New wheels! but need spacers

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kanaduh

Thread: New wheels! but need spacers

Liked
    18 times

Default New wheels! but need spacers

ok i just bought new ion 174 wheels 16x8 but test fitting them, they dont fit the front ones rub on the disk brake caliper i think i only need 3/8 inch more of an offset so i ordered these 7mm spacers off ebay for 20$ that use the original studs. the spacer just slides over the studs, is there anything wrong doing this ? the rear wheels fit fine. thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    505 times
    Images

Default Re: New wheels! but need spacers

That should work...I dont believe you should have any issues...Just make sure you still have enough thread left on the lug studs to FULLY engage your lug nuts. To check, you could always just pick up an open acorn style lug nut, and snug it on to make sure you have at least a couple extra threads extending past the end of the nut.

As to the rears, yeah, just run them without spacers...14mm (about 7/16") total track width difference between front and rear shouldnt even be noticeable.

Liked
    18 times

i would think they will work fine but i was wondering with the stock wheels being hub centric or whatever and having all the weight on the studs instead of the center of the wheel ? im not really sure

Veteran Member
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

Show us a picture of the spacers, or a brand name for the spacer. I personally wouldn't use anything other than Spidertrax spacers. Hub centric is the way to go and also make sure the studs and lug nuts are correct, and torqued to the correct amount.

Liked
    18 times

Two Wheel Spacers 6 Lugs 7mm Thick Universal Fit Spacer | eBay

they arent hubcentric i dont think my new wheels are either

Liked
    505 times
    Images

I wonder if those could throw off your wheel balance, since they dont have a symmetrical hole pattern?

Liked
    18 times

im not to sure i wouldnt think so if the spacers fit snug and dont have any play in them. but once i get them ill test fit and see, i just thought for 20$ I could try them

Veteran Member
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

So, you add a 7mm wheel spacer, which then reduces the length of the available stud, to attach the wheel. Are you replacing the studs with longer ones? You no longer can get the wheel aligned with the hub, I think you are just asking for problems. A correct spacer should be hubcentric, and the studs should be an intrigal part of the spacer. Here, read this post, and then search some more regarding spacers/adapters. Be safe, and do it right. Wheel Spacers - Are they safe?
    Last edited by kanaduh; 01-18-2013 at 02:50 AM.
    Remmy700P likes this.

Liked
    45 times

3/8ths of an inch shouldnt be a problem. as far as balance that shouldnt be a problem either. its too close to the center of the hub to make any real difference.

Liked
    18 times

thats what i was hoping for but not being hubcentric anymore i dont think i could ever have a good balanced wheel.