Question to Supercharge??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: to Supercharge??

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default to Supercharge??

2000 SR 5 4X4 .. 4.7 V-8 I need more power for towing. Dismal torque on this engine. Anyone of experience with the add on supercharger? H/P Boost? Torque Boost? anyone? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1752 times
    Images

Default Re: to Supercharge??

Sounds like you need to trade down to a domestic with diesel power.
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    270 times
    Images

Short answer:
    Not Recommended

The connecting rods are the weak link and are rumored to be the main reason TRD stopped producing the supercharger. Will your engine explode day 1? Probably not but it certainly wont last under full power for any reasonable amount of time. It can be done for sure, but at a huge cost to do it right which far outweights the cost of buying the right truck for the job in the first place.

The major upgrades you need are:
    Complete supercharger kit (very rare to find a complete one with ECU, wiring, 9th injector etc.) -probably will need rebuilding
    1UZFE connecting rods from '89 to 94' Lexus (parts are cheap, labor is not) or Lextreme Forged H beam rods ($650 for Stage one-650HP or below)
    Built Tranny (especially your 2000 which is prone to failure under high loads, even without a supercharger [weak OD Torrington bearing cage])
    Tuning
    91 Octane

More reading:
    1UZ vs 2UZ Rod comparison
    Lextreme Built Short Blocks (still need supercharger for larger power but ready to handle it)
    The fate of an unmodified supercharged engine
    The last Tundra was used on the track (to great effect) but the engine failed under normal driving conditions with no trailer in tow.

I assume most people at this point have decided against supercharging, but the final word I will add is that if you do want to put this kind of effort in, you may as well turbo it instead from Squires Turbo and make the most of the engine.

Side note: standby for people telling you to do a search. and listen to them
    Last edited by oofy15354; 12-04-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    1752 times
    Images

2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2853 times
    Images

You need to do more research so you fully understand the terms horsepower, torque, and the rpm curve.
    SuckersWalk and Pushrod like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2302 times
    Images

Don't mind these guys, they live to find reasons to say "search". Sometimes I do too.

What exactly are you towing? If you are towing anything serious, you may have the wrong truck for it. Your year has the weaker planetary gear in the transmission, this might come back to haunt you if you over load it.
    Highwaylizard and seanpistol like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    2073 times
    Images

I have a 2004 that I used for my landscaping company and tree service. Towed way over gross a few times and she still ran fine. I agree that your transmission is not ideal for the towing. What exactly are you trying to tow?
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    192 times
    Images

I'm curious to know what you're towing as well.

If it's a lot, all the time, you shoulda bought a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    303 times
    Images

The SC is a great addition to add HP and torque to the small block 4.7. However, I am also convinced many do not
    understand its engineered limits, how it really works, where is max power gains, etc. It is not the quick fix
    that many seek when looking for power gains. It works, has been proven for some rides with over 100k and going strong.

The problem, start playing with higher end boost values like 9-10 psi and ask for trouble. Adding non value
    parts like off the shelf CAI. Improper tunes for A/F ratios, etc. Also, not paying attention to the
    sum of the parts, meaning total driveline is ignored. (emphasis on tranny and rear end).

Short version, I would suggest a larger truck and package, but, it depends on what you are really towing if needed. Is
    it daily work, reaching or over extending OEM limits, environment such as major hills and valleys, etc. Hard to say without you
    providing more info on what you need to get done with your Tundra.
    Last edited by jbtoy; 12-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    oofy15354 likes this.
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Thank you, one and all, for your response. Remmy700P I have a "basic" knowledge", and I respect your response.. even tho I may not agree... All in all, I think this board is an excellent reference for the truth. Tundra has become so much more than when I bought my first.. But, you all are right..I may just need a diesel. Oh, and for the answer of what I am towing, is an offshore fishing boat "REEL RELIEF"

Liked
    29 times

Twincharge it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tundra intercooler intake routing front.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	92401

Liked
    270 times
    Images

Saw that build on Lextreme and actually linked to it above. The guy had the supercharger on the stock engine and threw a rod. So he decided to buy the best money can buy of everything and built one hell of a truck. I tried to get more info on what else he did or more pictures but I've come up empty
    MRT Motorsports likes this.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zshamrock View Post
    Thank you, one and all, for your response. Remmy700P I have a "basic" knowledge", and I respect your response.. even tho I may not agree... All in all, I think this board is an excellent reference for the truth. Tundra has become so much more than when I bought my first.. But, you all are right..I may just need a diesel. Oh, and for the answer of what I am towing, is an offshore fishing boat "REEL RELIEF"
    I think supercharged Tundra will do just fine with your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    Saw that build on Lextreme and actually linked to it above. The guy had the supercharger on the stock engine and threw a rod. So he decided to buy the best money can buy of everything and built one hell of a truck. I tried to get more info on what else he did or more pictures but I've come up empty
    That truck does not exist any more.

Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    Call or email Lextreme and they can fill you in on the build & parts used.

Liked
    24 times

I put the SC on my 2012 and it is awesome so much fun, but im not sure about the older motors. if i were to do anything to it i would definitely build the motor to suit. Also if you are using forced induction you should think about a turbo you could get a custom kit built for cheaper than it would cost for the SC kit. the only reason i got mine is because its covered on the warranty and I negotiated good enough to basically get it for free (by this I mean I talked the price of the truck down to cover the kit/install) with the truck and I was able to finance it instead of just shelling out cost up front. But if you are going to spend this much time, energy, money you might as well buy a newer 5.7 they are crazy fast and powerful to begin with. Maybe put on a CAI, exhast, and get a tune up, it will never get the power of forced induction but its cheaper and may help enough for you to be happy with the power your truck has. Just my opinion but then again im not the smartest person in the world... just ask my wife.
    oofy15354 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast