Question Suggestions on exhaust for my Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By SuckersWalk
  • 2 Post By kerryman71
  • 2 Post By tundrunk

Thread: Suggestions on exhaust for my Tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Suggestions on exhaust for my Tundra

I am looking to add an exhaust to my 2005 Tundra and am wondering which brand to go with. The truck is my
    daily driver and I am looking for an upgrade over stock but not hugely loud.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1844 times
    Images

Default Re: Suggestions on exhaust for my Tundra

if it's too loud, you're too old. go with long-tube headers and 4" pipes all the way back to the rear bumper; you'll love it.

if that doesn't sound like something you are interested in, you can always search through the hundreds of exhaust threads here and the sub-forum Performance Exhaust Systems to read about what others and done and what they have to say about their choices. however, you should be advised that taking someone else's advice on exhaust sound, or even listening to exhaust clips on the computer, is kinda like having a scratch-n-sniff vagina; it's just not the same
    Last edited by SuckersWalk; 01-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    32 times

Quote Originally Posted by mgnjr81 View Post
    I am looking to add an exhaust to my 2005 Tundra and am wondering which brand to go with. The truck is my
    When picking exhaust u have to remember a cpl things, the bigger the muffler the quieter it will b. I didn't want it loud either so I put a flowmaster 50 or 70 (can't remember) 2 in 1 out & 3" pipes all the way back. 4" can make u lose back pressure therefor defeating the purpose of opening up the exhaust, 4" is a better fit for 500+ hp, if I'm not mistaken I think the motor in your truck is pushing 287 hp. My exhaust is not loud n not much of drone at all I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Liked
    422 times
    Images

Personal experience says stay away from Magnaflow with your truck . I had it and hated it. Droned like hell and honestly did not sound all that great. I have MBRP now but have a 2012 with the 5.7 so not an apples to apples comparison. That being said I think this system is way better than the magnadrone I had. Plus you have the option with MBRP of running 304 or 409 stainless. Go with 409 if you run it straight out the back but I say spend the extra cash and go with 304 if you plan on running it out the sides. You will see significant surface rust with 409 stainless. Does not mean the system is garbage but it looks kind of crappy after a while.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    2577 times
    Images

You'll get nothing but mixed info asking a question like this. I've tried a few combinations, different diameter/length pipes, different mufflers. After all my experimenting I found that keeping the stock piping is best, only remove the resonator(mini muffler at the y-pipe) and replace the muffler with whatever suits your taste(2.5" in/out). Doing it this way will cost you much less than a full after-cat system, price will be cost of muffler and $50 or less for install. As Suckers said, sound clips on youtube don't give you the full scope since you can't feel if there is any drone going on. I'd say it's like the difference between hearing drag races on tv and hearing them in person.

The one muffler I've seen many members select and none regret is a man made one known as the BAMuffler, made by a member here known as Escondidotundra. Shoot him a PM or email, he builds an excellent product and has more experience with Tundras than any big name manufacturer.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    101 times

Old Ride:
    2000 Tundra TRD 4.7 4x4
    Modded up and down.
    Want your 1st gen truck to haull A$$, and get much better MPG's?
    Look at this thread:
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-tube-headers/
    **Insurance took due to major hail damage**
    NEW RIDE:
    2009 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4, 6-Speed Manual
    Mods:
    BAMuffler, K&N Intake, Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 1" Lift w/Bilstein 5100's
    JBA long-tubes

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Exhaust, drone, Magnaflow, y-pipes; all that means nothing to me right now. What I want to know is where I can purchase one of the aforementioned scratch-n-sniff vaginas? Do they come in different scents?

John
    SuckersWalk and tundrunk like this.
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    32 times

Quote Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
    Exhaust, drone, Magnaflow, y-pipes; all that means nothing to me right now. What I want to know is where I can purchase one of the aforementioned scratch-n-sniff vaginas? Do they come in different scents?

John
    Ys they do come with different scents, the 40-50yr old smells like coffe n cigarettes

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mgnjr81 View Post
    I have had a few, but stuck with Gibson. Magnaflow will rob you of backpressure with their muffler system, but their cat pipes are fantastic. Stay with 2.5" single piping and you shouldn't lose power. I have stainless Gibson headers to stainless Mag cat pipes then stock resonator to Gison stainless single side swept. Is is quieter that the dual side swept Mag, but gives my truck it's balls back. Check performancepeddler.com and if they have a system you want call them. They give one heck of a discount just by asking. Or, if money is not an issue - search this site for BAmuffler. He is really good to work with and can set you up. Good luck!
    Last edited by Bradthetech; 01-28-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Liked
    32 times

I 2nd the bam muffler!!!!

Liked
    2577 times
    Images

BAMuffler is very affordable, knowing it was handmade in California for the customer's needs is priceless.
    kerryman71 and DanoDavis like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.