Loose Sway Bar?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Loose Sway Bar?

Liked
    44 times
    Images

Do-It-Yourself Loose Sway Bar?

Hey all! New here, with an '04 (Tundra) Double Cab, 4x4, AT - SR5 (pretty sure they all were, but whatever).

Bought the vehicle from a stealership because I kinda needed 4x4, and it runs and drives great on a smooth road, but once I get into any bumpy or soft terrain, I notice a clunking coming fromt he front end. Should I be worried about this? My parent's F-350 did the same thing, but I guess that could have had the problem as well?

Upon inspection of it this evening, my sway bar is loose - i.e., I can move it with my bare hands, yet all the nuts and bolts are tight. Is this normal?

What else could be causing this?

Looking forward to responses, and keeping the vehicle for a long time!

Thanks,

K-Dawg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    792 times
    Images

Default Re: Loose Sway Bar?

Check the bushings, and the brackets. If you really wanna check the bushings over good, its only two bolts & two nuts (one of each on each side) to pull both brackets off. Then you can pop the bushings right off the swaybar to inspect them. Should take all of 10 mins.
    kylekruchok likes this.

Liked
    44 times
    Images

Thanks, Stone!

So, should I be able to wiggle the bar around by hand? On my other vehicles, I haven't been able to - but I'm not entirely certain on the workings of this particular truck.

Liked
    8 times

Check the end links & ball joints.
    Last edited by Pushrod; 11-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Liked
    792 times
    Images

I guess it depends....You dont want it really tight, or it will act as a damper and basically stiffen up your shocks....Making them work harder and give you a stiffer ride.
    Then again, you dont it to be really loose either, or it could possibly shift more to one side than the other, and I would imagine also wouldnt do its job properly, giving you more sway in corners...??
    I guess you want it snug, not sloppy, so it would take some effort to move it side to side, but again, really tight wouldnt be good either.

Liked
    2360 times

My sway bar does not move at all and no clunking. Check the end links as already suggested above. Could be that your bushings are worn and need replacement. There should be no clunking sound from the front of your truck - maybe on something made in detroit but not an American made Tundra.
    tundrunk and CoachRon like this.
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    44 times
    Images

So, got back from the stealership (actually, it was nice - they didn't charge me to look at it) - but here's what they said:

Shocks are fine. Nothing appears to be loose / bent / broken / etc (from a visual inspection, with the car up on the lift) - though, he took it for a test drive, and it's definitely 'clunking' - sounds like metal on metal, as if there's a bump-stop missing, or bushing that's just gone.

Any idea where I could / should look with this information? Front passenger side.

Liked
    792 times
    Images

First, and easiest thing/place to check, would be to jack up the front right, pull the wheel, and with the suspension at full droop, grab the rotor and swing the whole spindle/rotor/caliper assembly full swing...While you move it, watch the top of the spindle. See if it hits the coil spring at full lock....If you have a 2nd jack, put it under the LBJ, and raise the suspension in like 1" increments...Keep checking to see if there is any spindle to coil contact by moving the spindle/rotor/caliper assembly thru full swing, lock to lock....

After that, I dont know....??

Liked
    2577 times
    Images

Lifting the truck will place tension on the sway bar, masking the fact that it is loose and has excessive play. When the truck is lifted by the frame, the weight of the wheels/tires and the force of the springs will cause the sway bar to appear tight. No man I know has the arm strength to budge 100lbs of weight and 550ftlbs of spring. If you can move it by hand while your vehicle is on the ground, it is too loose.

A quick way to find out if it is your problem is to remove the entire bar and take a drive(careful, it will lean a lot). If you don't want to remove the whole thing, just unbolt the links and secure the bar ends with zip ties or something similar so that it doesn't catch on anything. If the sound goes away, you found the problem and you will just need to replace the bushings and/or links. If not, post again and we'll be happy to help you.
    Remmy700P and Stone_Blue like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    44 times
    Images

So, a couple of things I've noted.

Before I took it to the dealership (and what I based my judgement on in the initial post) - the sway bar was loose because I had it parked halfway on a curb. The passenger side (front and rear) tyres were on the sidewalk, and the driver side (front and rear) tyres were on the street (about 6" difference). The truck was leaning, and pointed downhill.

When the truck points uphill, and is level (both tyres on the same surface - left and right), the sway bar is tight.

I have yet to (but probably will tomorrow, if it's not raining) (VIVA OREGON WINTER), check it on level ground. If all's tight when level, I'll take the sway bar off (should be able to, and put it back on by hand, right?) then drive it around a bit. If I still hear the noise, what are my options?

The mechanic took it for a drive as well, and noted the problem - so at least I know I'm not paranoid.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

I'm in agreement with the stabilizer links. They don't necessarily have to be broken, but may be loose or the bushings junk, both of which you wouldn't know unless you checked them individually. I replaced mine and the clunking went away. A week or so later it was back. I found that one of them had loosened up so I tightened the nut and all better. Good luck.

John
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I would bet a pretty penny that it has nothing to do with your sway bar. On level ground you have no movement, the bushing are still intacked (if they were worn, you WOULD have play in the sway bar), AND you said it sounds like "metal on metal" when it "clunks", that will eliminate the sway bar...and that's based on how its mounted in there.

Ball joints and tie rods tend to make noise more when you turn than when hitting bumps. They will usually "pop" when they start to go.

I would look at the upper control arm mounting bolts and bushings, then (and hopefully not) the lower cam bolts and arm bushings. If they seem all good, then look at a bad shock.

Remember that the noise comes with up and down movement of the suspention, and those are the parts you need to focus on.

Good luck!
    "When all else fails, lock the hubs and head for the neighbors lawn!"

www.bcdperformance.com

Liked
    2989 times
    Images

Note that the sway bar ends have an oval-shaped hole and the links are round, so the end links can move around inside this oval if the bushings are shot, the nut isn't torqued enough, and/or the entire bushing assembly isn't packed with enough grease.

Been there, done that. When I replaced by sway bar bushings with Wheeler's set, I didn't pack enough grease before sliding that top bushing in place. Got all kinds of clunking noise. Pulled the nut, washer and top bushing off, packed the entire "oval" in the sway bar end with grease, reinstalled everything and.... noise gone.

I hope you find it. Tracking down noises are a PITA.
    Stone_Blue likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had what seems to be the exact same problem. The sway bar end links were bad, not broken but there was just enough play in them to create a clunk. Replaced them and it drives like new.

Liked
    63 times
    Images

A sway bar will also clunk (metal-on-metal) if the nuts aren't tight where the links connect to the LCAs. If you can move that sway bar by hand though, something is loose or worn. No matter how the truck is parked, you shouldn't be able to move that sway bar.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.