tundra fox/ lt advice!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By toofast121

Thread: tundra fox/ lt advice!

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default tundra fox/ lt advice!

hey guys ive been looking around on socaltundras and ive decided to upgrade my suspension from the bilsteins... i will be doing mild off roading for fun... im trying to decide whether to go full long travel or to buy a kit like this for the truck (link below) it has fox remote reservoir coilovers and total chaos uca's and rear shocks....Off Road Warehouse - Suspension Lift Kits Total Chaos Toyota Suspension 00-06 Toyota Tundra Fox Remote Reservoir Coilover Kit w/ Upper Control Arms & Rear Shocks

have any of you guys ran a set up like that or what do u reccomend?

thanks!!
    escondidotundra likes this.
    (TRUCK) 2000 tundra limited 4.7 v8 (MODS)2.5 bilstein leveling shocks, custom cat back exhaust, afe stake 2 CAI, wheels are on 265 75r16 bfg AT tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    385 times

Default Re: tundra fox/ lt advice!

without knowing your personally or seeing how you drive I will tell you this: If you are 'hooked' on off roading, the uppers/bolt in coilovers will make you want long travel.

Either you choice to use Total Chaos is wise They make the best bolt on kit for a Tundra hands down. You might consider using King for your shocks. They're easier to re-build/re-valve in my opinion. And their customer service/quality is second to none.

Keith 760-877-4234
    I like to build BAmufflers

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

I'll tell you from personal experience, Fox did little to no R&D on those coilovers. The overall design is great but there is one very annoying flaw: the location they chose for the reservoir. They placed it so that your tire will eat the hydraulic line when turning at full lock if you run anything bigger than a stock tire. I tried relocating them, but the hose is either too long or too short to put them out of harms way. I've emailed them more than once but they aren't worried about fixing the issue since they don't sell many of these units. I'm hoping I can at least get them to provide a hose that can be used to place these elsewhere. I don't want them in the motor bay next to my headers.

Other than that, it's a great product. If I could go back, I'd get the Fox without remote reservoirs, they didn't make them when I got mine. Off Road Warehouse - Shocks Fox Shocks O.E. Applications Toyota Fox Shocks Fox Shox Factory Series Front Coil-Overs 0-3'' Lift for 2000-2006 Toyota Tundra 4wd/2wd Save $200 and headache.
    There were two members here who have the rear shocks, both reported the piggyback body hitting the parking brake cable. Maybe Fox doesn't own a first gen Tundra? Disappointing when they come at top dollar.
    Last edited by tundrunk; 01-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

thanks for the input guys!!!! i am really in to off roading.... im just afraid that if i dont go long travel i will eventually want it and have to upgrade........is there a big difference between the kits?
    (TRUCK) 2000 tundra limited 4.7 v8 (MODS)2.5 bilstein leveling shocks, custom cat back exhaust, afe stake 2 CAI, wheels are on 265 75r16 bfg AT tires

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

Yeah. Long travel is way more expensive and requires significantly more maintenance than a mid travel set up would. As far as driving, long travel is more tunable and doesn't have any real downfalls. Don't get me wrong though, I've put my mid travel kit through abuse, but it is almost the same amount of travel a stock Tundra would have. Don't mistake the term "mid travel" as a halfway point between stock and long travel, it just refers to the fact that your truck will sit midway between drooped and compressed as opposed to sitting closer to compressed. In my opinion, seeing that you already run on 5100's, getting better coilovers and upper arms won't give you a huge advantage over what you currently have. Driving technique accounts for more than comparable parts in your situation.

You will need to find out what you want, and aim for that rather than upgrade later. The key is, what kind of off roading do you see in your future? Fast runs across relatively smooth terrain, or slower runs across any kind of terrain? Go to the off road section of the forum, there is a post in the sticky section called "off road mods", read it because it will help you decide what to do.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

thank you tundrunk i will go check that out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.