Clunk in under driverside floor board when turning left?!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Clunk in under driverside floor board when turning left?!

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Clunk in under driverside floor board when turning left?!

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I'm excited to be apart of this group. I picked up an 02 Tundra SR5 V8 4x4 with 114k on it last week. Since then I've noticed that when turning left at a slow rate of speed say into a parking lot, if there is an incline that I hit while turning I hear a fairly loud clunk under my feet. I can feel it too. It only seems to happen when turning left, going slow and hitting a bump or incline. I have not a clue in the world what it is but the noise makes me concerned. Anyone have any ideas? Would love some feedback

Thanks!!
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

Default Re: Clunk in under driverside floor board when turning left?!

Go Hawks!

Sway bar or end link bushings, transmission mount?
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Check the leaf springs and rear shocks too. It's amazing how sound travels in vehicle. Something you swear is coming from the front ends up being in back.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    11 times

that is low miles. what did u pay for it-if i may ask.

make sure the timing belt has been done -pronto!

very important!!

Liked
    28 times
    Images

For starters crawl under the drivers side or crank the wheel far right to look under. Check to make sure the stabilizier links are attached on both ends. These are the bars that attach the stabilizer bar to each side. If you are missing one, it could make a popping sound while turning. Check the CV boot just behind the wheel for tears or leaking grease. If it is torn, the grease may be gone and it would make noise. These are prob the most common problems for you to check. Either way, check Rockauto.com for the new parts. You can google a discount code for them as well. Good Luck!

Liked
    40 times
    Images

any suspension mods to the truck? sometimes upper ball joints can make clunks or pops, along with what everything else people said. tranny mounts, shock mounts, sway bar, diagnosing clunks and noises can be pretty tough sometimes. Most people here have had one at sometime and most have all been something different. I know mine was upper ball joints. I also had a spacer lift in that could have been the culprit as well.
    CoachRon likes this.
    2003 Access cab step side / bilsteins all the way around / OME 886 springs / camburg UCA and uniballs / removed sway bar / toytec AAL in the rear with 2 inch blocks and hellwig 1250 helpers / toytec 3 degree shims / streetacos carrier bearing drop 2 1/4inch / Pro Comp alloys 16x8 and firestone destination all terrains 285/75/r16 / Alpine type R 12' sub and deck

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Man you guys rock! I just checked this thread and numerous responses, I appreciate it. As far as I know the truck is still stock. It has slightly larger tires then stock that look brand new (BF Goodrich ATs) but as far as I know, there were no mods completed to the suspension. I did just hear back from the seller and he let me know the timing belt hasn't been done so I will get on that ASAP.

@bigjeffie. I paid $11,500 for the truck and did a lot of research ahead of time. I'll upload an image shortly.

I really appreciate your responses everyone and I'll take a look at each of the suggestions.
    Highwaylizard and tundra3400 like this.

Liked
    88 times

My truck has a pop to it same thing backing outta a driveway on incline or whenever I turn hard. I took my truck to toyota to have them look at it the said everything looked good by my lower control arms were loose said and alignment would fix r up and even after the alignment my truck still pulled and damn sure still pops. I guess one day soon ill crawl under my tundra and take a long nap under there and maybe an idea of what it is will come to me. Till then im stumped hope you have better results. Let us know what you find.

Liked
    719 times

There are a lot of us that have a mysterious pop when driving over uneven terrain, myself included. I have a lift in my shop and have looked for this clunk to no end. There is a super long thread about this somewhere in here with no real resolve of the noise. Don't know if this is the same noise you are hearing but just wanted to put it out there that many of us have a similar clunk. If everything checks out you might just be joining that club.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    517 times
    Images

i developed this same clunking after i had the frame replaced. i does it on a sharp low speed u turn when the truck meets to different heights in the road surface or when pulling in or out of the drive way, but will randomly do it. i cant replicate it when i want to hear it. it can be heard very loudly from the outside of the vehicle but ive only heard it once. sounds like meta hitting metal. i think its either the trans mount or a front diff mount or a rack mount. it is possible that its the sway bar end links but mine are brand new since the frame replacement but might as well check them anyway.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 207,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Sneveys Offroad)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    451 times
    Images

don't trip. mine makes all kind of pops and clanks too. just get in and drive it til it breaks then you'll know what it was.
    SuckersWalk likes this.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    517 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    don't trip. mine makes all kind of pops and clanks too. just get in and drive it til it breaks then you'll know what it was.
    you sound exactly like me. ill worry about them but if i can see the actual problem ill just wait it out until if fails, breaks, falls off and then i deal with it.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 207,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Sneveys Offroad)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    5 times

I have the pop too in my 2000. Just had the frame done about 2k miles ago and I wonder if that has something to do with it, like something didnt get tightened up all the way?

Liked
    517 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jthemmer View Post
    I have the pop too in my 2000. Just had the frame done about 2k miles ago and I wonder if that has something to do with it, like something didnt get tightened up all the way?
    or something that was rusted solid, was then broken free and now it hangs up due to the rust and crud on it.
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    13 times

This is perfect timing. I have a 2001 Tundra with 45,000 miles on it. I have the same noise turning left as well. I had taken it to the dealership several times and they could never figure it out. I finally got under the truck and noticed that the sway bar link bushings were completely gone. I got some for like 10 bucks at my local part store and maybe 30 min of my time. Hope that fixes your issue. Welcome to the site by the way.
    2001 TRD Limited, 3" Maganflow exhaust, AFE Stage 2 CAI, JBA Headers, Resonator Delete, Toytec Bilstein 5100 coilovers, Kartek CV Boots, Camburg UCAs, 2" AAL, 285/75/16 BFG Mudders, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Goodyear Gatorback belt, 20% window tint, Uniden Bearcat CB, Pioneer AVH-P4300 DVD Deck, Scangauge II, Break Conversion, Fluid Film Frame Protection, Camo truck balls.

Thanks to Extreme 4X4 Offroad in Fort Collins, CO.
    Thanks to Muffler Masters in Colorado Springs, CO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast