Would you buy a tundra with a replaced frame?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Would you buy a tundra with a replaced frame?

Liked
    3 times

Default Would you buy a tundra with a replaced frame?

What are the pros or cons with buying a tundra with a frame that was replaced under the Toyota rusty frame recall?
    Im looking at a 2001 with a replaced frame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    269 times
    Images

Default Re: Would you buy a tundra with a replaced frame?

I bought one but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. Obviously whatever they replace is brand new which is a plus, but it means overall the truck is suffering from a lot of rust.

Since the frame has been replaced, I have also had to replace the front calipers ($400), full exhaust ($500) and rear axle ($1600) due to excessive rust. The bed is rotting through (rust bubbles), the hitch receiver was rendered unusable (had to sand blast to fit a hitch in there) and every nut and bolt is crumbling away. The dust covers for the front brakes have literally rusted off (and got stuck inside the wheel for 3 days until I could fix it) and even changing spark plugs involved a screw extractor for 6 screws.

Buy one from down south and drive it back up. My engine and transmission are 100% after 107k but everything else is falling apart. Find a few trucks from the same state and take a day trip to go down and look at them all and drive one back up!
    jack mccarthy and tundra3400 like this.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    505 times
    Images

Pros:

-Its got a NEW frame!
    -Resale will probably be higher
    -Might have a bunch of other new parts along with the frame. (Sign up on Toyota's website as an owner, and you can see exactly what parts the dealer (supposedly) included with the frame. (mine included new lower A-arms with LBJs) Some people use the frame replacement as a chance at free or reduced labor to have the timing belt/water pump, shocks/struts, exhaust, drivetrain, steering rack work done at the same time)
    - Did I mention it has a NEW frame?

Cons:

-Might have a bunch of missing brackets and such from the dealer doing a crappy job on the frame replacement
    -A lot of the nuts/bolts may be overtorqued from the dealer shmucks using impact wrenches to torque everything.
    -May have lots of scratches/dents from the dealer shmucks. (Mine had the cab floor bent around one of the mounting holes where they must have pried up on the floor to get the bolt loose)
    -May need a GOOD alignment done (Use DJ's slignment specs, found by searching the forums)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

But yeah, dont let a new frame distract you from other issues that may need fixing llike timing belt/water pump, transmissions issues (00-02's are known for bad trannies), exhaust (new catalytics are EXPENSIVE), brakes, steering rack, shocks/struts, etc
    I let the fact that my Tundy seemed like the only one for sale in all of western NY and that it had a new frame blind me to many other issues I have since found with it. And like oofy says, the frame is great, but every other bolt, nut, bracket on it is rusted to h-e-double-hockey-sticks.
    If I could do it over again, yeah, I shoulda went down South and brought something better back.
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 12-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    jack mccarthy and tundra3400 like this.

Liked
    505 times
    Images

Wait, I just noticed you are in NC....??....And you found a truck there that has had the frame replaced??...Where was it originally from?...If its from any of the rust belt states, I would pass. If its originally a down-South truck, it might be OK if theres not much rust on everything else...Also, see if you can make sure its not a flood-recovered vehicle...But I dont know, if you are originally from down South, if you would correctly know what is too much or just a little rust...

Liked
    28 times

Carfax it & see where it came from? Personally I will agree with everyone else that the new frame is a huge plus, but apart from that how many miles is on it, and what is the asking price? The frame isn't the only issue, but will prolong the life of the truck. Personally I would buy it if the rest of it checked out, but then again I am in Oklahoma & the most salt we ever see down here is what's put on our 'fries.

Liked
    3 times

I found a guy that has a Tundra for sale that had the frame replaced. The price is in line with what I want to spend. The miles are decent. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
    I was trying to determine if it was even worth my time. I was (and maybe still am) a little bit worried about a vehicle that has had the frame replaced. I am hoping that enough members chime in and convince me that it is a good (or a bad) thing.

Liked
    39 times
    Images

think of it this way. had the frame not gotten replaced, u'd be stuck with a truck with old parts n a rusty frame. what would u rather have. old truck with new frame n a bunch of other new parts or old truck with same old rusty parts n rusty frame.
    '00 tundra
    '06 sequoia
    '98 forester

Liked
    473 times

I bought mine with a replaced frame, lower a-arms/LBJs, fuel lines,, brake lines, various nuts and bolts.. fuel tank straps. The list goes on. To me, it was a plus. Extending the life of a great truck. I just wish the PO would have had the stinking exhaust manifolds replaced with headers when they were in there.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Supporter
    Liked
    23 times

Come to South Carolina. Where I live outside Charleston, the high temp today was 81 degrees. I have seen snow two times since living here for 32 years. Hendrick Toyota is a great dealership, and they have alot of trucks.

Liked
    28 times

Min'e either been replaced or coated, can't really tell. It does look new all up under there, is there a sticker or something we can see if it's been done somewhere?

Liked
    800 times
    Images

Find out how long ago the frame was replaced. Most issues seem to pop up shortly after having the frame replaced, like various check engine codes, etc. Getting under the truck and checking it out would be a good idea to see just what condition it's in. If it has a bed liner ask the owner to remove it so you can see the condition of the bed. As another member mentioned, there are quite a few cases of the beds rotting. If it's been Line-Xed you should be able to look from underneath and see if there is any rust on the bottom of the bed.

John
    jack mccarthy likes this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    764 times
    Images

All good recommedations from those above. If I were looking at one, and it checked out to be good, I'd be unbolting everything and putting nickel anti-seize everywhere possible. You might get lucky and had a shop that used torque sticks to avoid overtorquing all the bolts during reassembly.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    505 times
    Images

It cant hurt to look at it, especially if the price is good. If its not much cheaper than a solid Southern truck that HASN'T had the frame replaced, you could always use the frame replacement to haggle the price down. If the guy wont budge, and the price is close to a cleaner truck, I would pass.

Look at the bottom of the cab and bed, upper & lower A-arms, brake backing plates, and all the little hardline brackets along the frame. If these have more than just a smooth coating of surface rust, like if the rust is all flakey, and falls off easily, thats a good indicator that everything other than the frame may have serious rust issues.
    I had to get new strut plates and bottom bolts, tie-rod ends, and lots of other nuts & bolts because of rust.
    I went to pull the rear shocks today, and the top nuts are rusted so that I cant get a wrench on them...Nuts are basically stripped. Gonna have to pull the bed and rear bumper just to replace the shocks by cutting them off. I also need to replace my e-brake pivot on the rear axle housing because its all froze up with rust. I will also have to replace both front and rear brake backing plates because they are rotted....The list goes on and on. But then I shoulda known better if I had looked closer, and not bought my truck.
    Just know some surface rust is not a major problem...Its when its deep, flakey, and or pitting bad that its not worth the headache.

Maybe I'll take some pics of what I'm talking about for you tomorrow.

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

No way in hell. There's no way to know where the replacing dealer cut corners, mistorqued, failed to replace a simple part because it wasn't "on their list", etc... and the prevailing anecdotal evidence supports the assertion that the dealerships doing these replacements are barely qualified to do it right in the first place. I don't trust my dealership to do an oil change properly, there's no way I'd spend my $$$ on someone else's rustbucket. It just ain't worth it. There are too many things that rust affects down the road when even doing simple maintenance.
    jbtoy and 4doubleyaD like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    269 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    No way in hell. There's no way to know where the replacing dealer cut corners, mistorqued, failed to replace a simple part because it wasn't "on their list", etc... and the prevailing anecdotal evidence supports the assertion that the dealerships doing these replacements are barely qualified to do it right in the first place. I don't trust my dealership to do an oil change properly, there's no way I'd spend my $$$ on someone else's rustbucket. It just ain't worth it. There are too many things that rust affects down the road when even doing simple maintenance.
    I'd like this but I chose to buy one so I feel like I'd be calling myself an idiot if I did

Bottom line: If I did it again, I would have done it differently. I can't recommend it for so many reasons.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast