Best place to buy Steering Rack?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Best place to buy Steering Rack?

Liked
    19 times

Default Best place to buy Steering Rack?

Mine is leaking pretty bad and the Lucas Stop Leak isn't helping. I wonder if it would be best to order one online or see inf Auto Zone or O'Reiley's can get me one?

I don't have a Toyota dealership in my town, so I will probably get a local shop to do the work for me.

What can I expect to pay for the Rack, and the labor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Default Re: Best place to buy Steering Rack?

I just had mine replaced by a local mechanic. The rack, which I got at the dealership, was $750 with tax. I was going to buy it at Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories but the shipping would've put it right at the same price. Camelback Toyota which is in the vendor section here says they'll ship for free over $150, but I don't know if there are stipulations such as weight and size attached. Their price is comparable to Toyota Parts Zone. I would also check the high pressure hose while you're at it. I had the rack replaced only to end up having the hose replaced a week later. Ask the mechanic what the connection from the hose to the rack looks like. If it's questionable you may want to just bite the bullet and get the hose and have it all done at once. I would also suggest buying the poly rack bushings and replacing the stock rubber ones that come with the rack.

Of course you can buy a remanufactured rack which would be several hundred dollars cheaper. I didn't want to take a chance doing that and decided to buy new.

The parts will most likely be the most expensive items. All together they cost me just over $1,000, including the hose which isn't cheap. Labor, including an alignment, initially cost me just under $300. When the hose went he charged me $100 to do that, so if you do it all at once it may save you some money in labor.

If you plan on supplying your own parts, ask the mechanic if he's willing to do that. The guy I used usually doesn't do it, but when I started talking and telling him what I was buying and the fact that I was planning on doing it myself but couldn't due to surgery he decided to take a chance.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    806 times
    Images

Sorry to hear the Lucas Stop leak doesn't help. I know Napa gurantees their remanufactured A1-Cardone steering racks for life, but you may want to find a shop that is willing to provide the longest warranty on whatever they use to install. I know the dealership will only do 1 year parts & labor on their stuff. I'm not sure about how long some independant shops will guarantee without checking around.
    "I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday; 22% Tuesday; 26% Wednesday; 35% Thursday; 4% Friday."

"Failure is not an option; its a lifesytle"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    29 times

I second what Kerryman said. After buying a reman. rack only to have it leak a month after install, send it back, wait for another in the mail, re-install, now this one is a bit too tight, just go new! I have literally had a 3 month ordeal with this remanufactured rack in that ever since I have replaced it the steering has been sticky. After replacing both outer tie rods with the new rack,both lower balljoints, and five alignments later, my steering is still not great. To make a REALLY long story short, do it right the first time. Remanufactured racks are just not the same as new, safe yourself a lot of time and money by ponying up the cash and going with something that will last.

Liked
    1734 times
    Images

i like real racks and not those remanufactured ones.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/