Electric cooling fan kit! - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Electric cooling fan kit!

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Default Re: Electric cooling fan kit!

Well I bought a Gen1 Tundra shoud new for a prototyping now I will just need the truck, it was rather easy building for the Gen2 as I have a 2012 Tundra, but I have already found the fans that I want to use, this is what I came up with because the Gen1 has a smaller radiator than the Gen2 and I have to use a smaller fan, but I have been told these have been used on bigblocks Chevelle's!

SPAL USA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    374 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    You need to drain out a little from the cooling system to remove the shroud. I drained out about a half a coffee can's worth of fluid when I removed my shroud today. One thing that I forgot to do was to place washers back on the studs for the water pump pulley and WOW I knew it RIGHT AWAY. Running without the stock clutch fan and while moving the truck runs the same temperature as before - 192 degrees. Stopped, in a drivethrough, the truck got up to 202 degrees. Outside temperature was 45 degrees.
    The shroud on my Tundra was 2 piece. I didn't have to remove any hoses or fluid when I installed my flex-a-lite fans. However, it would have been easier to get the stuff in and out of there without the upper rad hose in the way. But it was doable with it there. The whole install took less than an hour with the electrical work all prepped ahead of time.
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Yeah when I did the Dyno testing at MC racing in KC, I drove the truck up there with the clutch fan on and took the electric fan kit with me. When we dynoed it with the clutch fan I swapped everything, in about 15 minutes including draining a little coolant and dynoed it again.
    Last edited by texasranger96; 11-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

I should be getting the Tundra shroud this week so that I can have the draings made for the shroud I am just a scared that $550 is a little much for a electric fan kit for a truck that might have over 100,000 miles on it so I might just go a head and use the lincoln MarkVIII fan as I can sell it for like $350-$400.00 complete. I would prefer to do the dual 13" Spal fans but the price makes me feel uncomfortable, what are your thoughts?

Liked
    212 times
    Images

The flex-a-lite kit is $500 isn't it? And you can find a refurbished kit on eBay once in a while for $250+. I would love to buy a kit in the $350 price range, but don't want to sacrifice quality. I would like two fans.

01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 AC
    Camburg UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein shocks, 285 Duratracs on AR teflon wheels
    rear ARB air locker, electric fans, undercover snorkel, etc.

build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    The flex-a-lite kit is $500 isn't it? And you can find a refurbished kit on eBay once in a while for $250+. I would love to buy a kit in the $350 price range, but don't want to sacrifice quality. I would like two fans.
    Hey Sean.. and everyone else... right now at AutoAnything.com you can get the Flexalite kit for $459.00 Flexalite Fans, Flex-a-lite Electric Cooling Fans, Flex a lite Cooling Fans - shipped that is! Probably gonna be one of my next couple mods too, after I finally (hopefully) get the suspension squared away this weekend.
    seanpistol likes this.
    2004 TRD AccCab 4x4 - Bilstein 5100s (f&r), OME 885s, Camburg UCAs, diff. drop, Downey HD swaybar links,
    1.25" blocks(rear),
    Airaid Intake Tube & Synthaflow-Filter, 18" Magnaflow (single in/out) , Wheeler's Poly Anti-sway kit, Level 8 Tracker wheels (16x8.5), 265/75/16 Cooper AT3's, AVS visors, Stampede bugshield, clear corners, SS Nerf Bars, Black/Red Euro-tails, LED third-brake light, BigStick stub antenna, Tinted, Adrian Steel toolbox, TRD rolled exhaust tip, Ultragauge, LED interior conversion, Kenwood h/u, Alpine coaxials (f&r)

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Localsnap88 View Post
    Hey Sean.. and everyone else... right now at AutoAnything.com you can get the Flexalite kit for $459.00 Flexalite Fans, Flex-a-lite Electric Cooling Fans, Flex a lite Cooling Fans - shipped that is! Probably gonna be one of my next couple mods too, after I finally (hopefully) get the suspension squared away this weekend.
    I am quite certain that is not including the controller and I will sell the kit with the Mark VIII fan with controller and everything, the dual fan kit will not flow the same as the Mark VIII and it will be alot cheaper as well. About 4300CFM's.

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by texasranger96 View Post
    I am quite certain that is not including the controller and I will sell the kit with the Mark VIII fan with controller and everything, the dual fan kit will not flow the same as the Mark VIII and it will be alot cheaper as well. About 4300CFM's.
    no disrespect to what youre doing my man, good stuff. just fyi I do believe that kit I posted IS WITH the controller, as its mentioned in a response to someones question on the listing, and also because a couple weeks ago I believe there was a second Flexalite kit listed, a cheaper one that was just the fans and No controller included.
    Tundradrenalin and seanpistol like this.
    2004 TRD AccCab 4x4 - Bilstein 5100s (f&r), OME 885s, Camburg UCAs, diff. drop, Downey HD swaybar links,
    1.25" blocks(rear),
    Airaid Intake Tube & Synthaflow-Filter, 18" Magnaflow (single in/out) , Wheeler's Poly Anti-sway kit, Level 8 Tracker wheels (16x8.5), 265/75/16 Cooper AT3's, AVS visors, Stampede bugshield, clear corners, SS Nerf Bars, Black/Red Euro-tails, LED third-brake light, BigStick stub antenna, Tinted, Adrian Steel toolbox, TRD rolled exhaust tip, Ultragauge, LED interior conversion, Kenwood h/u, Alpine coaxials (f&r)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I rigged an electric fan when I had a jeep wrangler.. Over time the plastic started to get brittle due to heat and caused cracks.
    I gained about 1 mpg.

Anyone using this kit come up with MPG gains?

OP what kind of plastic material are you using for the housing?

Liked
    842 times
    Images

i believe the OP stated that he would be using 5052 aluminum for the adapter plate to mound the fans.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 211,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    61 times
    Images

To be exact it is 5052 that is CNC'd plasma cut and has a very duarable textured black powder coat finnish, the Spal fans have some type of modified plastic ( same as gun stocks) it is very durable and has 3yr warranty on the fans. The kit that I will be producing will be alot didfferent than the Flexalite.

The main problem that I have is I need to know if you guys will be able to spend $500-550.00 on the kit for the dual spal 13"s as I would trust it for towing, the cheaper model that I had plans for would be using a Mark VIII single 18" fan for around $350-400.00 that I would not guarantee for towing as it was orginally designed for a Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6. I will be recieving the shroud to do the drawings off today and the fans this week, I am willing to sell the first kit for $500.00 but I will need it soon, as I am getting ready to do the Titan fan kit and I can do them both at the same time, but if I don't have someone interrested on here I will not start on it.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Well I just got the shroud in now I just need the fans that I ordered and I can begin the process!

Liked
    842 times
    Images

is there anyway to determine if the 4.7 shroud is the same as the 3.4 shroud? i really want to convert to electric fans.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 211,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    61 times
    Images

If you get on rock auto and look at the shrouds for the Tundra V8 and V6 radiators, it apears that the water inlets are on the opposite sides and the V8 radiator is an inch" taller. I think I could just build a kit with the Linkoln Mark VIII single 19" fan for that application for like $350-$400.00 totally complete and wired up with a two speed controller, But I would need you to send me your shroud.

Liked
    374 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bpowa View Post
    I rigged an electric fan when I had a jeep wrangler.. Over time the plastic started to get brittle due to heat and caused cracks.
    I gained about 1 mpg.

Anyone using this kit come up with MPG gains?
    Flex-a-lite 775 installed on my 2005 Tundra for a few years now. I kept a mpg log for a while after I installed them. I have 7 months of data that showed a 14% gain in MPG.

It's pretty significant when you're talking about an engine that gets 14-17 mpg. I'm pretty pleased. Plastic looks good as new also.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.