lower ball joints

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: lower ball joints

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default lower ball joints

Hello,

I have a 2000, 4.7, 4x4 with 265,000 and it is time to change the lower ball joints. I have never tackled anything like this before, but I am fairly handy. I have read the previous posts about this and I am trying to decide if I can do it myself or I need to hire it out. Has any rookie ever tackled this before? Any adcice?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    88 times

Default Re: lower ball joints

I might be doing the same soon I got some clunking going on and I figure easiest way. To fix it is replace everything . Toyota keeps telling me everything is fine but trust me the clunk is not fine. I've changed my timing belt already so I wont let the suspension work scare me off. It's the money for parts that's hard to come up with

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    868 times
    Images

It's a relatively easy job if you have the right tools. Advanced Auto has a 5 piece front end kit that has the proper tools to pop out both the tie rod and ball joint that you can borrow for $100 (fully refundable).

If you had the prior ball joint recall performed you may run into issues like myself of them overtorquing the ball joint nut and the use of oversize cotter pins.

Since your replacing them, the cotter pins can be cut flush with the threads if you can't remove them and the use of an impact wrench may or may not be necessary. I've used an impact to remove the 4 bolts from the knuckle/spindle only because too much locktite was used and I couldn't wrestle it off by hand. I ended up tearing both ball joint protector shrouds. I'd be careful not to damage the left one as there is no replacement part at the moment (Toyota lists the same part # for both and they are NOT identical). It might be best if you apply some heat or rust penetrant from the top side to help break the loctite bond and take them off with a small 15" breaker bar/socket wrench if necessary. Since your both from the south, rust shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by jack mccarthy; 01-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    88 times

Nope no rust here. ;-) just gotta get a new jack my two ton looks ready to snap the wheels off.

Liked
    2481 times
    Images

If you don't have any rust, it isn't that hard, just time consuming. There are a lot of short cuts that I took when doing it, but I would avoid them if I were you.
    Loosen lug nuts, lift front end on stands, remove tires. Remove brake calipers and rotors, put them aside. Remove coilover assembly to get rid of the tension(this can be skipped if you have extra hands around but can get dangerous). From here you just have to pull the outer tie rod end off, pop the lower ball joint out of the spindle, then remove the 4 bolts. Install is the opposite of removal, use penetrating lube and locktite, good luck.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Pretty easy to do. Once you have the front end on jack stands and the front tires off, I would jack up the LCA (just an inch or so) to take the strain off of the four bolts on the LBJ/spindle (can unbolt the shock for extra safety). Unbolt the four bolts (evenly), move the spindle/brakes to the side (helps to have a small jack stand to set the bottom of the spindle on), remove TRE from the LBJ, and remove the LBJ from the LCA. Putting it back together is just the reverse procedure.
    Same thing tundrunk said, but just a different order. You can remove the TRE first, can take the brake calipers off if you want, doesn't really matter as long as you don't put stress on your brake lines, and don't put stress on those four bolts (They will strip!).
    It's helpful if you rent a ball joint press. If you don't have any rust and you're taking your time, you're looking at probably 2-3 hours.
    Check RockAuto.com for Moog ball joints. They're priced cheap and are built really well.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    88 times

Thanks for all the advice will let everyone know how it went when it finally gets done