Adjusting Bilstein 5100's

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Stone_Blue
  • 1 Post By tundrunk
  • 1 Post By seanpistol
  • 2 Post By Auburn02

Thread: Adjusting Bilstein 5100's

Liked
    31 times

Default Adjusting Bilstein 5100's

Searched around a bit and didn't seem to find a definitive answer to my question. Truck is a 2000 4x4 Tundra. Got 5100's up front currently set at 2". Want to drop down to 1". Do I have to completely remove the spring to adjust the collar or can I compress the spring to relieve the pressure and adjust it that way without pulling it all apart?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2952 times
    Images

Default Re: Adjusting Bilstein 5100's

I'm fairly certain you will need to disassemble the coil-strut assembly. The issue is you need to be able to compress the coil sufficient to have the lower spring perch slide up and clear the c-clip, and there isn't enough available compression length to do that.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    I'm fairly certain you will need to disassemble the coil-strut assembly. The issue is you need to be able to compress the coil sufficient to have the lower spring perch slide up and clear the c-clip, and there isn't enough available compression length to do that.
    Thanks Remmy, I rented a spring compressor tool from the local parts store in hopes that this will be a relatively easy job. I have done the timing belt, swapped the rack and pinion, etc. on the truck, never have jimmied with coil springs though. I had a shop install the springs at the 2" setting last time, seeing as this is my first time attempting to adjust the 5100's, is this a fairly easy task or should I pony up the $20-$30 and just have the shop adjust the settings?
    Last edited by 87runner; 01-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Liked
    725 times
    Images

If its only $20-$30, dont even wonder, just let the shop do it....
    Remmy700P, Jonesy and seanpistol like this.

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

In theory, since you are lowering the perch and not raising it, it should be possible to do this without removing the spring. In actuality, that would be a very dangerous act to work on a coilover assembly with a loaded spring.

I'd toss some cash at a shop with a fork style wall mounted unit, the rented spring compressors are typically of bad quality and aren't well cared for. They work great for smaller springs like those of a Honda Civic, but the springs under a Tundra are fairly heavy duty and harder to compress.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    198 times
    Images

$20-$30? I had to haggle a place to come down to $75 for the pair. Everywhere near me seemed to want $150 for the effort... ridiculous!

01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 AC
    Camburg UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein shocks, Nitto Grappler M/T on AR teflon wheels
    ARB air locker, 4.10 gears, electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, dvd player, remote start

build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

That's obscene, it's no more than 30 minutes work with a wall mount unit.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    198 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    That's obscene, it's no more than 30 minutes work with a wall mount unit.
    That's what I explained to them to get the price down... said if I had their equipment I could do it in half an hour! Walked out of the first tire shop because they refused to come down from $150 (and I brought everything in... they didn't even have to take anything off my truck). Also, a couple places I called before that refused to touch the things because they didn't sell me the parts. It was a frustrating time.

Found a good 4x4 shop that was willing to put them together, and I waited for about an hour and a half for them to finish... and this was with 2 guys working on them. Apparently my coils are pretty stiff and took some wrestlin', and they had to cut and hammer out the rusty top studs from the stock setup to re-use the top plates. I wouldn't want to try it myself with a little rented spring compressor, that's for sure.
    Last edited by seanpistol; 01-21-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Remmy700P likes this.

01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 AC
    Camburg UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein shocks, Nitto Grappler M/T on AR teflon wheels
    ARB air locker, 4.10 gears, electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, dvd player, remote start

build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    3 times

I did exactly what you're asking about, going from 2" to 1.5" with the compressor just holding the coils enough to relieve the pressure on the perch clip. It's scary, but no more so than using the ****ty cheap compressor in the first place. The actual time to re-position the clip is in the neighborhood of 7 seconds. If I knew of a shop that'd do it for 30 or 40 bucks I wouldn't even consider dealing with it myself. I tossed the cheap spring compressor in the garbage when I was done so I wouldn't be tempted to re-use them, after seeing how much they bent under the force of the spring.
    Jonesy and Stone_Blue like this.

Liked
    31 times

After some debate, I opted to just have the shop do it. Course my $30 estimate was way off, they charged $80! Little spendy especially considering I dropped the units off, they didn't have to do any wrenching. Easiest money they have ever made I'm sure. Either way though I'm happy with the ride quality. Little plusher than the 2 inch setting. Still clear my 255 85/16's no prob

Liked
    11 times

I did it with them on my truck once. got a spring compressor, hooked it up to my coils while the truck was on the ground. then compressed the coils as much as i could (constraint was the room I had, not the tension) then I jacked up the front end and had plenty of room to slide up the bottom spring pad, and lower the circlip. then let the truck down, and released spring compressors. wuala!
    2000 Tundra 4.7L access cab
    Converted to 5spd manual, 550 ft. lb. clutch
    Downey midlength headers; Custom Y pipe and full dual exhaust completely straight piped; Custom ram air intake; Air conditioner delete; Blacked out grille, bumpers, flares, trim, badges, wheel wells; Painted factory 16" alloys, red calipers and drums; Bilstien 5100's on top notch; Custom rig job front lift (lowered front subframe); Poly bushings all around; Rear add-a-leaf; Home made shackle flip mounts; 2" blocks; Red intake, valve covers, plenum, fuel rails, headers; Fog light mod; 305/70/16 m/t tires

Liked
    778 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
    I did exactly what you're asking about, going from 2" to 1.5" with the compressor just holding the coils enough to relieve the pressure on the perch clip. It's scary, but no more so than using the ****ty cheap compressor in the first place. The actual time to re-position the clip is in the neighborhood of 7 seconds. If I knew of a shop that'd do it for 30 or 40 bucks I wouldn't even consider dealing with it myself. I tossed the cheap spring compressor in the garbage when I was done so I wouldn't be tempted to re-use them, after seeing how much they bent under the force of the spring.
    we have a 20 ton floor compressor at work and the top bar that the hydraulic jack pushed down on is slightly bent and this is at a toyota collision shop. these springs have incredible compression forces.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.