Help! Transmission output shaft leak?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Help! Transmission output shaft leak?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Help! Transmission output shaft leak?

Guys. I have a 2004 tundra 2wd dc. I saw oil residue splattered under the truck. So i took a pressure wash to verify where the source of the leak is from.

I see it is comming from the transmission output shaft right near the ujoints is.

Any idea what part I need to buy and replace? Is it just a shaft seal? And since the transmission is sealed and i bought this truck used. Who knows how much fluid has drained.

Any advise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    721 times

Transmission output shaft seal. Cheap and easy to replace. You probably didn't lose much fluid but check it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Help! Transmission output shaft leak?

Quote Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
    Transmission output shaft seal. Cheap and easy to replace. You probably didn't lose much fluid but check it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
    How do I know its really from the output shaft? And how do I check the transmission fluid without a dipstick?

Liked
    98 times

You should have a dipstick,passenger side near firewall or atleast that is where it is on my 04DC.Also search here, if you look behind the u-joint you will see a plug in the end that is known to seep/leak also.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra1Dan View Post
    You should have a dipstick,passenger side near firewall or atleast that is where it is on my 04DC.Also search here, if you look behind the u-joint you will see a plug in the end that is known to seep/leak also.
    lol.. Man thanks.. ill take another look... I read somewhere on this forum that they are a sealed unit.. Maybe its the 2005 and up..

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Mine 2004 DC had the same problem. My mechanic advised of a technical service bulletin for this issue. TSB TC007-06. I had to replace the slip yoke, u-joints seal and center support bearing. This started when I purchased a 6000lb trailer to tow.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

I have the same issue in my 2004AC, i went to Toyota and they said it is the yolk...there's a bulletin on it, but i dont have the link to it handy...My yolk cost me about $215 from the dealer, and about 3 hours in my driveway...just gotta learn how to not break any more u-joints...

Liked
    745 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by *theTundraMan* View Post
    I have the same issue in my 2004AC, i went to Toyota and they said it is the yolk...there's a bulletin on it, but i dont have the link to it handy...My yolk cost me about $215 from the dealer, and about 3 hours in my driveway...just gotta learn how to not break any more u-joints...
    breaking u joints lol. my dad told me once how him a a few buddies replaced a u joint in a 60s era chevy dumptruck with a bottle opener and a screw driver in the middle of a landfill access road.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 208,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Just a word from experience, never trust your 18 yr old son to do a u-joint swap without your supervision, ESPECIALLY when his only experience is watching Ian Johnson on Extreme 4x4

Liked
    11 times

I had the same issue recently. First from the seal(after sitting, there would be a drop stuck to the lip of the output shaft). I tried changing the seal, still leaked. I found out there is a metal bushing inside the output shaft housing. It helps spread fluid around the yoke. If it wears too much, the fluid goes back to the seal, and can leak no matter how good the rear seal is. Toyota said they only supply the complete housing. They wanted $500 bucks. A friend called his friend at a transmission shop, who sent me to a transmission parts place. I took the housing into them, 10 mins and $30 later, I was out with a new bushing and seal. That stopped the leaking for about a week. Then the yoke decided to leak. You can tell because the fluid spatter was right above the u-joint. I took the drive shaft back off, cleaned the finish down to bare metal on the back of the yoke, and used JB Weld to seal it. All the leaks went away.

Now that I have fixed the leaks, I was on my way home tonight, and lost 1st gear. As I tried to baby it home, the trans made an awful noise, like I was dragging metal under the truck. Then it would clunk into gear, and so on. I usually back into my driveway. Tonight it clunked and moaned as I got it in. I guess 225,000 miles was too much for it. That, being lifted, and towing my 6000lb trailer 5 times a year for 200 miles for the last few years. Tomorrow I search for a used tranny with low miles.
    '12 2wd CM TRD SR5 Silver Sky Metallic- Prodigy 2, Ultra Gauge

TRADED IN: 10/3/13
    04 2wd AC SR5
    Debadged
    TC 4.5" lift, 2.5" Sway-a-way coilovers(6" front lift and 3" in rear), 285/75/16 Pro Comp Xtreme Muds, Eagle rims, Flowmaster 50 , AEM Intake, Helix throttle body spacer, Nerf bars, Snugtop deck lid, Pioneer stereo w/Ipod, Alpine door speakers, JL Audio W6 12" sub, RF 500 pro series amp. Clarion remote start alarm.....

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2006 tundra 4.0 liter my tranny started leaking at around 50k miles but was out of warranty I have changes rear seal at least 4 times now and still leaks fluid, any ideas what to do I saw on one post that a weld was cracked at the yoke. Is that a common problem with tundras?