Toyota Tundra Forums banner

transmission fluid flush vs. change

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Abarmard 
#1 ·
Good morning Folks,
I have a Tundra 2001 SR5 V8

This topic may have been covered in other posts but I could not find the specific answer for my specific questions;
1- I'm planning to change the transmission fluid and the filter. Some say don't flush the whole trans fluid and just change the fluid in order to avoid corrosion?!, some say completely flush the whole fluid and replace with a synthetic Dexron III. I guess the fluid that is currently in the trans right now is not synthetic?!, So is that OK to mix non-synthetic and synthetic trans fluid?
2- In many posts they say that Mobile 1 Dexron III is the best fluid?! Or should I rather go with the Original Toyota Trans fluid that is sold on Amazon?
3- How often should the trans fluid and filter be changed?

Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
^ Don't lie. The answers to your questions have been answered hundred and hundreds of times. And since this isn't SnapChat, those responses are still here. Admitting that you are lazy and impatient will be a lot easier for you so that others will tell you what you want to hear. Seriously, bro, there are WAY more answers to your questions from those that have been there and done that than you get in this thread.

1. No idea what is in your AT right now. Mix? Why? Out with ALL the old, in with the new.
2. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 in the 2000-2004 transmissions. It comes down to cost.
3. See your owners manual.

Good luck.

#3 ·
In 2001, the recommended fluid was not Toyota specific. Just use any of the name brand Dexron III fluids available now, and you'll be fine.

I prefer to drain and fill, but everyone has their opinions. Neither are right or wrong.

The filter is a course screen. You can change it if you want, but most of the ones I've seen have looked ok at high mileage.

If the fluid looks ok now, I would just drain and fill a couple of times and keep on riding.

#4 ·
In 2001, the recommended fluid was not Toyota specific. Just use any of the name brand Dexron III fluids available now, and you'll be fine.

I prefer to drain and fill, but everyone has their opinions. Neither are right or wrong.

The filter is a course screen. You can change it if you want, but most of the ones I've seen have looked ok at high mileage.

If the fluid looks ok now, I would just drain and fill a couple of times and keep on riding.

Thank you very much for you response.
I contacted the dealer that did the Trans. Flush a few years ago on my truck (before I bought it). they said that they used Dexron III (which I think is a non-synthetic trans fluid) for Toyota. That was at 103K miles, now I have 135K miles on it. Since I tow a boat at times, I thought maybe I should change the transmission fluid more frequent. Otherwise I may just go with a transmission service and filter change and pass on the whole flush thing. Besides, a mechanic told me that flushing a transmission is not very good for the trans, since it pushes all the gunk back in to the trans.
Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.