Electric cooling fan kit!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Electric cooling fan kit!

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Default Electric cooling fan kit!

Hey guys how are you doing I have noticed that you guys have also been toying around with the idea of electric cooling fans for the Gen1 Tundra, as I have been building the kits for the Gen2 Tundra's and the Gen1's don't seem too difficult. I have access to a CNC plasma cutter and a source to powder coat, I believe it would be very easy to build them for the Gen1's using the DC controls 2SP relays Relay Controllers and Accessories and the MarkVIII fan as they are very cheap. I could build it similar to my Gen2 kit using a 5052 aluminum adater plate and the fan and powder coating of course for some where in the neighbor hood of $3-400.00 not including shipping but I will need a Gen1 as I live near KC. Here is my Tundra build!

Tundra cooling fan possibilities! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

So here is the updates I promised, I have spent about two keeks getting drawings made for programs to be produced so that the mounting plates could be cut out on a CNC plasma for more quality and precision. I currently have enough to do five kits not including the parts, I have also went to the DC controls PWM controller that variably controls the fans according to the engine temps. Something else that I am very happy about is the parts are now beeing powder coated with a textured black paint that is very similar to the under hood parts.
    I currently have an updated kit installed on my Tundra that is working very well with no problems, the new kits do not require the upper hose to be cut due to the probe that just pushes into the radiator fins and only rquire two wires to be hooked up power and ground. The controller has wires that can be hooked up for fan operation with the A/C on and wires so the fan can be turned off for low water crossing. I am asking in the $5-600.00 range for the kits not including shipping. Here is some new pics with directions, Thankyou for beeing so supportive!

Here is what is included in the kit, fan assembly prewired, extra wiring for optional A/C and manual control, and new bolts for clutch fan delete!
    1.The first step is to disconnect ground from battery and driverside fender.

2. Remove engine cover as it well help to have it out of the way.

3. Remove fuse cover and disconnect power wire using a 10mm and then with a small flat head insert into tabs to slide power wire up along with plastic cover and then remove the cover as it will not be needed.

4. Remove lower engine cover with ratchet and extension, 3 10mm in front and 2 12mm in front and 3 12mm in back, ounce removed the cover will held on by two hooks in front so slide them to driverside and lower.

5. Locate the drain **** on the bottom of radiator and drain about half a gallon of coolant into a clean container as it will be reused later. Note: this will make it possible to remove upper radiator hose and the cap can be taken off to increase flow ounce a little of the pressure has been relieved via hose.

6. Remove upper hose to gain access to radiator area and to remove shroud.

7. Locate clutch fan bolts and remove the nuts by holding one bolt with wrench to keep the pulley from spinning while loosening another. Note: The nuts will come off but not the studs, the studs will have to be accessed ounce the shroud and clutch fan is removed, the studs have to be removed to install the new bolts, by tightening two nuts together on each stud efectively creating a way to remove studs with ratchet.

8. Disconnect overflow hose from radiator near cap, and unfasten hose clamp from transmission hoses from passenger side shroud using a long slender flat head screwdriver and move hoses out of way for reoval of shroud.

9. Remove the two screws holding the shroud at the top, and remove both the shroud and clutch fan together, taking care not to damage radiator fins and spilling the coolant out of shroud overflow tank.

10. At this time you may remove clutch fan studs and install new bolts per vehicle torque specs.

11. Now install the new electric cooling fan assembly and take care not to damage radiator fins. Note the lower radiator hose will make diffcult to slide into place but it will fit, now install bolts per vehicle torque specs.

12. Locate a clean rag and some alcahol and clean raditor hose and water necks contact points of coolant as there is a possibilty of leaking, and then install factory radiator hose with there spring clamps.

13. Locate factory shroud/overflowtank and drain the remainder coolant into the clean container for reuse and remove hose and reinstall onto new overflow tank.

14. Run the two wires for power and ground from the cooling fan kit to driver side fender, using a zip tie and a the supplied wire clamp to left cooling fan bolt, and then attaching black ground to the driverside fender grounding point and the power wire to fuse box power lug and tighten all hardware to vehicle torque specs.

15. Reinstall negative batter cable to factory torque specs and reinstall fuse over.

16. Gain access to the black sensor wire behind lower cooling fan rubber relief valve and insall end into a cooling fin, at this time you may reinstall lower engine cover and remove all tools from engine caompartment making sure to refill radiator and coolant tank with the used coolant.

17. Drive and test the operation of the fans as it is set for a 180* theremostat and can adjusted via side screw, read directions for fan controller carefully!

If there is any questions regarding the kit contact me at 660-441-3569, I will include the shipping container for the fan controller and directions. If there is any questions regarding the controller the manufacturers contact info is in there as well, save the electric fan controller box for warranty issues!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

Default Re: Electric cooling fan kit!

Sweeeeeet, I like that your shroud covers the entire radiator.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Yeah the only down side is I need a Gen1 Tundra to figure it out but I think it will be easy and very cost effective.

Liked
    674 times

Nice kit, looks factory! I'd be all in near $300, but that probably leaves you little room for profits. Post up when you figure out the pricing. I'm currently running without a fan and was going to build my own between now and spring.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Well I know for a fact the fan will fit on the truck but I would need a truck to check out make sure it would work out the way I want it too, probably somewhere around $375.00

Liked
    191 times
    Images

awesome! i want electric fans!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

That looks very nice and I would be interested in one. I hate the noise and the power robbing of the stock fan.
    2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    2773 times
    Images

How many amps does a setup like that draw?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    61 times
    Images

The kit is using a PWM controller so it is totally variable according to the engine temp, but if both fans were running full speed they draw 40-50 amps but mine have never ran full blast it never got that hot, no matter what I was doing! And you guys have to keep in mine that the kit is for a Gen 2 Tundra not the Gen 1 but it would be similar with the plate and one Mark VIII fan and no over flow tank as I believe the tank is not mounted on the shroud, right?

Liked
    1926 times
    Images

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0784.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	628.5 KB 
ID:	91941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passenger Shot of True Flow.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	561.1 KB 
ID:	91942

Let me know if you need more pictures. I might be interested in having one done up for my truck. Gotta weigh the time the cost of driving out there against a new set from flex-a-lite
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    264,521 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Hey man I was wondering where you live, and if I had the shroud I could go ahead and have the plate built and without the whole for the fan and then ounce I had the truck I would figure it out. if we had the fan already and the controller we could get started and then ounce done I could have the plans made and the powder coating done and then just install! I have a pice of 5052 that I would be able to cut two of those plates out of!

Liked
    674 times

I've got a shroud sitting here I could probably ship to you if that helps.

Lots of room in there. Excuse the dirt, hunting season you know

Last edited by UPbuilder; 11-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    61 times
    Images

I just got some measurements off the world wide web of the Gen1 tundra shroud and the the piece that I had left over should be good enough too make two of the adapter plates, and the mark VIII fan is the right size and it is proven, just give me you number and we can work something out on the shipping!

Liked
    61 times
    Images

As soon as I get an order I will start working on this, as I need some type of money flow to locate the vehicle and the shroud and then have the parts drawn up and cut on a CNC then powder coated!

Liked
    388 times
    Images

im interested in this mod. ill be checking back for sure.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 204,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" Sub with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Offroad LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast