05 Tundra rear axel differential water contamination

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By seanpistol
  • 2 Post By Remmy700P

Thread: 05 Tundra rear axel differential water contamination

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 05 Tundra rear axel differential water contamination

3rd time in about 16 months I have had to take my 2005 Tundra into the dealer to get the driver rear wheel bearing and seals replaced!
    First stock OEM lasted until about 120,000, not bad, no complaints. Dealer replaces it, at a hefty cost I might add.
    6 months later, same issue, making crunching noise, squealing and eventually, causing the ABS light to come. Dealer warranties the repair.
    6 months later - same problem.

This time they are telling me water is entering the axel house/diff. and contaminating the oil and causing the bearing and seals to go???
    There plan is to extend the vent line to stop the problem. Makes since.

Catch is, the axel hasn't been submerged under water. I don't have a boat, I don't forge streams. I live where it snows and rains but I wouldn't expect that road slush/rain would be enough to enter the vent and cause this issue and if that is the case, why now and not on first 120k??

Any one else herd of this???

I'm thinking they are missing a larger problem here or something?? cracked axe housing or something?
    Thanks for any info regarding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    198 times
    Images

Default Re: 05 Tundra rear axel differential water contamination

I'm not sure about the wheel bearing but a cracked axle housing would probably stand out due to leaking gear oil. i'd guess that the dealer could be pulling your leg about about water entering the pumpkin. Maybe they just figured out the breather has been clogged the whole time and they are retarded- your axle seals don't have a chance with a gunked up breather. You need to extend the breather to somewhere that it won't get clogged with crap, like up behind the drivers side tail light. The axle doesn't have to be submerged to get clogged with mud, road grime, etc and blow out your axle seals trying to equalize the pressure inside the diff when it heats up.

save some money and know it's done right by extending the rear diff breather yourself. it will take you about 10 minutes in the driveway. order these two parts online:

90930-03136 (breather)
    90404-51319 (union)

buy 7' of 3/8" ID fuel hose from an auto parts store and run it loosely along your brake line with zip ties and up the bedside to behind the drivers tail light. give the hose enough room to stretch when your suspension is stretched.
    Last edited by seanpistol; 01-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.

01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 AC
    Camburg UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein shocks, Nitto Grappler M/T on AR teflon wheels
    ARB air locker, 4.10 gears, electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, dvd player, remote start

build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    2953 times
    Images

BamZipPow and Highwaylizard like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

Did you do a used oil analysis to see if there actually is water contamination? Or are you just taking the dealership's word for it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.