PCV Valve and Gromment replacement...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 4doubleyaD
  • 2 Post By INDYMAC

Thread: PCV Valve and Gromment replacement...

Liked
    20 times

Default PCV Valve and Gromment replacement...

I ordered some things from Rockauto. I must say that their shipping charges are rediculous.

Anyway I have PCV valve and Gromment comming. I've read stories about people loosing part of their Gromment when pulling it out. I understand that there is a "catcher" to keep it falling very far. Is it easy to fish out the piece that falls in?

Any tips appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Default re: PCV Valve and Gromment replacement...

I don't think you could fish it out. Having done this personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The piece or pieces will just rest below until you eventually have to remove the cover for new seals or gasket. Good luck!

You might want to consider checking your new valve a few times after the replacement, just to make sure that the old grommet pieces aren't getting sucked into it.
    Last edited by INDYMAC; 11-26-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Default Re: PCV Valve and Gromment replacement...

Use a pair of needle nose pliers and be patient while removing the old grommet. It will be somewhat dried out and adhered to the aluminum, which is why when you go to remove it, it crumbles easily and pieces can fall in there if you're not careful. Most of the grommet is actually underneath on the inside. Use a small flat head screwdriver and carefully loosen the grommet around the outside before you pull on it with the needle nose. If pieces do fall in there, try using a Shop Vac over the hole to suck them back out.

Also, IMO these are the type of parts worth getting at the dealership... Much better quality, same price, no shipping.
    Last edited by 4doubleyaD; 11-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Jonesy likes this.

Liked
    20 times

I had thought about having a clothes hanger or piece of wire bent in a hook shape to put in the gromment hole to try and catch what falls when i pull it out.

I checked two dealerships and neither had the valve or gromment in stock. Dealership service and parts department are pitiful around here.

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    822 times
    Images

What is this grommet of which you speak? Last time I replaced my PCV valve; I believe twice already, I just pull off the vacuum line(s) and yank it out and replace it.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

The grommet is what you pulled the PCV valve from when you yanked it. These grommets deteriorate with age (harden, become brittle, and fall apart). That's why the base portion tends to fall into the valve train, rather than come out as one piece. It's a good idea to change the grommet everytime you change or clean the valve. That way, you have no worries.
    jack mccarthy and Jonesy like this.