Help! Drum will only go about 80% off of the hub

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help! Drum will only go about 80% off of the hub

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Help! Drum will only go about 80% off of the hub

So after much research I decided to tackle my drum brakes on my 01. I made the mistake of letting them get down to the metal grinding sound point. I am assuming the shoe is probably stuck to the drum or something like this. The truck moved fine before this issue. What am I missing. It is stuck where its at and wont go back on or off. Whats the next step? Can I access the adjuster from the back? if so, where is the hole to access? I looked but didn't see anything promising.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Here for the long haul!!!! navytoy82's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: Help! Drum will only go about 80% off of the hub

I know on my 06 theres 2 threaded holes just screw the right size bolt in there a little at a time and it should pull the drums off.

2006 Tundra XSP DC, 4WD, 3" ToyTec Lift, Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Camburg UCA, 33" NITTO Tera Grapplers, FloPro Custom Exhaust, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, N-Fab Nerf Steps.

Liked
    2773 times
    Images

The problem is that the shoes have probably ground a groove in the drum surface and the groove is deep enough to prevent the drums from sliding off absent the shoes being retracted.

The solution is to back off the star adjuster. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drum Brake Star Adjuster Back Off Instruction.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	94075  
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    1922 times
    Images

May sound stupid but do you have the parking brake set? First time I went to replace mine I had mistakenly set the parking brake.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    264,521 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    The problem is that the shoes have probably ground a groove in the drum surface and the groove is deep enough to prevent the drums from sliding off absent the shoes being retracted.

The solution is to back off the star adjuster. See attached.

Which leads me to my next question: Where is this access? Is it one of those 2 round bolt looking deals at the bottom of the backing plate?

Navy, The bolt thing got me to this point

And yes, the parking brake is off
    Last edited by troutman561; 02-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

Bolt thread size is M8-1.25. have you checked to make sure that your bell cranks are not stuck? E-Brake may be off, but if the cranks are stuck, it is still engaged.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    8 times

If you are unable to locate the adjuster and are replacing the drums anyway I would break the drum. What I do when replacing drums if they won't come off I take my Snap On hammer and hit the drum with the ball peen side and it will usually brake them into pieces. Give it a few good swings and it should break or at least split which will relieve the tension.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
    Bolt thread size is M8-1.25. have you checked to make sure that your bell cranks are not stuck? E-Brake may be off, but if the cranks are stuck, it is still engaged.
    I removed the springs from the E brake assembly on the back and was able to move it by hand. I assume that means it isn't stuck?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

I was just able to get back out to the truck before it for too dark. I found the rounded rectangular rubber deal right below where the brake cable goes into the top of the backing plate. If that where I can find the adjuster? Not enough light to see it but its the only thing that would make sense..

Liked
    505 times
    Images

Yes, that long oval hole with the rubber plug, above the axle, is the adjuster hole. Now the fun begins!...

Its quite a tedious thing to stick the screwdriver in there blindly, to push on the locking lever...Once you do push the lever off the star, you need to stick another THIN, WIDE bladed screwdriver, or better, a brake adjusting tool to catch and turn the adjuster wheel...May take quite a few full turns to back off the shoes enough to get them past the edge of the drum.

And yes, if you can move the e-brake adjusting levers, it SHOULD be disengaged.

Liked
    2773 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by troutman561 View Post
    I was just able to get back out to the truck before it for too dark. I found the rounded rectangular rubber deal right below where the brake cable goes into the top of the backing plate. Is that where I can find the adjuster? Not enough light to see it but its the only thing that would make sense..
    The star adjuster is behind the topmost center access hole, located over the axle, and usually protected by an oval rubber plug.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks guys. At least I have a direction to go in tomorrow morning. I think I was so frustrated earlier that I didn't even notice the rubber plug when I was looking for something like that. I was ready to cut the drum in half, but that wouldn't be wise. Hopefully it all goes a smoothly as possible, but its definitely not as easy as a front pad change which takes all of 20 minutes. I get to finish this and then tackle the alternator on Tuesday.. Cant wait.

Liked
    800 times
    Images

Yeah, it sucks. What Remmy mentioned is exactly what I would bet is happening. Isn't it nice how you get them to the point where you think they're about to come off...but nope!! Good luck.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    9 times

I was doing my rear brakes today. One of my drums wouldn't come off, but what I noticed was that there was a ton of rust on the hub. I cleaned it, and sprayed some pb blaster on it and it slid right off. Don't know if that will help you. Also if you buy those 8mm 1.25 bolts, make sure you get them as long as possible.

I had to call it quits tonight as well. The second NEW wheel cyclinder I installed started squirting fluid from the plunger. The first was from Toyota, the second was from Checker. Toyota's failure shocked me, Checkers didn't (i've had that happen before), but was additional frustration. Tomorrow, I will try the made in china part lottery at Checker - and hopefully I win.

Liked
    55 times

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    May sound stupid but do you have the parking brake set? First time I went to replace mine I had mistakenly set the parking brake.
    LOL... been there.. done that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast