Power Steering Rack fixed along with PS pump bearings??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jack mccarthy

Thread: Power Steering Rack fixed along with PS pump bearings??

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    764 times
    Images

Default Power Steering Rack fixed along with PS pump bearings??

Well, as I've commented in the past; my steering rack was replaced over 50K miles ago and started leaking after 8 months with some drippage in the dust boots. I was stupid at the time and took the dealership's word that that it was "normal" even though the visit wasn't documented. I've also had an issue where the vehicle would whine greatly on cold days for 3-4 minutes after start up. I traced the problem to the bearings in the PS pump where as of two months ago could be clearly heard coming from the unit using a paper towel tube to my ear.

Over the last year, my boots have been darkened from fluid on the bottom half of the boot; typically after a drive. If I let the vehicle sit for more than 3 days, it'll start to dry up.

I've tried replacing the PS fluid with Dexron V with no improvement and I've also added 1 1/2 times the recommended amount of Auto-RX and flushed it out with more Dexron V after driving almost 1500 miles. Finally, I started using the Lucas power steering stop leak. The first few tablespoons of it in my reservoir did nothing, but my second administration actually made the leak dry up almost completely! Also, the bearing noise is gone. I'm not sure if that's related or not, but I'm happy.

The only downside is the darkened fluid reservoir as you can see from slowly adding the Lucas power steering stop leak additive. I'll try and add pictures of the before/after for the boots at a later time.

Last edited by jack mccarthy; 12-07-2012 at 05:40 AM.
    kerryman71 likes this.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

Default Re: Power Steering Rack fixed along with PS pump bearings??

What a pain. Glad your leak went away.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    800 times
    Images

Well, apparently the leak travelled westward and has moved into my truck! Had the steering rack replaced earlier this week and the mechanic told me that the high pressure hose was in questionable shape so to keep an eye out for it. I was thinking that it was going to snap when he disconnected it and I would have to replace it anyway, but when he said it wasn't leaking (yet) and I got a couple days out of it I thought I was in the clear. Sure enough where it connects into the steering rack sprung a leak today and is p*ssing out at a great rate. Just ordered the the setup. The truck will have to sit for about another week until I get it and can have him fix it.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    764 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
    Well, apparently the leak travelled westward and has moved into my truck! Had the steering rack replaced earlier this week and the mechanic told me that the high pressure hose was in questionable shape so to keep an eye out for it. I was thinking that it was going to snap when he disconnected it and I would have to replace it anyway, but when he said it wasn't leaking (yet) and I got a couple days out of it I thought I was in the clear. Sure enough where it connects into the steering rack sprung a leak today and is p*ssing out at a great rate. Just ordered the the setup. The truck will have to sit for about another week until I get it and can have him fix it.

John
    Wow. That does truly suck. Sorry to hear, especially after paying around $900 to get the rack replaced. I don't think that hose is cheap either. Didn't know my problems could migrate to others. Usually with my luck, I get everything fixed and up to snuff, and the next week someone totals my vehicle!

Hope your guy can give you a break on the part prices & labor.

EDIT: It appears my bearing noise has come back, it's just about 1/2 bad as it used to be though. I've been living with it for 4-5 years; so I think I can continue to live with it since it goes away after a few minutes.
    Last edited by jack mccarthy; 12-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    800 times
    Images

Yeah, he told me about an hour and a half labor. He trusts me enough to supply the parts, which I just ordered online for about $400. Something told me I should've done it all at once, but at $330 just for the line I decided against it. In the end, it obviously would've been cheaper if I had done it all at once.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)