1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering issues

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default Steering issues

Hi All,
    I just purchased an 05 with 205K (not sure what that is in miles) on it - it has a 2.5" levelling kit and I'm running Goodyear duratrack 18" studded tires. (275/75/R18). I've noticed while driving at highway speeds that the steering feels a little loose and there's a bit of play - I find myself having to constantly adjust the wheel in order to keep'er straight.

I've heard sometimes the levelling kits can do this but I'm really new to trucks so can't back that up. Before I bring it in to have it looked at, I thought I'd post it on here and see what you guys think.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    788 times
    Images

Default Re: Steering issues

I would speculate tie-rods as primary cause...but you should also check steering rack for leaks, worn bushings/rack looseness, and upper & lower ball joints. Then inspect all the A-arm bushings, too.
    What does the level kit consist of?....Did you buy it with the same tires that are on it, and did the PO give you any history on when the lift & tires were installed? and most important, if a proper alignment was done? Anytime suspension & tires are changed, an alignment should be done. Before going for an alignment, do a search here for "DJs alignment specs".

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

I can't say much about the kit but what I can say is: the truck failed inspection because the guy I bought it off of was running 33's x 12.5 inch tires and they were rubbing against the strut assembly. (the truck was purchased out of province thus the need to have it inspected in order to get it insured).

I should mention too: there is some humming noise when the vehicle is running at normal and highway speeds which to me, sounds like bearings but what do I know!. I can say that on my camry when I turned sharply to the left, I heard a grinding noise; not to hard to figure out that is was a wheel bearing issue - replaced and the noise went away.

Liked
    788 times
    Images

With 12.5s, you'll need wheel spacers. The humming is probably the tires rubbing against the Upper A-arm. If the lift is a spacer type, and the tires are rubbing, you're wheel bearings could very well be going, as well as ball joints. Sounds like you need to check the CV shafts/boots as well. Unfortunately, you better basically check your whole front end.

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

thanks - ya, the 12.5's were removed a while ago. I'm running 10.5's or whatever 275mm equates to- maybe the previous owner did some damage running those tires without spacers? I'll ask my buddy to have a look - should I take it it and get an alignment done in the mean time? Apparently there's a shop that has a top of the line machine to do it.

Liked
    1841 times
    Images

what kind of maintenance has been done on the truck? with 155,000 miles, it is not unheard of for your front-end to need refreshing (bushings, tie rods, shocks, etc.) if it hasn't been loved.

humming could be the tires.

assuming you have 4wd, grease the prop.

may as well order up a set of steering rack bushings right now; you need them.

are you shocks original? if so, plan on replacing them and you may as well go with bilstein 5100s what will allow you to yank you level kit and run a shock that is built for the lift.

i'd do all the work asap and then go get the alignment with DJs specs. doing it now and not having to redo it after you do all the work it needs will only save you time, money, and potentially bad tire wear.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

The previous owner faxed to me the service records. It shows at 196000 the front and rear shocks were replaced, steering gear replaced (bushings and bolts, rack and pinion), lower ball joints. Aignment done when tires, rims and leveling kit installed. Along with battery replacement, diff and trany fluid change. Timing belt done at 167k.

So I'm thinking getting the bearings looked at and possibly an alignment since the tires I just put on are new and quite smaller than the one that were on there.
    Last edited by Chuckster_ca; 11-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Liked
    841 times
    Images

also with a lift you want to set the Caster higher for better highway stability. that will most likely solve the steering issue. like said look up DJs alignment numbers and have it done to them.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 211,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Thanks - it's on the hoist as I type. Buddy figures maybe tie rods, CV joints. We'll have a look and make the necessary changes before getting an alignment done.

Regardless of what we find, I will get an alignment and use those specs as outlined in DJ's. About that: do I simply tell the mechanic that I want those exact numbers for those 3 settings? I'm concerned they'll come back and say something along the lines of "oh, those numbers don't match with what Toyota says" or you know, something similar to that.

Thanks

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

If the alignment tech knows what he is doing and is properly trained on the equipment, he should have no problem meeting/getting very close to those specs. They are all within the Toyota specs predefined in the alignment software so there is no reason whatsoever for them to balk at it. If they do, it means they don't know what they are doing and are not willing to admit it. Find someone else. Ideally, you want to find a shop that uses one of the Hunter alignment consoles and understands the benefits of using the CAMM (Control Arm Movement Monitor) screen.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Brought it in and this is what they said: specified degrees are not attainable due to rusted sleeves on adj. bolts.

They did get them to

Camber: Lf: 0.2. Rf: 0.1.
    Caster: L.f: 1.2. R.f: 1.4.
    Toe: Lf. 0.03. Rf: 0.05

Total toe: 0.07

Camber: Lr: -0.5, rr: -0.2.
    Toe: Lr: -0.25. Rr: -0.02.
    Total toe: -0.27

Dj's specs:
    camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.00 degrees
    total toe: +0.08 degrees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	92195  
    Last edited by Chuckster_ca; 12-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.