1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Loose Sway Bar?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

Default Re: Loose Sway Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by kylekruchok View Post
    So, got back from the stealership (actually, it was nice - they didn't charge me to look at it) - but here's what they said:

Shocks are fine. Nothing appears to be loose / bent / broken / etc (from a visual inspection, with the car up on the lift) - though, he took it for a test drive, and it's definitely 'clunking' - sounds like metal on metal, as if there's a bump-stop missing, or bushing that's just gone.

Any idea where I could / should look with this information? Front passenger side.

It is hard, no, make that impossible for me to believe that no one has noticed what you have already went through at the dealer and they STILL did not tell you what exactly was wrong with the truck?, other than "Yes, it's definitely clunking."

WTF???

Yeah, it was nice, they didn't charge you but they didn't find out what was wrong either. Like going to a dentist for tooth pain and they tell you that they have looked all around your mouth but you leave with the same pain you went in with. That is F-ed up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by kylekruchok View Post
    So, got back from the stealership (actually, it was nice - they didn't charge me to look at it) - but here's what they said:

Shocks are fine. Nothing appears to be loose / bent / broken / etc (from a visual inspection, with the car up on the lift) - though, he took it for a test drive, and it's definitely 'clunking' - sounds like metal on metal, as if there's a bump-stop missing, or bushing that's just gone.

Any idea where I could / should look with this information? Front passenger side.

It is hard, no, make that impossible for me to believe that no one has noticed what you have already went through at the dealer and they STILL did not tell you what exactly was wrong with the truck?, other than "Yes, it's definitely clunking."

WTF???

Yeah, it was nice, they didn't charge you but they didn't find out what was wrong either. Like going to a dentist for tooth pain and they tell you that they have looked all around your mouth but you leave with the same pain you went in with. Then later you go back on Do It Yourself Dentistry and ask the guys what they think the problem might be. That is F-ed up.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

One more thought. Are you 100% positive it's coming from the front end?

John
    CoachRon likes this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    44 times
    Images

Hey all, sorry for the lack of reply -

I haven't had the time during daylight hours (when the weather is decent enough to get under the truck) to look at the problem... Hopefully this weekend. I'm just babying it going up and over bumps - I still haven't really taken it off of the asphalt (save for one instance).

In any case, here's a video of my problem, and how the truck is parked, when I notice the bar being loose.

Given this information, what should I look at? The sway bar bushings?

Thanks!

Supporter
    Liked
    11 times

I would replace the sway bar bushings. You should not be able to move the sway bar by hand like that at all. Make sure the bushing clamps and the sway bar links are tightened to FSM torque specs. Due to the excessive movement by hand, I would also replace the sway bar links. Seems like you are getting side to side movement which is coming from the sway bar links. The link bushings are probably shot. Check this thread out for replacing the sway bar links....http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-sway-bar-end/

Liked
    789 times
    Images

Yeah, you definately need to change the bushings. I just got a set of Prothane bushings myself. You can buy just the two frame bushings by themselves, or they have sets that include 4 link bushings also.

If you get aftermarket bushings, you may have to measure your sway bar first. Not sure if its an issue with the later 1st Gens, but I found out the '00-'01s, there were 2 differenst sizes of bars: a 23mm and a 24mm. I couldnt find what the application differences are, as BOTH say they fit ALL applications. I used a set of calipers to measure the bar diameter.

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Like they said. ^^ Bushings are bad. May also be loose bolts/something else, but those bushings are definitely bad.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    44 times
    Images

I managed to get the truck into the garage today after a quick bath, and sure 'nuff - the sway bar is still loose when parked on an even surface (but I'm sure many of you could have that figured out).

New sway bar bushings, and end links ordered - should have everything by the 2nd or so!

Since I don't have a torque wrench, are the torque specs required for these fixes needing to be *exact* or - can they just be estimated?

Also - as far as diameter goes - the 04 model came in a 24mm, or 28mm - depending on whether or not the offroad package was installed (assuming that's what the TRD is?) - I've got the TRD, so I opted with the 28mm.
    Last edited by kylekruchok; 12-22-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Liked
    1 times

CoachRon has it correct No matter how truck is parked bar will not be loose. If loose it is installed incorrectly, broken or has excessively worn parts. You say sometimes it is tight so links are still connected.
    By the way you say dealer service dept. inspected, but did not say what they told you was problem. Oh yes I reread tech drove it clunked he did not inspect to find out what noise was. Wow great mechanick.
    Google anti sway bar install.
    I have broken bars and end links off roading in extreme crawler type terain where bar should have been disconnected.
    There probably isn`t much of any thing I have not broken over the past 60 years of automotive use and abuse except for rod and main bearings and ring and pinions.
    Watched your video. You have excessively worn parts.
    If you are going to offroad a lot leave it loose for better articulation , unless the noise bothers you. If you want to offroad a lot and want to replace the worn out parts use stock or softer bushings instead of the aftermarket urethane (harder) bushings for the best articulation with bar hooked up. Or use the good stuff ( for road ) and disconnect bar when offroad. Prefered but a PITA unless you can use quick disconnects.
    Last edited by buzz&duff; 12-22-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Liked
    63 times
    Images

They can be estimated. Tighten them pretty good too (don't get crazy though). There is quite a bit of force on those parts and if the bolts/nuts aren't tight enough, you'll get a "clunk".
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.