of). If you have the 2UZ, take a look at the diagrams in the FSM again...You should see a diagram right below the one that has the arrows pointing at the rear plugs...You should see two small squares at the front corners of the head, right near the cam gears, showing where to use the RTV.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    The FIPG is just Toyota's fancy version of RTV or similar sealant. (I'm not sure exactly what its made of). If you have the 2UZ, take a look at the diagrams in the FSM again...You should see a diagram right below the one that has the arrows pointing at the rear plugs...You should see two small squares at the front corners of the head, right near the cam gears, showing where to use the RTV.
    Too late, I already put everything back on. I put RTV on the two rear plugs only.

Liked
    2 times

My 2003 Tundra Access Cab V8 is just coming on to 9 years of age and 71,000 miles. I went out and checked the valve cover bolts. No oil leakage. Clean and shiny. I power wash the engine compartment regularly.
    But thanks for the "heads up". I'll check all the bolts tomorrow. Regards.
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Yes, mine were loose too when I went to change the gasket. Tightening them to 53" lbs probably would have solved the leak problem, but I changed the gasket and plug seals anyway. The plug seals are a real bugger. Make sure you have a few extra. They are easy to damage.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by george60 View Post
    My 2003 Tundra Access Cab V8 is just coming on to 9 years of age and 71,000 miles. I went out and checked the valve cover bolts. No oil leakage. Clean and shiny. I power wash the engine compartment regularly.
    But thanks for the "heads up". I'll check all the bolts tomorrow. Regards.
    I'd put money on it that they will be loose.

Quote Originally Posted by INDYMAC View Post
    Yes, mine were loose too when I went to change the gasket. Tightening them to 53" lbs probably would have solved the leak problem, but I changed the gasket and plug seals anyway. The plug seals are a real bugger. Make sure you have a few extra. They are easy to damage.
    I was under the impression that the plug seals were the rubber grommet things that go around the underside of each ignition coil. Needless to say, I didn't take the old ones off the valve cover and replace them. By the time I realized what I was supposed to replace, I had already put everything back on.