Question Rough shifts (1-2-3) In drive, Smooth in 2/shifting manually

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rough shifts (1-2-3) In drive, Smooth in 2/shifting manually

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rough shifts (1-2-3) In drive, Smooth in 2/shifting manually

Hello everyone, I just upgraded from a chevy blazer to a 2000 tundra which I have just bought this weekend. I love this truck, it feels very solid and well made compared to the old blazer. Ive decided I had better become a member of this forum, seeing as there is great information for tundra owners all in one place, and I may know a thing or two to assist others as well. Pictures and Profile information are to come. The truck in question is a 2000 tundra 4x4 access cab with the 4.7.

First off, I bought this truck knowing it had an issue shifting from 1st to 2nd, especially under hard throttle. I had read that this could be a kickdown cable issue, the wrong fluid, or perhaps a dirty valve body (possibly remedied by using Auto RX.) The more throttle I give it, the harder the shift. It also does it, just less violently from 2nd to 3rd. What has me confused is that it shifts beautiful and smooth if you leave the transmission in 2, or if you manually change gears all the way through. Rough Shifts only occur when the truck is in drive. I was unable to find the same side effects described on other threads using the search function, but I am also unfamiliar with using the forum. Has anyone had this issue, or know where to start? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks!

Dustin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Default Re: Rough shifts (1-2-3) In drive, Smooth in 2/shifting manually

I have the same truck as you. Congrats! Some service history would help. It could be something as simple as the wrong fluid is in there. If it were mine, I would flush it with a high quality DEX III type fluid and see what happens. I've had success with Schaeffers #204 SAT, but others have liked Amsoil ATF and Mobil1 ATF. If you are still having problems, use the Auto-Rx according to the instructions on their website. Good luck and enjoy your new truck.
    00TUNDRACB likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I also just bought basically the same truck this weekend. How many miles on yours?

I'm going to pay closer attention when I drive it later to see if I have any rough shifting like you're describing.
    2000 Tundra SR5 (85k, V8, 4WD)
    1997 Camry LE (210k, 4 cyl.)

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

These are usually indicative of aberrant line pressure issues, stuck solenoids, occluded valve body passages and orifices, etc. As INDYMAC stated above, give it a treatment of the ARX for 1,000 miles and then do a complete ATF flush with a quality ATF. I like and run Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my 2002.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-25-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    00TUNDRACB likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    17 times

Ok. Now when it goes to shift into 2nd. Does it slip. ..then drop rpm then slam into gear?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks to all for the quick replies.@ bennetj - mine has 115,000 miles. @I20rider - Ill have to pay closer attention to the rpms when it happens, but it is definately a slow delayed shift (perhaps slipping), and when it finally shifts it really slams in if under hard throttle. I will be stopping by my mechanic's place that actually works at a toyota dealership but does side work, after class one night this week, perhaps tonight if there is time. Im going to see if he can adjust the kickdown first, and if that doesnt work ill be ordering some Auto-RX, and do a flush with the CORRECT fluid after 1000 miles. Im unsure of what fluid the previous owner used, but he said he changed the fluid a couple times and added transmission additive trying to fix the problem. Ill let you know what i find!

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Certain ATF additives, while initially improving the symptoms, simply mask the underlying issues. Further, aftermarket chemical "conditioners" have a tendency to reduce the effective life of the additive package already in the ATF formulation.

Good luck. If it's already slipping, it's probably on the way out. The ARX will let you know in fairly short order.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Certain ATF additives, while initially improving the symptoms, simply mask the underlying issues. Further, aftermarket chemical "conditioners" have a tendency to reduce the effective life of the additive package already in the ATF formulation.

Good luck. If it's already slipping, it's probably on the way out. The ARX will let you know in fairly short order.
    Well Remmy, you may be right. My truck apparently has no kickdown cable adjustment, my mechanic has kind of condemned my transmission. He says it could be the solenoids, but they rarely go bad without throwing a code. And the reason they go bad is chunks of metal getting into them. He suspects the truck may have had the issue with the coolant getting in the fluid in the past. He has never seen a 1st gen tundra tranny go that hasn't had the fluid contaminated, so he was pretty surprised. He says to go ahead and try the Auto RX, and we will do a flush. If that doesnt work, i may try replacing the 1-2 shift solenoids before throwing in the towel. Luckily i got the truck 4 grand under bluebook, so ill come out ahead even with a tranny replacement.

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 00TUNDRACB View Post
    Well Remmy, you may be right. My truck apparently has no kickdown cable adjustment, my mechanic has kind of condemned my transmission. He says it could be the solenoids, but they rarely go bad without throwing a code. And the reason they go bad is chunks of metal getting into them. He suspects the truck may have had the issue with the coolant getting in the fluid in the past. He has never seen a 1st gen tundra tranny go that hasn't had the fluid contaminated, so he was pretty surprised. He says to go ahead and try the Auto RX, and we will do a flush. If that doesnt work, i may try replacing the 1-2 shift solenoids before throwing in the towel. Luckily i got the truck 4 grand under bluebook, so ill come out ahead even with a tranny replacement.
    If the tranny suffered coolant contamination, then all bets are off.

Generally, if solenoids are the issue, you're correct... the ECU will throw a code. A blocked solenoid, however, won't.

The early 2000-2002 Tundras were at risk of a weak metallurgical run of the Torrington bearing cages in the planetary gearset used by Aisin-Warner, but when they grenade, it's usually spectacular. Anecdotally, they failed when pushed to their limits in OD while towing weight, pulling hills, etc.

I hope this is nothing more than a dirty valve body.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Liked
    17 times

Mine did the same thing. Did an IPT rebuild and an IPT valve body

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

@ Remmy, would you say there is a fairly good chance of the valve body and/or solenoids un-clogging with the use of auto rx if that is indeed the issue? Ill have to look into this IPT valve body subject if the treatment doesn't help before springing for a new or rebuilt tranny.

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 00TUNDRACB View Post
    @ Remmy, would you say there is a fairly good chance of the valve body and/or solenoids un-clogging with the use of auto rx if that is indeed the issue? Ill have to look into this IPT valve body subject if the treatment doesn't help before springing for a new or rebuilt tranny.
    It all depends on whether that is the issue. If it's the strawberry milkshake residue, then I'd say the chances are good. If it's mechanically coming apart inside, then it won't do anything.

IPT rebuilds and sells transmissions and does proprietary modifications to valve bodies. They aren't really a diagnostic shop. Sending them your VB could be pointless if it's the clutch plates. You have to find out where the problem lies first.

Point is... what have you got to lose? A bottle is like $25.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well i ordered auto rx and it is on its way. I also have another idea as to what is causing the rough shifting and i was wondering if this is logical to anyone else. The truck has an aftermarket air intake with an oiled filter. Is it possible the oil from the filter has made the MAF dirty, causing it to give lower readings of intake air to the computer, thereby causing the computer to not provide the necessary amount of line pressure to the tranny when it shifts? I would think that if the computer thinks there is less air coming in, then it thinks you are not on the throttle as hard, meaning it will provide inadequate pressure for the shift during harder throttle situations. Just an idea?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

I don't think the filter or MAF has anything to do with the shift problems.

Normally, I would say just add the ARX to the current fill of ATF. But since you don't know what the current fill is, I recommend that you flush it with any DEX III ATF and then add the ARX to it (re-set the ECU by negative battery terminal overnight too after the flush). Then drive the truck for 3000 miles and flush the ATF with a high quality DEX III ATF. I predict you will be a happy camper soon!
    Remmy700P likes this.

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

INDY's right. The MAF functioning won't affect shift points, line pressures, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast