Changing Sparkplugs

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SuckersWalk
  • 1 Post By lovemybadkitty
  • 2 Post By SuckersWalk
  • 1 Post By Puffnstuff

Thread: Changing Sparkplugs

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Cool Changing Sparkplugs

I have a 04 double cab V8 (4.7L) that has 140,000+ miles. I have never had any problems with gas mileage or engine running bad. I am a firm believer that if something aint broke don't mess with it, but which spark plugs do most of you guys go with in your 4.7s Just doing some research before making my mind up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1776 times
    Images

Default Re: Changing Sparkplugs

when you do a search here, you'll find that an overwhelming majority of us use OEM plugs.
    kerryman71 likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    88 times

He means Denso I got mine from rockauto.com

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Yeah, Denso's or NGK's. Nothing fantastic like long life titanium or something crazy like that. Just the basic ones.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

I think the consensus is Japanese made plugs. No split fires or bosh multi fire plugs or whatever they call those things? Next time I will also try to do a better search as to not ask redundant questions.
    Jonesy likes this.

Liked
    11 times

it's all good dude.

get the denso"s for 2.00

they r good for 30k

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

Yup, I get the Denso's from the dealer when they have a 15 or 20%-off deal. I've also been changing them at 30,000 miles. They are cheap enough.

I agree, the consensus from years ago was that/is that, we don't need anything other than the cheap plugs that Toyota has spec'd for our 4.7L's.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

OEM denso or ngk - the models listed in your owners manual for your engine. 05+ use iridium and again use the exact models listed in the manual or their manufacturers updated model number. Long life plugs have thicker electrodes than short life. I put a chart in a spark plug thread not so long ago that showed all toyota models and their respective plugs.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    1776 times
    Images

If it ain't broke, don't bother fixing it philosophy can lead to other issues even though you believe your truck is running good. for example: just wait until you try to remove those plugs that have 140K on them the key word in "preventative maintenance" is preventative.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2 times

I'm a big fan of NGK, but then again I may be a bit biased because I work for them. I change my plugs usually about every 30-40k wether they need it or not. As previously mentioned, they tend to get a bit stubborn to remove after that.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

Make sure you use anti-seize on the threads of the plugs and coil bolts when you put it back together.
    Thundra04struck likes this.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Don't put anti-seize on NGK's, just Denso plugs. I like the NGK's. No problems at all for the last 13+ years. If you stay with the recommended plugs in your owner's manual (Denso or NGK), you can be sure that they match the resistance rating of your coils.

Liked
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by INDYMAC View Post
    Don't put anti-seize on NGK's, just Denso plugs. I like the NGK's. No problems at all for the last 13+ years. If you stay with the recommended plugs in your owner's manual (Denso or NGK), you can be sure that they match the resistance rating of your coils.

What's different about NGK plugs that they don't need antiseize?
    "Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san