Difference between 2WD & 4WD rear axles?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By silet
  • 1 Post By UPbuilder

Thread: Difference between 2WD & 4WD rear axles?

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Default Difference between 2WD & 4WD rear axles?

Does anyone know the difference between the two?....I'm calling around to possibly find a replacement rear axle, and it seems there is a difference between 2WD & 4WD...

And no, its not just because of gear ratios, or ABS vs non-ABS, or locking vs non-locking... There supposedly is some other difference....???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    11 times

Default Re: Difference between 2WD & 4WD rear axles?

The flange where the rear driveshaft bolts to the differential is different on 2wd vs 4wd. On the 2wd version there are four bolts that are fixed on the flange unless you take the flange off and remove the bolts (PIA). On the 4wd version there are four bolts you can completely remove to bolt the rear driveshaft onto the rear axle flange. The bolt hole patterns are the same on the 2wd and 4wd flanges. The 4wd rear driveshaft has a slip yoke at the rear that allows for in and out movement. That is the only difference I have noticed. If you have a 2005-2006 you could use either a 2wd or 4wd rear axle. Not sure about other models.

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Thanx! Thats a good start.

Well, I just did a little more research, and it seems there IS a difference between the gearing on 2WD vs 4WD.

Even though both "officially" list a 3.91 or 4.10 ratio, the 2WD 3.91s have a 3.916 ratio, with a 47/12 tooth ring/pinion.
    While the 4WD have a 3.909 ratio, with a 43/11 tooth ring/pinion.

Which means the 4WD is probably quite a bit stronger (less teeth means thicker, beefier teeth, and more meat on the gears themselves).

Same thing applies to the 4.10 gearing.

2WD= 4.083 ratio, 49/12 tooth ring/pinion.
    4WD= 4.100 ratio, 41/10 tooth ring/pinion.

The minute differences in gear ratio MIGHT not make a difference, but for anyone sourcing new gears/diffs/complete axles, that tooth count is definately something to consider. Also, if getting just gears, I bet the shims, spacers and spider gears will be different, due to different thicknesses of the ring gear....Probably other internall diff parts differences as well, like possibly bearings and even carriers.

So as far as the differential goes, definately best to make sure you stick with either the same 2wd vs 4wd application that you are replacing.

I still wonder if there are any differences between the housings themselves? I know Toyota has different part numbers for 2WD & 4WD...

Sooo... I guess my original question is moot at this point, and I better stick to the same application I have (4WD).

But I was also wondering if an ABS rear could be used to replace a non-ABS.
    I dont know much about ABS, but I'm under the impression that ABS just has sensors installed at the four corners, wired into a module under the hood that is plumbed into the brake lines, and THAT is what controls the pulsed pumping of the brake system?....So everything else at the four corners should be the same as non-ABS? (ie wheel cylinders, shoes, calipers, pads, lines, and the rear brake hardware?)

Also, if a locking (not true locking, just has an LSD) rear axle, could be installed in place of a non-locking. (This question, I would be inclined to say Yes, other than maybe the flange difference that bobbygail mentioned). But then again, the LSD WAS offered in both 2WD & 4WD flavors.... ??

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 12-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Liked
    772 times
    Images

the axles will also have a ratio of 4:30 if it came out of a 3.4L v6 automatic tundra.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundra3400 View Post
    the axles will also have a ratio of 4:30 if it came out of a 3.4L v6 automatic tundra.
    Yup ...I didnt mention the 4.30s, because all the 4.30s seem to be the same, whether from 2wd, 4wd. All are 43/10 teeth ring/pinion.

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

Vehicles equipped with ABS will have some sort of toothed collar on the axle just inboard of the hub.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Yup...I guess I knew that too. But having the sensors and the rings wont have any other affect on anything, if they are left ungplugged, right?

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

Not sure what you're asking. If your vehicle has an ABS system, the ECU will throw a fault code if you do not have all the sensors properly connected and functioning.

If you don't have ABS, I'm not sure if an ABS sensor ring-equipped axle will fit or not.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Not sure what you're asking.

If you don't have ABS, I'm not sure if an ABS sensor ring-equipped axle will fit or not.
    Yup, this one ^^
    I have an '00, so NO ABS installed....I've looked quite a bit, and not many 1 Gen rear axles around the NE....So wondering if it would be OK to use an 03-06 rear WITH ABS, to increase my chances of finding a rear axle...I guess I just need to know if there are any other differences in the rear axle assembly itself, besides just the sensors and rings... like if the sensors arent hooked up, do the rear brakes still work the same as a non-ABS?

Liked
    40 times

In most cases ABS axels, diffs and hubs can be used in non-ABS suspensions.
    Stone_Blue likes this.
    2001 Tundra V6 3.4 5 spd manual 4WD

Liked
    721 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    Yup, this one ^^
    I have an '00, so NO ABS installed....I've looked quite a bit, and not many 1 Gen rear axles around the NE....So wondering if it would be OK to use an 03-06 rear WITH ABS, to increase my chances of finding a rear axle...I guess I just need to know if there are any other differences in the rear axle assembly itself, besides just the sensors and rings... like if the sensors arent hooked up, do the rear brakes still work the same as a non-ABS?
    The brakes will work just fine using an ABS rear with them not hooked up in a non ABS vehicle.
    Stone_Blue likes this.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Kewl Thats what I needed to know...So I cant think of anything else that would be a problem using an ABS rear assembly in a non-ABS....That will help me source an axle assembly.

Liked
    40 times

Stone_Blue, are you looking for a complete rear axle and why? Also what year model do you have?
    2001 Tundra V6 3.4 5 spd manual 4WD