New 5100's Installed.......again.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tundrunk
  • 1 Post By TheGryme
  • 1 Post By Stone_Blue

Thread: New 5100's Installed.......again.

Liked
    80 times
    Images

Default New 5100's Installed.......again.

That was fun. (the forth time is always fun!!!!!!!)
    This time I set them to the forth clip setting.....the truck is setting nice right now.
    There was some difficulty getting the shock shaft to go thru the end plate (FSM calls them a suspension support) with the Bilstien supplied new rubber cushions (doughnuts)....they were too thick installed in any configuration to make them fit.
    I ended up having to cut the inside (lower) one down on both sides....just enough to get the threads to stick thru and start the nut.
    What a PITA.
    Now I've looked at the FSM and it doesn't show 2 rubber doughnuts (cushions) only 1 on the top!!!!
    I think every shock I've ever replaced had 2 rubber cushions, one on each side of the frame or mount....

I hope I didn't phuck up and they don't break again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    662 times
    Images

Default Re: New 5100's Installed.......again.

Thats because the top plates come with a bushing already press-fit on the bottom side.
    I posted pics here: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...uestion-print/

Liked
    1776 times
    Images

you are on your forth set of bilstein 5100's on your tundra? wth dude?
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2403 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    you are on your forth set of bilstein 5100's on your tundra? wth dude?
    He must not be a tame driver.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    80 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    He must not be a tame driver.
    Yeah.......that's putting it mildly!
    It's a 4 x 4 truck and it gets treated and used as such. But it is well cared for and thanked kindly for it's service!
    I'm still wondering if the extra rubber thingys I installed on the 5100's will cause any problems!

6 inches of new snow this morning and once again the mighty Tundra was first to make tracks!
    YeeeHaaaaaaa!
    tundra3400 likes this.
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....

Liked
    8 times

4th set? wow... Are you having the worn ones rebuilt, or just replacing them?

Liked
    80 times
    Images

I had one rear blow a seal, replaced both rears.
    One front blew a seal, replaced both fronts.
    Both fronts lost the lower vulcanized bushing/ mount.....replaced both again.
    This last time the drivers side front lost the lower bushing again.....I kept driving it for a couple of weeks. I was out playing in some fresh snow and hit a big hole I didn't see and tore the lower mount completly off the shock! Fortuantely the shock got caught on the lower "A" arm and I was able to limp it home without any further damage.
    I replaced them once again.....
    '04 Tundra DC
    '12 Camry SE
    '92 4Runner
    '04 YZ250F

Liked
    1776 times
    Images

are these being made in china now? that would explain the drop off in quality.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    662 times
    Images

Wow...If youre wheeling hard enough to kill the bushings and blow seals, isnt it about time (and wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run, and less of a PIA to keep replacing them), to think about getting some reservoired coil-overs? Like some Kings, Icons or Fox's?
    ZapcoTundra likes this.

Liked
    2895 times
    Images

Doesn't Bilstein offer free replacement lower bushing sets for the 5100s??
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    180 times
    Images

You need a gopro and a YouTube account!
    2003 Sequoia Limited 4wd- Revtec lift, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Life's a bore, I'm going pig hunting...

Liked
    80 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Doesn't Bilstein offer free replacement lower bushing sets for the 5100s??
    Shockwarehouse says the lower bushings are vulcanized into the shock, so they are not replacable. I could probably find something that would work if I had that kind of time.....
    '04 Tundra DC
    '12 Camry SE
    '92 4Runner
    '04 YZ250F

Liked
    80 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    Wow...If youre wheeling hard enough to kill the bushings and blow seals, isnt it about time (and wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run, and less of a PIA to keep replacing them), to think about getting some reservoired coil-overs? Like some Kings, Icons or Fox's?
    Then I'd need wheels and bigger tires......it never ends!
    '04 Tundra DC
    '12 Camry SE
    '92 4Runner
    '04 YZ250F