2004 Tundra O2 Sensors or ECM

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Remmy700P

Thread: 2004 Tundra O2 Sensors or ECM

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2004 Tundra O2 Sensors or ECM

I have a 2004 Tundra that the check engine light came on then later went off. Toyota dealer look at it and it had 4 codes P0032, P0038, P0052 and P0058 but they said they could not diagnose the actual problen unless the check engine light was on when they looked at it. My questions are does the check engine light need to be on at the time of diagnoses before you can determine if the O2 sensors or the ECM is bad? Has anyone had a bad ECM?
    First time poster and have read lots on the forum concerning the O2 sensors. Lots of great information. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Default Re: 2004 Tundra O2 Sensors or ECM

Those are error codes for the heater circuits of all four oxygen sensors. That they all fired off at the same time is mildly suspicious.

1. How many miles on the vehicle?
    2. Did all the codes set at the same time?
    3. Did you recently do any maintenance on the vehicle and/or any electrical/battery work?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your response. In answer to your questions:

1. 65000
    2. Yes
    3. No

The only thing in common I can find is all the sensors ground through the ECM. That is why I was concerned about the ECM.

Again thanks.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    527 times
    Images

the only thing in common, in my world, is that the dealer is a rapist! did you pull your own codes or did the dealer? that A-hole could be telling you anything to make a $......

buy a $35 code reader from amazon.com and when the CEL glows next time you can walk into the dealer armed with some facts and see how they treat you-but pretend you're clueless at that time!!!!
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Walt, even if the CEL light isn't on, the previous codes will still be stored in memory. The dealer's statement that they "...could not diagnose the actual problem unless the check engine light was on when they looked at it...." is pure horse****.

It's unfortunate, but oxygen sensor replacement is a big scare-tactic money-maker for dealer service centers. Typically, they get twice the part cost + $200 or more to replace just one sensor.

Call around to your local auto parts stores and find one willing to hook up a code reader and have them pull the codes for you -- just to back check the quote. Post back up what they find.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    527 times
    Images

what Remmy said ^^^
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

From my experince all 2 O2 sensor dosnt go bad at one time. you might have a one bad sensor if check engine light off justwait until light comes again see how many codes it show. Nomally problems like yours maybe just intermittent fault codes Since your truck only has 65000miles.

Liked
    6 times

yeah get your own code reader, but if the MIL light goes off it's usually stored in the pcm and i'm sure the dealer has some expensive scan tools that can read history codes, the ones we have at school cost about $2k and can read pretty everything including history codes

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Dealer called, said they found a short in the wiring harness fixed that drove it CEL came on so now they are replacing the computer. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the info.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

It has been almost a year since I first posted this problem. I fought with the Toyota dealer for months they continued to claim they couldn't find the problem, thank goodness the thing was under warranty from the Nissan dealer that I bought it from used. Toyota did change the computer, but it still threw the codes. Finally they said they couldn't get the light to come on and I would have to deal with it. The CEL stayed off until last week. Guess what, I got the codes again. All four. I still have a hard time believing all four sensors would go bad at once. This time I also got a rotten egg catalytic type smell, but no cat code. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Liked
    82 times

Sounds like it could be a catalyst issue with your sensors being lazy and not ready properly. Or why are all four sensors reading incorrectly, could be a fuel delivery issue, stuck open injector or bad reading from MAF sensor, telling ECM to add too much fuel...
    You have to see, trouble codes are not a 100% guarantee on what is wrong, just where to look.
    Many have encountered issues with the A/F and o2 sensors going bad simultaneously.

And what they said about not being able to find it while the light was off, is exactly true. If the problem is intermittent and the light is off, how can you determine what's wrong when everything is working?
    2000 green reg cab long bed, with Bilstien 5100's, 285 nitto trail grapplers, flowmaster 40 series single exit.
    Other toy, 2010 4 door GTI

Liked
    2 times
    Images

144hart that is what happened to my truck. The catalyst converter plugged up and thru a code. Man was she bad on gas then.
    Luckily she was under warranty and replaced sensor and converter.
    2004 Toyota Tundra Crew cab TRD
    3.5" lift, bull bar w/100 watt lights,cold air intake and magna flow exhaust.
    2009 Arctic Cat Z1 Bearcat
    2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLD AWD (wife's)
    2003 Honda XR650L
    1995 Arctic Cat Z440

http://ridetherock.com