worn steering rack bushings = squeaky?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stone cookie

Thread: worn steering rack bushings = squeaky?

Liked
    106 times

Default worn steering rack bushings = squeaky?

Anyone experience this? At first I thought it was my uniballs making all that groaning noise - I think it could be bad bad steering rack bushings. The rack moves quite a bit when I turn the steering wheel side to side - When my daughter goes down for a nap, I'll have my wife jump in the truck to give it a few turns so I can take a listen and visually inspect in each fender well to see what my balls are up to as well as take a better look at what the rack is doing.
    shatto likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    585 times

Default Re: worn steering rack bushings = squeaky?

"Quite a bit" meaning the rack moves, side to side a fraction, or slops an inch or more?
    The big rubber mounts will absorb vibration and bumps but the rack should only move
    side to side imperceptibly.
    I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
    98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
    Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
    623,000 miles.
    On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
    +Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
    +Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Liked
    106 times

Default Re: worn steering rack bushings = squeaky?

Update... It's my passenger side uniball that's groaning. The drivers side is nice and quiet. Interesting that my passenger side uniball "cup" was still filled with water and the drivers side was completely dry (i had given both sides a thourough cleaning about an hour before returning to the truck). I wonder if there is a whole bunch of dust and grime in there that's contributing to the noise.