911 - stripped rear diff fill bolt leaking gear oil

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 911 - stripped rear diff fill bolt leaking gear oil

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Default 911 - stripped rear diff fill bolt leaking gear oil

Someone helping me do some maintenance on my truck today used an impact wrench to put the 15/16 rear diff fill bolt back in after we topped off the gear oil..... now it's stripped. It won't tighten or come out, just spins. I drove around the block and it's leaking gear oil. I'm supposed to drive the truck from Idaho to Oklahoma this weekend, so I need to solve this quickly.

What can I do to fix this?! Thanks for the help TS, you helped me change my timing belt successfully this weekend.

EDIT: I seem to be assuming that I stripped the threads on the diff itself and not just the threads on the bolt. What are the chances the threads on the bolt are all that stripped and I just need a new bolt?
    Last edited by seanpistol; 11-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Default Re: 911 - stripped rear diff fill bolt leaking gear oil

Tomorrow morning I'm going to attempt to get the bolt out and then tap the hole to a larger size. Wondering if anyone has better advice than that, maybe speaking from experience.
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    Tomorrow morning I'm going to attempt to get the bolt out and then tap the hole to a larger size. Wondering if anyone has better advice than that, maybe speaking from experience.
    This is what I would do. You could always swap it out later if you feel uncomfortable with your new large tapped plug.

Liked
    719 times

Try wedging something under it and pry as you turn to get it out. Wood chisels work good for that, if you don't mind dinging them up.
    seanpistol likes this.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    407 times
    Images

why in zuseus bunghole would you use an impact on something like that? hope you get it fixed!
    Jason
    It's paid off and and starts when i turn the key

If You seek advice, then LISTEN with your EARS not your MOUTH.....

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 01TulsaTundra View Post
    This is what I would do. You could always swap it out later if you feel uncomfortable with your new large tapped plug.
    swap it out later?

Liked
    719 times

If you can't save the threads you could weld a new bung right on top of the old one. 1/2" pipe plug would work for that.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    2072 times
    Images

Wow. Wooooowwwwww wow. Dude. Okay. I need a minute here.

Alright.

If you pull on the bolt with a pair of vice grips is it still holding in there? If so there are threads on the far end of the bolt inside the differential holding it in. If you stripped the threads on the differential housing I think the bolt would come right out. It may be possible to band aid this with some rubber and wire wrapped really tight between the nut head and the differential housing but I would not do that on my own truck and drive it.

I think you can back it out of there using said vice grips and two flat head screwdrivers wedged on either side while turning the bolt with the vice grips accompanied by a simultaneous outward pulling motion with the vice grips. Probably would be even better to have another set of hands to work the flat heads and keep them positioned.

Going to need to do a REALLY good flush of the differential to get any shavings out of there.
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 11-30-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Hippo likes this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    1752 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZapcoTundra View Post
    zuseus bunghole
    if it doesn't clear up in a few days, you can probably get a shot for that.
    tundrunk and Hippo like this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2296 times
    Images

My good buddy uses his impact gun to tighten everything... except when he helps me on my truck. I hide that damn thing, I hate them.

What Lizard said sounds reasonable, and if you are going to try tapping that out for the next size thread, be sure to change your fluid before you go driving it. I doubt it will leak enough fluid to cause any harm while driving, the fluid shouldn't touch that hole when cold at rest. When warm and splashing around, it shouldn't leak an amount that will cause harm.

Good luck, this sucks knowing you just got your truck back from that accident.
    Hippo and seanpistol like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    If you pull on the bolt with a pair of vice grips is it still holding in there? If so there are threads on the far end of the bolt inside the differential holding it in. If you stripped the threads on the differential housing I think the bolt would come right out. It may be possible to band aid this with some rubber and wire wrapped really tight between the nut head and the differential housing but I would not do that on my own truck and drive it.

I think you can back it out of there using said vice grips and two flat head screwdrivers wedged on either side while turning the bolt with the vice grips accompanied by a simultaneous outward pulling motion with the vice grips. Probably would be even better to have another set of hands to work the flat heads and keep them positioned.

Going to need to do a REALLY good flush of the differential to get any shavings out of there.
    It's in there. I am pretty confident I'll be able to get it out by prying it and using a wrench simultaneously, then replace the plug with a new one from the stealership. I won't band-aid it. Good thing I have a bunch of gear oil sitting around for a flush... I'll let ya guys know how it goes.

Liked
    644 times
    Images

Since you are getting ready for a long trip, and are time strapped, I woulda suggested cleaning around the bolt head real good with acetone or something, then using JB Weld or similar to seal around the hex of the plug....Or maybe even just use RTV....THEN worry about a permanent fix when you get back.

I bet BOTH the threads on the hole, AND the bolt threads are stripped, and like Highway said, the threads further down the bolt that are now past the hole threads, are what is keeping it in.
    Cuz if the threads in the hole were NOT stripped, you SHOULD be able to pry out on the plug, and get it restarted coming out. But if that doesnt work, I bet both sets are stripped, or at least definately the ones in the hole. There are only a few threads in the hole, making it easier to strip than just the ones on the bolt alone.

And, Man, that really sux!....Yeah, that diff plug does NOT need a whole lot of torque AT ALL!!
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 12-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Problem is fixed.

Got the fill plug out with vice grips. Wasn't able to wedge anything behind the plug while it twisted. It appeared to be that just the outer two threads of the diff were damaged, and the threads were smashed flat on one whole side of the plug.

Bought a new plug and a set of taps. Tap size for the threads in the diff is 18x1.5 for anyone looking in the future. Drained and refilled the gear oil, ready to go.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    820 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    Someone helping me do some maintenance on my truck today used an impact wrench to put the 15/16 rear diff fill bolt back in after we topped off the gear oil..... now it's stripped
    I want to see the vehicle your friend there drives. Anyone using an unregulated impact wrench on a drain/fill plug probably has more problems on their vehicle than yours!
    Hippo likes this.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    192 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jack mccarthy View Post
    I want to see the vehicle your friend there drives. Anyone using an unregulated impact wrench on a drain/fill plug probably has more problems on their vehicle than yours!
    Surprisingly he is a mechanical engineer that drives a pristine 1984 diesel F-250 that he has done all the work on. He knew he goofed up and we fixed it so I'm not mad. I guarantee he won't use an impact to tighten anything again.
    DanoDavis likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast