V6 Gas Mileage

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V6 Gas Mileage

Liked
    0 times

Default V6 Gas Mileage

I have a 2005 V 6 Access cab. What kind of gas mileage have owners of this type been getting? thanks in advance for replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My 05 v6 6spd has been getting bettween 16.2 and 16.9 on 75% highway 25% city. With the exception of my last trip. 220 miles, all highway, 80mph, 15.1 mpg. This trip was all hills but nothing that required down shifting to maintain speed.

I filled up on monday and am trying to keep the RPM's under 2500 and the speed under 70. Hopefully this will help gas mileage, and i can break the 17 mark.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Robert12600
    My 05 v6 6spd has been getting bettween 16.2 and 16.9 on 75% highway 25% city. With the exception of my last trip. 220 miles, all highway, 80mph, 15.1 mpg. This trip was all hills but nothing that required down shifting to maintain speed.

I filled up on monday and am trying to keep the RPM's under 2500 and the speed under 70. Hopefully this will help gas mileage, and i can break the 17 mark.
    I've tried doing the same thing with my V8 Tundra, and I'm getting about the same mileage wise. The best tank I've ever gotten with my Tundra is 20.868 MPG and that was with strictly highway driving, and 75 MPH+. Since starting to log my mileage in June of 2003 I have averaged 16.869 MPG with mixed driving.
    My ePinions Review on the 2003 Tundra:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_136168771204

MY TUNDRA: Desert Sand Mica, 2003 SR5 Toyota Tundra Access Cab, with (debadged) TRD Off-Road Package.

CURRENT ADD-ONS, BOLT-ONS, SLAP-INS & MODIFICATIONS:

EXTERNAL: Toyota of Dallas Sports Grille, Performance Products bed mat, PIAA silicon wiper blades, Sylvania Silverstar headlight bulbs, Bully stainless steel nerf bars, debadged of all labels & insignias externally, Stant 10509 locking gas cap/cover, bullet style valve stem covers, OEM Tow Package (130A alternator, transmission cooler, etc.), 2" blind spot mirrors (Wal-Mart parking lot aids), 12" stubbie antenna, color-keyed door edge trim, clear front corners.
    INTERNAL: OEM dash cover, super white/blue xenon interior lights (look awesome at night), Wheelskins sand colored steering wheel cover, OBX sports pedals, map light mod, Tundra labeled door sill protectors.

And, a lot more to come!

All I have to do now is invest in the Redneck Retirement System*, then I can finish with all the modifications I want on my truck.

* - Redneck Retirement System: Winning the State Lottery.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The sticker on the window said 17 city, 20 Highway. I kind of figured I wouldn't see 20 except on long trips, but i haven't seen 17 on my normal drives. I read in another thread that it takes a while for the engine to break in and start to get the mileage it should. With 2400 miles on the truck I would think it's getting close.

Liked
    0 times

Dang, I guess I'll be keeping my 02 V6 Access Cab a while longer. Before I put on the SC, I was getting 19.2 mpg for the first 39921 miles. After the SC install, my mileage has dropped to 18.33 on my daily commute.

Rob
    2002 SR5 V-6 5spd, Helwig Anti-Sway and helper springs. TRD supercharger. URD FTC. TRD headers. Spintech Muffler, Falken STZ 04 tires, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Smittybilt nerfs.

04 Acura TSX - 200 hp and 30 mpg
    07 Civic Coupe - 37 mpg - who needs a hybrid?

Lifer - Moving Forward ---> bob259's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default $105 a barrel :-0

I see today Goldman Sachs bank, the biggest trader of energy derivatives, said prices could ultimately surge all the way above $100 a barrel.

This will mean $4-5 a gallon for gas .
    08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited (former ride - 05 Tundra Limited Double Cab, 4x4, TRD Pkg, Trailer Tow, Auto Dimming mirror, Factory Bed Liner, Running Boards, Bug Deflector, Sun roof):

Wife's Car :09 Prius - Silver, Solar Roof, Leather.

Oh by the way, "Batteries are included" with the Prius & Highlander Hybrids

Liked
    0 times

Default 18.6 w/ Manual

My '04 4x4 gets 18.6 for an average on a 25% city/ 75% country backroad commute. Not quite 10k on it yet. Mileage suffered a bit in the colder winter commute, but getting closer to, or slightly above, 19 now that it's warming up. I think the manual transmission makes a lot of the difference. (I'm also over 40 and have to buy my own tires, so I rarely squeal off at the light and I haven't experienced the speed limiter kicking in)! Yet.

Liked
    0 times

Default Update

My new in December 2005 Tundra DC 4x4 is now averaging 14.53 mpg over 13 tank fulls. Best tank is 15.21 and worst tank is 13.43 mpg with a little over 4,200 miles now on the truck. Most of my driving is what I would call city driving at 45mph or less (stop and go). I've also noticed that the MPG has been creeping up as the months, mileage and temperature slowly increase. The gas formulas should be changing over to the summer blends soon. We'll see if it goes up any more.
    2006 Tundra V8 Salsa Red Pearl Dbl Cab, Limited 4x4, Leather Interior w/ Htd Captain Chairs, SRS Side Curtain Airbags, Moonroof, All weather guard, DRL's, LSD, Rear Audio, Overhead Console, Touch Screen DVD Navigation, Line-X, Husky Liners, VSE Bazooka Sub, Retrax Bed Cover.

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back.

Liked
    0 times

I just had a fill up on the new Access cab V6 and it was 17 mile per gal. That's not bad with only 340 miles on the truck. So hopefully highway miles will be better. This 17 was mixed with mostly city driving. By the way someone was talking about installing a SC. What is a SC?
    Thank you for the reports.

My old Ranger with a 4 cyl. only got around 24 or 25 on the highway. I will be proud if I get 20 mile per gal on the Tundra and look what I have...more room, a great bed size, power, etc. So when you get in the mully grubs about gas, come on, let that stuff go, you will not be getting any better with something smaller and one will have to put up with a small truck. (oh you will get better mileage, but what is 5 -7 more miles per gal)

Has anyone tried those tornado air inserts that go into the air induct line to the carb?

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken52
    I just had a fill up on the new Access cab V6 and it was 17 mile per gal. That's not bad with only 340 miles on the truck. So hopefully highway miles will be better. This 17 was mixed with mostly city driving. By the way someone was talking about installing a SC. What is a SC?
    Thank you for the reports.

My old Ranger with a 4 cyl. only got around 24 or 25 on the highway. I will be proud if I get 20 mile per gal on the Tundra and look what I have...more room, a great bed size, power, etc. So when you get in the mully grubs about gas, come on, let that stuff go, you will not be getting any better with something smaller and one will have to put up with a small truck. (oh you will get better mileage, but what is 5 -7 more miles per gal)

Has anyone tried those tornado air inserts that go into the air induct line to the carb?
    I think SC could maybe mean an superchager....About the tornado air insert I've had one but I didn't see any difference on mileage or power also....
    2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited w/ TRD Off-Road Package..Desert Sand Mica Color...
    Mods:Viper 5500 Remote Start, HyperTech, URD MAF Calibrator , Custom Tuned Unichip w/ Roadspeed, Deleted Cats, Auburn LSD, Volant CAI, TRD Sway Bar, Corsa Sport Exhaust System, Long Tube Headers..

2009 HD V-rod NRS
    2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition-Current
    2003 CBR 954 RR - Track Bike

SERENITY- 4 Wheels Move The Body, 2 Wheels Move The Soul...
    Ooh-rah!!!!!

Liked
    0 times

I have a '01 access cab with the stick and (on California gas which sucks) average 20 MPG. The best was just under 22 and went 517 miles (brag, brag). I do qualify for the senior discounts at restaurants, but I don't drive the slow lane on the freeway. WB

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Changing the shift points helped quite a bit. Filled up tonight and got 18.3 mpg.

Liked
    0 times

It appears that the '05 DC's aren't getting the mileage that the AC's get. My '01 AC got around 16 mpg and now my (new to me) '03 has averaged 16.3 for the first five tanks. That includes a 17.55 and a 15.8. It seems to get about this regardless of how I drive it, too.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Your'e milage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by Parshal
    It appears that the '05 DC's aren't getting the mileage that the AC's get. My '01 AC got around 16 mpg and now my (new to me) '03 has averaged 16.3 for the first five tanks. That includes a 17.55 and a 15.8. It seems to get about this regardless of how I drive it, too.
    My 2005 DC always get 15.5 or better. Last tank nearing 17. I think that is darn good for Overgrown Toy with a V8 Pig. I don't floor it from stop lights but I have no problem using all 8 cylinders. I can't complain. My 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3L V6 only did 19-20.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 05 DC v8 4x4

14.5 strickly in town driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast