Front wheel bearing replacement?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobbygail@aol.com

Thread: Front wheel bearing replacement?

Liked
    15 times

Default Front wheel bearing replacement?

If I buy the complete hub assembly, does anyone know if it comes with a new bearing already pressed in? I'm trying to avoid having to take the truck to a shop to have them remove the old one and press a new one in. I'd rather just swap out the whole unit by myself. With that said, would it just be a matter of removing the brake components and unbolting the hub and installing the new one, or does the entire steering knuckle need to be removed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    194 times

Default Re: Front wheel bearing replacement?

A 'complete hub assembly' typically includes the bearing. They usually are a bolt in affair but if you have 4wd, you will need to torque the half shaft nut correctly. Too tight, your bearings will fail soon, too loose and again your bearing will fail soon.

Supporter
    Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by yamatoy View Post
    If I buy the complete hub assembly, does anyone know if it comes with a new bearing already pressed in? I'm trying to avoid having to take the truck to a shop to have them remove the old one and press a new one in. I'd rather just swap out the whole unit by myself. With that said, would it just be a matter of removing the brake components and unbolting the hub and installing the new one, or does the entire steering knuckle need to be removed?
    If you are talking about replacing a front wheel bearing on a Tundra....you cannot buy a complete hub/bearing assembly. You can buy a new bearing and use your existing hub. You will have to remove the entire spindle and press out the hub and bearing with at least a 20 ton press. ***This is not an easy task*** One option is to purchase a used spindle with the hub and bearing included. If you want to do it yourself you will need to purchase new seals and bearings. Just a suggestion...take your old spindle to a machine shop with the new materials (bearing/seals) and let them press the old bearing/hub out and install the new bearing/seals. The bearing and hub fit very tight inside of the spindle. A 2-3 jaw puller will not be enough. When you press these puppies out with a shop press you will hear a very loud BANG cause they are so dam tight! The you may need a bearing separator or a cut off wheel to remove the inner bearing race from the hub. You may need to use some heat from a torch too...
    DevinSixtySeven likes this.

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by bobbygail@aol.com View Post
    If you are talking about replacing a front wheel bearing on a Tundra....you cannot buy a complete hub/bearing assembly. You can buy a new bearing and use your existing hub. You will have to remove the entire spindle and press out the hub and bearing with at least a 20 ton press. ***This is not an easy task*** One option is to purchase a used spindle with the hub and bearing included. If you want to do it yourself you will need to purchase new seals and bearings. Just a suggestion...take your old spindle to a machine shop with the new materials (bearing/seals) and let them press the old bearing/hub out and install the new bearing/seals. The bearing and hub fit very tight inside of the spindle. A 2-3 jaw puller will not be enough. When you press these puppies out with a shop press you will hear a very loud BANG cause they are so dam tight! The you may need a bearing separator or a cut off wheel to remove the inner bearing race from the hub. You may need to use some heat from a torch too...
    Damn, not what I wanted to hear! I guess I will be having a shop do this then. Any idea what the labor time would be for them to do the complete job including removing the spindle and R&R bearings and seals?

Liked
    90 times

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheel bearing.pdf 
Views:	305 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	136098 maybe this will help
    04 Tundra DC / 270000 kms /Silver Sky / BFG AT ko summer / BFG Winter Slalom / Pioneer Nav hu / Volant CAI / Int LED's / Newly applied Line-x / Lear Topper with pop and lock remote / Viper 5901 2way Alarm/starter / 5100's all around , fronts on center perch/ Hellwig 7700 rear swaybar / Scangauge 2 / Weather Tech liners front and rear / Heated seats.

Supporter
    Liked
    11 times

Not sure how much the labor would cost to remove the spindles. You can purchase the bearings and seals online much cheaper. A machine shop would probably charge around $30-$100 to do the press work. This is the easiest route to take unless you have a good shop press and the proper tools. Good Luck