Frame recalled.. NEED suggestions!? Have TRD supercharger and over 200,000 miles

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame recalled.. NEED suggestions!? Have TRD supercharger and over 200,000 miles

Liked
    0 times

Default Frame recalled.. NEED suggestions!? Have TRD supercharger and over 200,000 miles

Hello All,

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra Limited Edition with a TRD supercharger (supercharger install at 35,000 miles)and many other performance parts. My truck has an aftermarket exhaust (true dual) with the y pipe gone. Also I just turned 200,000 miles. I towed with this truck all the time (Like 25,000 miles a year). I tow a 4,500 pound trailer and I get 9.5 to 10.2 mpg while towing. I get 13 to 18 mpg when not towing and if I stay off the supercharger. The body has NO RUST on it and I kept waxing and doing the upkeep on it. Note: Timing belt was done at 140,000, shocks at 185,000.

Now that you have a better idea what I use the truck for and the condition, MY QUESTION IS... My truck has been recalled for the frame. My frame has been order and I will have the new frame in the next month or so at DUNNING TOYOTA IN ANN ARBOR, MI. QUESTION IS.. What things should I have done since my frame is off? Doing engine or transmission upgrades or rebuilding doesn't make sense because this is drop and not taken apart. They said they would put all new parts in where they take off and do new brake lines and other things. I was thinking that I plan on having this supercharged truck to at least 350,000 miles. Are there any parts or service I should have them do like: timing belt, alternator, shocks, any other things? Should I take pictures of the underside of the truck so i get all my aftermarket parts back like the headers, exhaust, towing hitch, etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave
    2001 Limited Edition Supercharged Tundra 4.7L V8
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:
    TRD supercharger, TRD headers, Magnoflow exhaust with tips out the back , and many other things! Truck runs a 14.2 quarter mile...

My website for my home-based business is http://www.davesrocksandcarvings.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    518 times
    Images

Default Re: Frame recalled.. NEED suggestions!? Have TRD supercharger and over 200,000 miles

first of all you can try to search for tundra frame rust, tundra frame recall, etc etc.

second of all, yes i would take pics of all the stuff IN DETAIL. and also i would have them check your steering yoke on the rack. mine was a hellish mess ans near failing. dont want that to happen especially at highway speeds.

other than that when you search you will find all the things people have done to their frame off restored tundras.

and good luck to the truck through its great journey of major surgery.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 207,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Sneveys Offroad)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Frame recalled.. NEED suggestions!? Have TRD supercharger and over 200,000 miles

thanks... I would I never thought of looking at the steering. I will have to check this out.
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:
    TRD supercharger, TRD headers, Magnoflow exhaust with tips out the back , and many other things! Truck runs a 14.2 quarter mile...

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    811 times
    Images

If they decide to replace the fuel lines (appears to be optional in my area for many dealers), have them replace the fuel filter. Front shocks won't save you much money as they just remove the entire strut. It'd be cheaper to get a shop to compress the springs and put in new shocks if your capable of removing the strut yourself. The rear shocks wouldn't cost you anything in labor to replace since they have the bed off. Timing belt and water pump; I don't see how there would be a labor savings there.

Pictures & test drive to verify the condition of truck along with their checklist and the condition of any items you'd like to add to it prior to the work being done would be wise. Make sure they sign off on it beforehand. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Also ask if they use torque sticks so they don't overtorque every nut/bolt with the impact wrench.
    Last edited by jack mccarthy; 01-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

take if for a spin with at least two service managers before they molest her. let them both drive it so they know what it was like before they popped her cherry. afterwards, they should be able to support your argument of any before/after discrepancies.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    0 times

Thanks so much for your help. I called my Toyota Dealer in Pa (DEL TOYOTA) where the truck was bought. The service manager Mark said to have them replace the towing hitch, look at the steer yoke, shocks and struts, brake and fuel line (which should be part of the kit). He also said the timing belt, fuel pump, and water pump if they are willing to give you a deal on the labor. AND YES.. he said to take pictures of the TRD supercharger, headers, exhaust, hitch, and all the underneath parts I added plus the condition of the body. Also he agree with you and said to go on a test drive with them and go over the checklist with them. This will be the only TRD supercharged tundra they have recalled at DUNNING TOYOTA. Thanks again for everyone's help. I hated to take the supercharged tundra in for the recall but at least I will have a new frame.

Do they warranty there work for any amount of time for this frame recall and any parts they had to replace in the frame recall process.
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:

Liked
    10 times

I had my frame recall done at Dunnings in Ann Arbor. I have nothing but positive things to say about them.
    My truck isn't supercharged but it is lifted with aftermarket exhaust,bumpers and other random things. I met with the service tech and service manager and we went over my truck with a fine tooth comb. I've had no problem with the frame replacement at all. Ask for Tracy, she was very helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1357328768.032455.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	92903

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Liked
    0 times

Thanks so much! I have had nothing but problems at Dunning when it comes to the supercharger. I had a leaking 9th injector that I had to fix at a machine shop and Dunning (Tracy) was very rude and didn't fine the part and offer anything for me (waited 4 weeks and didn't have the truck as it was still at Dunning and no rental car..lucky I had another car to use). I was lucky to find a friend that gave me a machine shop to fix the part and I had my Toyota dealer in pa (where I was from before) install it back on (had it plugged while a drove to pa). When I went back in last month and saw Tracy again, she remember me and tried to make it right. She was very confident that the recall team they had at Dunning's was good and said they did over 165 recall frames. So i am soooo glad to hear you had a great experience at Dunning Toyota. I plan on taking lots of pictures of the truck and do a test drive with them and also go over the checklist with a fine tooth comb like you said and have two service managers looking at this truck too. They told me this will be the only TRD Supercharged tundra they had a recall on and worked on at Dunnning for a 1st generation tundra.
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:

Liked
    10 times

The amazing part of your wait for a frame is that the frames are stored in Pontiac, MI. This is all of maybe 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. Labadie Toyota in Bay City did mine and the experience couldn't have been better. I wouldn't trust any dealership in the metro area. Customer service and honesty much better in the smaller communities. My 2000 TRD drives like a new vehicle.

Liked
    10 times

That's funny you mention Tracy being rude. I thought the same thing at first, but I found most Michiganders rude.
    I recently moved from KY to Ann Arbor and it took me a minute to realize that's just how most of them are. I'm use to that southern hospitality I guess.

They have several videos of the frame replacement process if you look up Dunning on YouTube.
    Make sure you do a walk around video of your truck running with no check engine lights with the tech guys as well.
    You can't have too much documentation. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Liked
    0 times

Thanks so much. Yes Tracy was rude but she knows I dish it out too (being from philly) if need be. I set her in her place. When I went back, she changed and was very nice and helpful. I am ready for the new frame. Now that you live in Ann Arbor, you will see my Green Tundra a lot as I am on Route 23 all the time. Most people are in the rear view mirror..lol Thanks again for your help and advice.
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:

Liked
    88 times

If they are confused about the supercharger you can sell it to me . ;-)

Liked
    0 times

Frame is done now. Besides them forgetting a washer in the front and having to rewiring a new trailer hitch plug, everything seems to be ok.
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:

Liked
    0 times

update: I have had the truck back to Dunning 2 times for repairs. The first one was a washer missing in the control arm in the driver side. Easy fix. Things happen. the second time was for a brake fluid leak. One of my calipers were bad in the front. Then they found that my rear seals for all were very bad and drum brakes were soaked and need replaced too. I thank Joe in service for helping me get back on the road in one day so i didn't miss my weekend sales job. Thanks again to Joe for getting the parts in next day and fixing my truck. I highly recommend dunning as they stand by their work and Joe did a great job!
    4x4 extra cab and green
    Added options:

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

another satisfied customer. now, where are the videos of the burn-outs while hitched up?
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast