05 tundra lift - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 05 tundra lift

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: 05 tundra lift

I run a 06' DC with the Toytec coilover lift with 33"x12.50" tires. The truck definitely looks lifted and people always think its a 6" lift for some reason. If you are gonna go with a suspension lift larger then 3" go with the RCD 6" hands down way better then the 5" TC lift. If you want to go larger then 6" I would do a solid axle up front and save yourself the embarrassment of having a body lift.
    CoachRon likes this.
    NEW:
    2005 Tundra DC 4x4 Limited- 5% window tint- Toytec Coilovers set at 2.5"- 1.5" AAL- Fakemaster Super 40- 305/55/20 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ- 20"x10" KMC Revolver.

OLD:
    2001 Tundra V8 4x4 Limited -6" RCD lift -4.88 Gears w/ rear locker -Rocksliders -35"x12.5"x20" Nitto Muds -20"x9" KMC Hoss -Flowmaster Super 40 -5% Tint - Hybrid Emblem- Custom Made skid plate- Q-logic box with 2 8" RF subs and 500W RF amp-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    171 times
    Images

Hey TMech..

Like some of the "grey hairs" on here are saying for us Noobies to research... Do it, all I have been doing the last couple weeks is reading threads on here and doing searches and reading more..... and reading more. No offense to the long time members BTW with the " "!!
    One member I can't remember who it was or where the thread was... Something about a spacer lift vs. 5100's maybe was saying "While you are saving up for the project, research research research....." Get info on here by doing searches and then go to the manufacturers websites as well for more info.
    I really wish I would've gotten on this site when I got my '05 back in '08.. Could've saved me A LOT of $$$ and time!!!

Good luck man!!!

Liked
    413 times
    Images

i have a tuff country 4.5" with bilstein 5100's on the second notch, so i have just about 6" of lift in the front and my 33x12.50s still rub and the truck hates the big heavy tires (re-gearing to 4.56 sometime this summer). rcd is the only option with any merit in regards to a true 6" lift. body lifts are F*cking gay as aids in san francisco.

the lift came with my truck when i bought it otherwise i would be running a 6" RCD.
    Jason
    It's paid off and and starts when i turn the key

If You seek advice, then LISTEN with your EARS not your MOUTH.....

Liked
    2511 times
    Images

1 2 NV and Peter, good posts. The rest of you should stop being so negative, you may have the right intentions but the attitude isn't necessary. I'm getting sick of every new guy getting treated this way when all they seek is some advice. As far as searching goes, try it yourselves and you'll find a sea of threads saying to go search. You were all newbs once and you all know damn well how little support there is for the first gen Tundra, come down to Earth. This hostile bs needs to stop.

That said, I also recommend doing a little reading, I'll help you out by giving the link to THE BEST thread in this entire forum, besides the one where I needed new nuts.
    Tundra Offroad Mods and Tech

Read up a bit on that, it will teach you a lot more than searching through bs will. After you read that and thought about what you really want(not what somebody else suggests), come back to this thread with some questions and we'll help you out.

A few things to consider, to run any tire bigger than 33", it is recommended to regear. Depending on what size tire, you'll want to go to a 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratio, you currently have either a 4.10 or 3.91. This will take the stress off of everything in your drive line except you axles, it will give you motor the ability to run in a better RPM range for power and efficiency. If you have 4WD, the cost doubles since you have two diffs. You will also want to consider the additional wear on brakes, with a tire that heavy you'll need to stay on top of brake maintenance. Your wheel bearings will also have additional strain, not trying to scare you but be prepared.
    CoachRon likes this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Zapco, tell us how you really feel about body lifts. Haha
    Tuckermechanical: tundruck is right, we are slightly hostile, but most of us do know what we're talking about if you have specific questions. General questions will usually get the "go search" reply. Nothing personal.
    Like everybody else has said, 35's are going to put strain on your truck. Think about every moving part on your truck that can get worn out from bigger tires (brakes, axle seals, ball joints, etc.), add up the cost of those parts and add it to the cost of the lift. Whatever you plan on spending, double that price.
    What are you planning on using this truck for? Are you off-roading or is it strictly a street queen?
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

Jeez Drunk, on the wagon again? ;-)

Since when is recommending the guy spend a little of his own time researching considered "hostile"?? I don't read hostility in any of the above posts. Frustration, maybe. The information is all here, right at anyone's fingertips. 10 minutes of clicking around will show the layout of the site and the gist of each subforum.

There's a responsibility when participating on a public forum, especially one of a technical nature. Being lazy and tossing out unfocused, wandering questions that have been answered ad nauseum isn't one of them.
    ZapcoTundra likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    63 times
    Images

It would be nice if we could clean out some of those threads that offer no useful information.
    ZapcoTundra and tundrunk like this.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    171 times
    Images

AGREE! ^^^^
    There's what 25,000 threads just on our Gen 1 forum....
    For those of us that have never been on a forum before we don't really know Forum "ethics." Thanks to those of you who cut us some slack and through out a specific thread to look at....
    I do understand it must get annoying though...
    Here's a good one for you guys....
    I did my xcase today for the 1st time myself... easy as the engine oil! Then I went to do the front dif. Got the fill plug out and then looked at the drain plug! Tried to put the 10mm allen socket in to get it out and it was all boogered up like someone tried to use a wrong sized allen! Great!! Last two times it was changed was by the "stealership" BA$%ARDS!! Then I grab the receipt from when I had it changed 17k ago and they noted on the bill they used 6 qrts in the front and rear diff... hmmm should be a total of 4.55 if I do some easy math... Maybe thats why I have gear lube coming out of the front diff breather making a mess all over?!! hmmm! Needless to say I will be paying them a visit tomorrow after work!
    I VOW HERE AND NOW TO NEVER GO TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR ANY SERVICE I CAN HANDLE MYSELF!

GOODNIGHT!

Liked
    45 times

heres a direct link to my lift install. i wish i would have taken some pics during but we were DIRTY and that was the last thing on my mind.

2006 RCD lifted truck

Liked
    2511 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Jeez Drunk, on the wagon again? ;-)
    I haven't been drinking lately. Probably explains it, nothing personal Duffy.

I'll be totally honest, and I trust that all you guys know I have respect for you as well as your opinions, this forum became much less helpful for the last year. Sure, answers can be found here if you search hard enough, not everybody has a fast internet connection to freely browse. I've had months where I didn't even have internet, I had to check in from work(after hours of course) or when visiting my moms house. Some guys are only using their phones here, I know I hate using my phone for TS because it takes longer to navigate and it's harder to read. Searching thoroughly isn't easy for some guys, particularly when they are new to the forum and haven't taken time to explore. There is a sticky here on how to search, it isn't used because guys don't read directions.

There is a root for this trend of frustration, and I understand it. A lot of us spend a bit too much time reading and getting bored of the same topics coming up. It's boring seeing another "how big of a tire" or "which spacer kit" thread come up, I get excited when I see a "check out my new long travel" thread. I cracked open a beer and enjoyed last time I saw Lalo post, it's great when something we see less often come up. I totally agree that it would be courteous of the poster to research, that doesn't make it acceptable to trash the new guy or bombard the forum with another "go search" thread. I've done it too, I've given guys attitude and joined the crew, 1 2 NV comes to mind and it turns out the guy is cool.

It isn't a problem if you don't have a solution right? Here is what I propose, Lizard, this idea is worth considering if the powers that be would like an improved forum. What we need is some additions to the stickies section, we need to include a kind of FAQ section but break it down by common category. I suggest a sticky thread on common lift options. Put a disclaimer up that this is what has worked for others, results may vary, anything you do to your truck is your choice and you assume all liability. Add in some good subject matter to cover spacers/5100s/coilovers/bracket lifts, we have plenty of people who can contribute. Include a range of what tire/wheel combos and sizes have worked out with whichever lift they have, include some good photos to show what the result looks like. I posted the link to my favorite thread here, that is a work of art, a collaboration of some of the most knowledgeable members. We could produce a similar thread with pictures and aim at what is commonly done/proven to work. Similarly to how the DIY sticky is broken into links for different subjects, this thread could have links leading to different set ups so that members can study by the style of mod they want info on. Break it into categories with sub categories. The beauty of doing this is, guys with questions can post them in the thread which relates to their question.

Level kits-->

spacers
    leveling shocks (5100s/Rancho's)

Coilovers-->
    Coilover only
    Coilover and upper arm
    Full mid travel (front and back)

Bracket lifts-->

TC 5" VS RCD 4" and 6"

To keep it from getting too off topic, a template could be used just like in our favorite off road magazines do on the reader's ride sections. This way the details are outlined in a clean inclusive fashion. Front suspension, rear suspension, wheel/tire, driveline mods, pros and cons, other comments, does everything work how you would like, if you could change anything what would it be...

How do we know this will prevent common threads? It could pop up before any member posts a new thread, put a "is your idea for a new thread related to this topic" message with a yes or no box to click. Yes leads to the thread so you can post, no lets you start a new thread. It could be as simple as a pop up asking to review the thread before posting. Before anybody chimes in that they don't want to click yes or no because it's an extra step, how often to you start new threads? I know it sounds like work, but if the format was there these threads would write themselves. Another one could be made for mufflers/exhaust. This could also be applied in the Second Gen Tundra forum, Taco Forum, Prius Forum

Anybody agree? Think this is a nice idea to add to the forum? Anybody want to help out? Mods, is this feasible?
    Should I just drink heavy again and stop caring?
    Last edited by tundrunk; 02-05-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    ZapcoTundra and CoachRon like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

It's a nice idea in theory Drunk, but the core issue is that the information is already there, and there will always be lazy folks who live a life of immediate gratification and will refuse to show enough respect to the forum and its participants to have a decent look-see around before spewing their woe-is-me schtick looking for answers to questions answered ad nauseum already.

Further, I don't think a smartphone is an appropriate interface for accessing the knowledgebase here. Too many attachments, too much formatting, embedded images etc. If a PC or tablet isn't available, then a visit to their local library is in order.

I'd be behind a reorganization of the content, maybe an elevation of posts/threads that are specific, detailed, and useable, but the new powers-that-be don't really seem to care about what the users want anymore. This site is about advertising revenues. Period.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-06-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    ZapcoTundra likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    1802 times
    Images

i'd be in favor of new members reading their "welcome" email from the site and following any advice about searching, posting, and use of sub-forums. it is beyond me how someone can access the internet, search for a professional womens forum, join it, and not continue utilizing those same research skills by at least seeking out the "stripper" technical forum to post their question about how to work a pole. after all, 1Gen Tundra isn't the default forum, or is it? maybe a simple 21 days time requirement (from join date) to post a new thread is in order.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    171 times
    Images

Great read on this thread!
    (tundra offroad mods and tech)

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Great idea tundrunk! I would like to help out if I could. The whole reason I joined this forum is because it didn't have as much nonsense as you find on other sites. I'd like to return it back to its better days.
    The waiting period between joining and starting a new thread is a great idea too. If a new member has to ask a question, they can post in a related thread. There isn't a topic about these trucks that hasn't been covered. Asking a question in a related thread is going to bump the thread to the top, as well as notify members already subscribed to that thread.
    I'd like a sticky that's just a list of answers to the most common questions. Like this:

Spacers sucks. Don't do it.
    Bilstein 5100s provide 2.5" of lift the correct way. Rear shocks don't provide lift.
    4WD trucks need a diff drop and CV boot mods with lifts.
    285/75/16s work with a leveling kit, but may cause some rubbing.
    Tire choices are up to you, every member has different opinions.
    (Could list tire sizes and wheel backspacing. Maybe make a chart?)
    RCD lifts are the most recommended bracket lifts.
    Exhausts are up to you and what you like.
    If you want a bunch of power, buy a new Tundra with the 5.7L.

You guys get the idea. That list could be like 150 lines long (don't get crazy with it). If a member hasn't read through them and starts a new thread asking a question from that list, warn them, delete the thread, and the 2nd offense: ban them.
    To give you an idea, I'm a veteran member with a bunch of mods and I've only ever started 2 threads.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.