SureTrax Max-Pax

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SureTrax Max-Pax

Liked
    81 times

Default SureTrax Max-Pax

Does anyone have a SureTrax Max-Pax in the bed of their 2WD Tundra? I'm looking for something similar to add weight to the bed of my truck to give it better traction. The bag is designed to freeze, but what about when the water is not frozen? Doesn't the bag/water slosh around making handling worse?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    198 times
    Images

Default Re: SureTrax Max-Pax

it probably wouldn't slosh around if it were full?

01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 AC
    Camburg UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein shocks, Nitto Grappler M/T on AR teflon wheels
    ARB air locker, 4.10 gears, electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, dvd player, remote start

build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    81 times

I would hope not, but it appears to be a flexible bladder. It looks to be pretty low profile so any sloshing/shifting should hopefully be minimal. It's the "designed to freeze" statement in the advertisement that has me a little worried. Does this thing only work if frozen?

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Buckets of sand don't freeze nor slosh around. As an added bonus, you could use the sand for traction of needed.

FWIW, I work on a truck that has a 500 gallon tank of water on it. Never had a problem with sloshing or shifting if the driver knows how to operate it.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    81 times

Has anyone used a twin air mattress and filled it with water? I can get one of those for $12 whereas the ShurTrax costs $125. If it eventually leaks, so what, hopefully it would last a few months and it's only $12. Like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Viny...ndingMethod=rr
    Last edited by mossman77; 01-25-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Liked
    42 times

They have welded baffles inside that prevent sloshing.... Pretty smart idea, but not as smart as having 4WD...

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

i've got one. has baffles. no sloshing around preventing weight transfer and getting the truck up on two wheels; and damn it, i've tried much safer than tubes of sand or whatever other flying projectile others decide to use that do go rolling from one side to the other when cornering like danica; been there, done that too. the shurtrax can move around (the bladder itself) a bit when pulling some good g-forces (driving like you stole it) if it isn't strapped to all four corners of the bed; duh!, that's why there are four grommets on the bladder.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    81 times

I am going to try the air mattress idea. However, I can't fill it up all the way because that would be 1,000 lbs., so I only filled it up 1/3 of the way. I'm thinking this could be a bad idea if the water isn't constantly frozen. Could this increase the rollover risk when it is thawed? If so, I think I may pull the plug. It would be one thing if it were just me driving it, but my wife drives it as well with our 2-year old toddler. Any thoughts? By the way, the mattress spans the entire length of the bed and there is about 2" clearance from the wheel wells on either side. 1/3 full equals about 3" of water, so perhaps rollover risk isn't a concern, but 300+ lbs. of water shifting left/right could make spinning out more likely, which is one of the very reasons I decided to add weight in the first place. Maybe I should just play it safe and fork out the $125 for the ShurTrax.
    Last edited by mossman77; 01-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
    It would be one thing if it were just me driving it, but my wife drives it as well with our 2-year old toddler. Any thoughts?
    just install some baffles inside the mattress and put some grommets, one each corner, so you can secure it to prevent shifting weight causing instability in handling. your family will be nice and safe that way, which is your priority.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    42 times

^ Worth a try, but for safety's sake make sure that sucker is strapped down tight.

Liked
    81 times

4doubleyaD: It's not strapped down at all. I figured the weight alone would keep it in place. Plus it reaches from the cab all the way to the tail gate and nearly wheel well to wheel well. Is it necessary to secure it?

SuckersWalk: I have to assume you are being sarcastic when you say install baffles and grommets to an air mattress. I'll likely just buy a ShurTrax tonight once I get a few more drinks in me!

Liked
    42 times

If the thing freezes solid you will have a 4'x6' 400lb block of ice in the back of your truck... Probably not the best thing to have lying loose in case of an accident... Can't hurt to strap it down. Just thinking out loud here but if you can figure out a way to ratchet-strap it down low to the floor of the bed then it will kind-of act like baffles.

Liked
    81 times

I could install two 2x8's left-to-right, one about a foot from the cab and one a foot from the tailgate (there are notches in my bedliner). Then install tie downs diagonally underneath the 2x8's (forming baffles) and two tie downs over top to hold the 2x8's down tight. Man, sounds like I should just fork out the $125.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

By the time you pull the trigger and buy the damn thing it will probably be marked down because of spring time closeout sale.

John
    SuckersWalk likes this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    81 times

Yeah. Think I'll hold off until the off-season. Hopefully it will be cheaper then. I've seen previous posts where people mentioned $60 for one, but right now they are $125.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast