Question Magnaflow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters (2003 Tundra SR5 V8)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wunderwhatnow
  • 3 Post By kerryman71

Thread: Magnaflow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters (2003 Tundra SR5 V8)

Cur
    Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

Default Magnaflow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters (2003 Tundra SR5 V8)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tundra_exhaust.gif 
Views:	969 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	93309

So I just got my 2003 Tundra SR5 V8 back from the dealer after my frame swap and he made me aware that my exhaust was really rotted out. In fact when they re-assembled it, a couple holes opened up in two of the pipes and now I have a rather nice sound rumble-y V8 (which won't pass inspection due in 2 months). So I gotta fix it. I live in MA, so they are a bunch of nazi's about this stuff.

I need to replace PN#17450-0F050 (left side catalytic converter; item 2 in pic) and the part it connects too, PN#17403-0F040 (item 3 in pic). The OEM MSRP prices for those two parts are $1305 and $234, respectively.

While I would love to have OEM cats, I simply cannot afford the price of them right now. So I need to look to aftermarket. I used Magnaflow replacements for my Nissan Murano a while back, and they held up for 40k miles at which time I sold the POS.

Also, since I'm replacing one side, I figure I should probably do both... ?

The dealer was pretty sympathetic and tried to cut me a deal on price of OEM stuff but was still way above what I wanted to pay, so he agreed to replace the exhaust with the pieces I bring him for a charge of one hour labor plus misc stuff like gaskets, etc.

My question is has anyone used either version of the Magnaflow direct fit replacement cats? They are both OBDII compliant, and it just appears one has a heavier coat of heavy metal wash, they call them "OEM Grade"

(From their website)
    What is OEM Grade?

Close X
    OEM Grade converters are specially formulated with a heavier wash coat and loaded with twice the amount of precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) to provide a much stronger coverage.

OEM Grade is recommended for vehicles that have:

High Mileage
    History of Check Engine Lights
    Gross Polluters
    California Emissions Equipment Outside of California

Please refer to your emissions tag located on the underside of the hood.

Example:
    "Standard heavy metal coating" vs "OEM Grade"... the price difference appears to be just about $120.

Buy MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Online

Buy MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Online

I have 100k on my truck and wondering if I would be better off spending the money on the OEM grade. My truck is my winter daily driver, but in the other 3 seasons gets driven maybe once a week.

Any help would be appreicated. I know there are other mfg's of direct fit cats, but I've read a lot of horror stories about Eastern and others... so that's why I looked to Magnaflow first.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    21 times

Default Re: Magnaflow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters (2003 Tundra SR5 V8)

subin, in the same boat. Almost everyone on here says the aftermarket cats will throw codes. The price of new oem is ridiculous. Not sure what I will do either.

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

there was a thread here a few months back about this very topic. i believe there were a few that got the "replacement" cats and they were working. those that got the "high-flo" cats had problems. hit up the search feature.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Cur
    Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

I did search and read through several of those threads but nothing specific was discussed as to the "OEM grade" or "Standard heavy metal coating" cats was found.

I found the "cat cleaning w/ acid thread" a real eye opener. Wish I lived close to those guys.

Thanks though.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    16 times

Yup, there is a thread that previously discussed this topic... The DIRECT FIT Walker and Magnaflow parts will work. The crap universal ones you can buy off the shelf at your local parts store will throw codes. If I remember correctly, Remmy used them?

Liked
    88 times

I had replaced mine with magna flows and let me tell you that sparked the worst 9 months of my life. Id highly recommend the stock convertors from toyota as they gave me my life back the very second I replaced the magna slows with them well worth the money in my opinion
    bigjeffie likes this.

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

did you replace them with the oem replacement ones or the universal or high performance ones? there is a difference.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    28 times
    Images

I had the stainless Mag cat pipes installed on both sides with my new frame. I have never had any codes, nor have I ever had to changed the O2 sensors. I think people that get codes that won't clear usually have other issues that they blame on the new pipes, but if you do not have any other exhaust problems, do it right, and change the gaskets - you should be fine. Make sure you inspect them carefully. Mine had a small pin hole in one of the O2 socket welds, and had to have a shop fill it with weld. Check out performancepeddler.com. If you call them they will give huge discounts, just mention this forum.

Liked
    88 times

Oems but magnablow said their cat should not cause codes because they are better flowing and yada yada all I know is it caused problems for me and others apparently and if I had known about the troubles I would've avoided them.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Those same parts are $1062.00 and $187.00 at Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories I know it still isn't insane, but it may save you a few hundred bucks if you can swing it. One of the vendors here, Camelback Toyota, who I've never ordered from but have heard good things from others who have, offers free shipping on orders over $150. They sell those parts for $1028 and $185. Not sure if these items would qualify due to size, but it's worth a shot.

There's also a member here, esconditotundra, who you may want to look up. He builds exhausts and can probably help you out or at least steer you in the right direction.

John
    Last edited by kerryman71; 01-17-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Add text
    SuckersWalk, tundra3400 and Cur like this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    13 times
    Images

I had a crappy aftermarket cat put on and it was fine for about 300 miles, then the CEL came on...I'll have to get it checked to see what code its throwing.
    2004 DC Limited, Husky Liners, 35% window tint, fog light mod, map light mod, Hoen Fogs, 265/70/17 BFGs, color matched wheels, Bazooka sub, resonator removed, full LED conversion.