Brake calipers, 2wd and 4wd drive, same or different???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Brake calipers, 2wd and 4wd drive, same or different???

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Default Brake calipers, 2wd and 4wd drive, same or different???

Ok, so I have searched quite a bit and can't find my answer. As the title says, is there a difference between 2wd calipers and 4wd calipers? (seems like there should be)

I figured I would do the upgrade on my 2000 Tundra since I am rebuilding the front suspension now anyway. I found this great writeup on all the needed parts, but after reading it a few times to make sure I had everything I noticed in the photos he's doing a 2wd. Now worried I may have ordered the wrong parts (not his fault, I should have double checked first.) I'm going with the Raybestos loaded calipers.

Anyway, any help would be great. Thanks

Cheers,
    Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caliper Upgrade For Early Tundras (1).pdf  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

Default Re: Brake calipers, 2wd and 4wd drive, same or different???

No difference. Try our forum dedicated to Brakes linked here Brakes
    Remmy700P likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Thanks, been there and can't find what I am looking for. Any suggestion on key words to search?
    I've tried:
    2wd 4wd caliper
    2wd 4wd brake
    2wd 4wd caliper part number
    2wd 4wd caliper interchange

Can't seem to find the right combo of words to find what I need.

Thanks,
    Josh

Liked
    721 times

The easiest way to check is go to a parts supplier like rockauto and look up the part numbers for both vehicles and see if they match.
    Gatorman76 likes this.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    14 times

Depends on the year I guess, the first gen had two different calipers for the same year on the 4 x 4 alone, pads were different also.

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

would that be the year they switched to the upgraded calipers mid-production?
    Remmy700P likes this.

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    531 times
    Images

^^^2003-mine is a 6-2003! howz that for !?!?!?!
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Everything I have searched doesn't come up with a 2wd or 4wd designation. The ones I bought are Raybestos part numbers RC11549 & RC11550 for right and left. I got those numbers from THIS THREAD on the brake upgrade. It seems to me that with all the searching I've done that they are the same between 2wd and 4wd. When I search it on different parts sights it never asks me to put in 2wd or 4wd.

Hmmmm, guess I will just have to wait and see.

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

since you won't take our word for it or go compare part numbers, guess you will just have to wait and see. when you get your parts, make sure you come back to tell us we are correct so anyone searching this topic in the future knows the answer. keep on truckin'

Search for your answer.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    since you won't take our word for it or go compare part numbers, guess you will just have to wait and see. when you get your parts, make sure you come back to tell us we are correct so anyone searching this topic in the future knows the answer. keep on truckin'
    Take your word for what???? Tell you that you are correct for what??? Your two posts tell me to search and ask if that was the year they switched, so though I will come back and thank folks who have helped with actual info, you will not be one of those people. If you have something that is actually useful to post and are feeling helpful then by all means post up. I'll thank you like you want. My guess is however that you tell everyone to search because you actually don't know the answer to the question but feel compelled to say anything to get attention. Feel free to prove me wrong on that and I'll gladly apologize, though I really don't think you can. Everyone else that posted at least is trying to help. Every part number I have compared DO NOT say 2wd or 4wd??? If you can give me a part number for both I would search until I found it. There are several different part numbers that come up on any given year you search as OnCapeCod pointed out. But as I said they do not say if they are for a 2wd or 4wd.

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help and sorry for the rant as it was not directed at you. I'll post up when I find the answer.

Cheers,
    Josh

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Quote Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
    The easiest way to check is go to a parts supplier like rockauto and look up the part numbers for both vehicles and see if they match.
    Yea, I've been to RockAuto site, Napaonline site, Parts at Toyota of Dallas site (good prices here for a lot of stuff BTW), Amazon as well as others to no avail. They all list calipers (some sites more then 20) for the Tundra, but none whatsoever say if they are for two or four wheel drive. This is what leads me to believe that they are the same for either vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by OnCapeCod View Post
    Depends on the year I guess, the first gen had two different calipers for the same year on the 4 x 4 alone, pads were different also.
    Your telling me. From what I can gather there can be up to at least 4 different calipers for most years. The later years tend to have one or two less, which I would think would be the fact that Toyota got rid of the "bad" calipers in the later years and thus don't list them, however that's just a guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,
    Josh

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by J.S.P View Post
    Take your word for what???? Tell you that you are correct for what??? Your two posts tell me to search and ask if that was the year they switched, so though I will come back and thank folks who have helped with actual info, you will not be one of those people. If you have something that is actually useful to post and are feeling helpful then by all means post up. I'll thank you like you want. My guess is however that you tell everyone to search because you actually don't know the answer to the question but feel compelled to say anything to get attention. Feel free to prove me wrong on that and I'll gladly apologize, though I really don't think you can. Everyone else that posted at least is trying to help. Every part number I have compared DO NOT say 2wd or 4wd??? If you can give me a part number for both I would search until I found it. There are several different part numbers that come up on any given year you search as OnCapeCod pointed out. But as I said they do not say if they are for a 2wd or 4wd.

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help and sorry for the rant as it was not directed at you. I'll post up when I find the answer.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Keep on truckin, bro.
    Last edited by SuckersWalk; 07-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Search for your answer.

Liked
    727 times
    Images

J.S.P., for a quick answer, basically straight from Toyota, go to Toyota Parts at ToyoMotorParts | Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and select your year and model info.
    Find the brake calipers in the list that comes up.
    Then on the page that comes up with part numbers, you will also see model numbers that each part number is used on. The model numbers look like UCK30...The 1st letter is the engine, "U" for the 2UZ-FE 8 cyl, "V" for the 5VZ-FE 6 cyl. I forget what C & K are for, something to with body style, ie "truck". Then "3" is 2WD, "4" is 4WD. "0" is Access Cab, "1" is Double Cab.
    Obviously, if the "3" AND "4" models are shown for the same part number caliper, 2wd & 4wd use the same caliper for those models. if only a "3" OR "4" model is listed, then that part number is unique to one or the other.

I say this info comes direct from Toyota, beacuse even though ToyoMotorParts is NOT affiliated with TOyota, they are just an OEM parts retailer to the public, the info for their system is straight from the internal Toyota EPC or Techstream system that Toyota uses internally.
    J.S.P likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    23 times

Hey Stone_Blue,

Thanks for that. So if I understand the model numbers correctly then my truck, a 2000 V8 Access Cab 4WD would be a UCK40. Correct?

Looking at the site you linked and at the model numbers they say the caliper is for "GSK30, UCK3#, 4#" (that was copied from the site) it looks like the calipers are indeed the same between 2WD and 4WD.

Thanks so much for that. Feeling better about this now.

Cheers,
    Josh

Liked
    727 times
    Images

Yes, yours is a UCK40. I also have a 2000 UCK40. (Oh, by the way, the model number and suffix are actually listed on your VIN tag on the driver's side door jamb. Mine is UCK40-ARSSKA. the 6 letter suffix tells even more details about the vehicle, but the 1st 5 digit part is usually sufficient for determining parts applicability)

The GSK30 SHOULD be a 2nd Gen Tundra with the newer 4.0L 6cyl. Oh, and the 2nd Gen 5.7L V8's have a UR motor, so technically, they should also have the same model number as the 1st Gen UZ's...But I'm sure Toyota wouldnt double up, and has different model codes for the 2nd gens.

When you see the pound sign like that, that means that part is used on not only 2WD and 4WD's, but also on BOTH the AC and DC's.

Make sure you not only take into account the model number, but the production dates. Toyota (usually) starts the new model year in August of every year....So -2002.08 means UP TO AND INCLUDING 2002 model year. If your truck was made in 2002.09 (your build date should also be on your VIN tag), then you have a 2003 model, and that part would not apply to your truck.
    You would want to find the parts that are for 2002.08- (which means AFTER 2002, or STARTING WITH 2003 models), for a 2003.
    Make sense?
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 07-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.