Limit straps needed?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Limit straps needed?

Liked
    23 times

Default Limit straps needed?

I just installed the bilstein 5100s and firestone riderite airbags in the rear, and i noticed when dropping the axle to install the shocks that it started pulling the airbags in on themselves as they stretched downwards. I quickly pumped the axle back up and removed the bottom airbag mounts so they hung freely as i drooped the axle. This got me thinking. do i need to get some limit straps to keep the articulation down to not damage the airbags? i have seen spacers from firestone that are for lifted trucks, but they might push the airbag up to where it lifts the back end even more, and its already 2.5 inches above the front. Also, if i spaced the airbags, the shocks might get damaged when the airbags are inflated and push the axle down? i need some advice on this if anyone has had this problem
    2001 Tundra Limited Access Cab 4x4 V8
    De-Badged, shaved rear door handles, shaved antenna, shaved door moldings.
    Bilstein 5100s, OME 886, Memphis MClass 8" subs in Qlogic box running off of Memphis 600w amp with Memphis door speakers. Pioneer AppRadio3, dead mat entire cab and doors, slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, Warn Trans4mer, window tint, Camburg uniball A-arms, gas door off 2003 with friction type lock, not key lock. clear corner lights and tail lights, 2004 bucket seats wrapped in custom tan vinyl, rear seat matched, custom lime green w/ metal flake job box mounted in bed, Firestone airbags.

To do: fiberglass scooped hood, Warn M8000s winch, KC Pro-sport 35w HID spotlights, Rigid 10" flood bar, SoftTopper w/ roof rack, full paint job with tan two tone, dual batteries, long tube headers and true duals, White Knuckle sliders, SkidRow plates, 255/85R16 Cooper ST Maxx on TRD FJCruiser wheels, rock lights, white flashing lights, TRD embroidered on headrests.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    45 times

Default Re: Limit straps needed?

i think its a good idea because i saw the same thing on my truck with the airbags. i dont think a bolt on airbag kit is designed by the air bag manufacturers with drooping the axle in mind.

i bet the resident "experts" will have a opinion on this.

with that said, im the only one that does work on my truck so i dont have to worry about it.

Last edited by 1 2 NV; 02-17-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    tundrunk likes this.

Liked
    23 times

yeah, i do all my own work too, but the peace of mind would be nice
    Bilstein 5100s, OME 886, Memphis MClass 8" subs in Qlogic box running off of Memphis 600w amp with Memphis door speakers. Pioneer AppRadio3, dead mat entire cab and doors, slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, Warn Trans4mer, window tint, Camburg uniball A-arms, gas door off 2003 with friction type lock, not key lock. clear corner lights and tail lights, 2004 bucket seats wrapped in custom tan vinyl, rear seat matched, custom lime green w/ metal flake job box mounted in bed, Firestone airbags.

To do: fiberglass scooped hood, Warn M8000s winch, KC Pro-sport 35w HID spotlights, Rigid 10" flood bar, SoftTopper w/ roof rack, full paint job with tan two tone, dual batteries, long tube headers and true duals, White Knuckle sliders, SkidRow plates, 255/85R16 Cooper ST Maxx on TRD FJCruiser wheels, rock lights, white flashing lights, TRD embroidered on headrests.....

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

I'm curious about the spacer solution, but I'm guessing that you only inflate those bags to compensate when carrying a heavy load, if that is the case I would assume you'd just have less need to inflate. Then again, I haven't had airbags on a truck since I thought mini trucking and dragging bumpers was cool. Back then I never cared about making things last or even work right for that matter.

I would go with the limit strap idea, if anything just to protect the airbags and mounts from over-extension if you were to go off road, other than that I can't see this being a huge issue since you are aware of it. Any work going on with your rear axle/suspension will just require a few extra steps to keep the problem from happening again.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    23 times

alright, ill go measure things up, will post a thread with pics and products later on

Liked
    84 times
    Images

I believe my Firestone bags came with instructions to let out all the air if lifting body preventing bags from bursting.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

I installed airlift bags couple weeks ago. Couple things - the plastic nut on the top of airbag isn't gonna hold axle weight if you lift truck by the frame and let rear axle sag down. I installed a spacer (a piece of 1/4 PVC to push the airbag towards the frame and away from the tire) to keep the airbag from sliding in the top bracket and hitting the tire. Mine moved towards tire after two weeks, came to within 1/8" from the tire almost causing the tire to rub the airbag.
    P.S. anyone going off roading or putting the truck in situation where the rear axle will articulate a lot wants them straps. I know i am getting those. Probably smth home made as i don't go off road, but for my own piece of mind.
    tundrunk likes this.
    Thank you Middletown Toyota in Middletown, CT for painless and quick frame replacement, and awesome customer service.

New mods: Air Lift air spring kit + onboard compressor.

Liked
    23 times

Where on the axle would these straps go? I have seen both ways, the straps on each side of the diff, and straps at the ends of the axles right before the leaf pack. The diff spot seems like it would offer better articulation and limit the axle droop. but on the same token, too much articulation would damage the bags. So i guess at the end of the axle? Would i need to gusset the frame where i attach the straps? I hate to limit the travel, but thats why you buy a play toy for taking off road.

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

I have been considering adding limit straps once I stop being lazy and swap my leaf springs. My thoughts were to go toward the outer ends of the axle so that the strap is controlling axle movement at a point with the most leverage and also because that is closer to the frame.
    I don't think you will have to gusset the frame unless you plan on going airborne, it wouldn't hurt to do but probably not needed.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    15 times
    Images

No need to gusset the frame. Axle weighs what? <1000lb total with wheels so any decent bolt and non rotted out frame will support 500lb of weight. with that kind of weight i think its possible to put a piece of chain from Homeless Depot bolt to the frame and go under the axle like a U
    tundrunk likes this.
    Thank you Middletown Toyota in Middletown, CT for painless and quick frame replacement, and awesome customer service.

New mods: Air Lift air spring kit + onboard compressor.

Liked
    269 times
    Images

My suggestion is to get some air bag cups (I believe thats the name but I can't find any examples).

Instead of the bottom of the bag being bolted to the axle, the top is bolted and the bottom sits in a "cup". When towing, the bag helps support the weight of the vehicle like normal but when the axle is drooping, the bag is allowed to rise off the axle and doesn't overextend. I recently heard of these and now I can't remember where or what they were called but it struck me as the best solution and was something I remembered
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    191 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    My suggestion is to get some air bag cups (I believe thats the name but I can't find any examples).

Instead of the bottom of the bag being bolted to the axle, the top is bolted and the bottom sits in a "cup". When towing, the bag helps support the weight of the vehicle like normal but when the axle is drooping, the bag is allowed to rise off the axle and doesn't overextend. I recently heard of these and now I can't remember where or what they were called but it struck me as the best solution and was something I remembered
    This sounds like a much better solution than having your airbags limit your flex when wheeling.
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    23 times

That would be a great solution so i can wheel hard like i used to in this truck, but I really dont wanna risk breaking anything on my daily driver. Thats why i put the airbags in, so i can tow an aluminum car hauler with my wrangler on it. That way the restrictions are off and i can go crazy with things that arent practical for a daily driver.

Liked
    23 times

i have been looking at peoples setups, and some have them at an angle away from the axle, some have them banded to the shock body, and some just straight up and down. Im guessing vertical is the way to go for my application?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    142 times
    Images

Here's some decent strapsfrom a company called RedArt. Suspension Limiting Straps - Limiting Straps - SpeedStrap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast