A340F transmission rough 1/2 shift

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A340F transmission rough 1/2 shift

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default A340F transmission rough 1/2 shift

I have had this 1/2 shift problem for the last nine years. The 1/2 shift seems slow then finishes with a bang or bump. The trans shop referred to this as "slide bump". This occurs when starting out with the shift lever in D position. If I start out with the shift lever in 2 position, the 1/2 shift is quick and fine. I noticed this rough 1/2 shift when I got the truck @39,000 miles. At 62,000 I had enough and took it to a trans shop. They said a rebuild would fix this. After four months of trying different clutch materials, different valve bodies, additives, and lightening my wallet by $1,000 they said this was the best they could do. I needed the truck so I just took it rebuilt trans, rebuilt converter, but still the same old problem. I now have 82,000 miles and it is still the same.
    I have my own theory on this and wondered what others thought. The second gear has what is called a sprag which is a one direction clutch. When in Drive and it is time for the 1/2 shift the clutch grabs the sprag and finishes the shift by powering the second gear set through the sprag. When the shift lever is in the 2 position the sprag is locked up and not used so that you don't have free wheeling and have the second gear as an engine brake. My question is could this sprag be worn and slipping and then grab with a bang.
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    18 times

Default Re: A340F transmission rough 1/2 shift

Up your line pressure

Veteran Member
    Liked
    290 times
    Images

According to my FSM, harsh engagement in the 1/2 shift is caused by a problem with the accumulator control valve or the B2 accumulator. I'm no tranny expert but I believe those parts are both found in the valve body.

There's a simple test for line pressure. With a warm tranny, engine at idle and truck stationary, shift from N to D. The time lag from the shift to the "bump" should be less than 1.2 seconds. For the shift from N to R, the time lag from the shift to the "bump" should be less than 1.5 seconds. If the time lag is longer than those specified, your line pressure is too low.

The line pressure for your '01 truck is mechanically controlled by a throttle cable, cam, and throttle valve ('02 and later trucks have electronically controlled line pressure). For throttle cable adjustment, the FSM says that with throttle valve (throttle butterfly plate) fully opened the distance between the boot end face and inner cable stopper should be 0 – 1 mm (0 – 0.04 in.).

Liked
    2987 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjrjs View Post
    I have had this 1/2 shift problem for the last nine years...
    So, you'd say this wasn't an emergency then, yes?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    911 times
    Images

I'm surprised it wasn't covered under warranty; especially with the "bang" into the next gear. Visiting an independent tranny shop would've confirmed it for ammo to take back to the dealership before you got to the 5year/60K mark.

Mine always shifted maybe 500 RPMs too late from 1st to 2nd and it bothered me at first, but I got used to it after several years. No change even after 10 years; granted I always change the fluid with synthetic Mobil 1 every 30K.

If I had a bang getting into 2nd, I'd be raising hell with Toyota, but that's water under the bridge now for you.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My tundra is an 01 Limited and has no shift cable and is electronically controlled.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.