Disconnect Battery = Fail Emissions? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disconnect Battery = Fail Emissions?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Disconnect Battery = Fail Emissions?

You might want to check out the car chip, here's the url

:Davis - Automotive

It has a USB to modle connector, software to configure the module which you then plug into the ODB port under the dash. If you want one they can be had cheaper if you do a web search, around $80.00.

CarChip®

With the basic CarChip, the data logger will store up to 75 hours of trip details before you'll need to download. If you drive, on average, two hours a day, that's over a month's worth of driving data! (When full, CarChip "rolls over" and begins to overwrite the oldest data with the newest.)
    You'll get complete trip details including:

• Time and date for each trip
    • Distance traveled
    • Speed (recorded every 5 seconds)
    • Hard brakings and quick accelerations
    • Reset check engine light
    • Fault codes
    06 4x4 Tundra Limited AC / VSC / K&N Filter/UNICHIP-Flux/TRD suspension/Raybrig Headlights/HID Fog lights/Hellwig Anti sway bar/TRD CAT BACK/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    97 times
    Images

Not sure of disconnecting the battery will make you fail but just resetting the CEL and not running enough start-run-off cycles will. Get the coolest gaget in the world. The Scan Gauge II. It will not only tell you what CEL codes you are throwing, and pending, once you fix the problem it will let you reset the CEL and tell you when the vehicle has gone through enough cycles to the ready to test mode. It is the easiest to hook up and use. I also have a Auto X ray OBDII 5000 and this is so much cooler. I can't tell you how cool it is to see your actual MPG as you drive down the road and if you really want to see if windows up or down or AC changes your MPG it is right there. I just wish I would have know of it sooner.. Yes it will tell you when it is ready to test in addition to all the cool digital gauges.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by red's tundra View Post
    This is not quite on topic, but... you were having the shop diagnose your check engine light problem right?? Just for future referrence, you can buy software from a programmer on line that will turn your Laptop or Computer into a diagnostics machine. I think that actual tool/equipment you need to diagnose engine problems is over $400. This guy charges you something like $100 for the cord to connect your laptop to the ECU and $10 for the software and that's it. Plus he offers full tech support as well.

Tundra Thunder bought this setup for his laptop when his check engine light went on. It worked great....it told him exactly which sensor was out. He said it was kind of like the setup the cop had in Fast and Furious.

He told me about it a few months ago and I totally forgot...reading your post jarred my memory. If anyone is interested, I can contact Brian to get the info for you.

Chris

I would be interested in getting this software. Is it vehicle specific or is there a generic setup that will work with multiple makes?

Liked
    7 times

Disconnecting the battery will reset the monitors. There is a certain driving sequence required before the monitors will register OK.
    AFAIK, all inspections, if they are doing a smog check, will also plug in and check to ensure all of the monitors have run. I think just about any code reader can scan the monitors and show you their status.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Disconnecting the battery clears the memory and the ECU must have some drive cycles on it and be in ready mode to do a smog check. You can hook up any OBD2 scanner and it should tell you if the ECU is in readiness mode or not.
    2006 Tundra Access Cab V8 - TRD
    16x8 Konig Countersteer w/Nitto TerraGrapplers 285/75R16
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Wheelers 1.5" rear blocks
    Dynomax cat-back w/Cherry Bomb Pro muffler
    Pioneer headunit w/Alphasonic amp and Sochse speakers
    HID retrofit, Acura TL bi-xenon projectors w/BMW ZKW lenses
    Truxedo Truxport / Trail FX black steps bars / Line-X Xtra

Liked
    0 times

I did a smog check last year here in CA and I came in with the check engine light on. The technician reset the check engine light via an OBD II scanner. He went ahead and hooked up the truck to the smog check computer and went through the start-stop-run cycle until the smog check computer register all monitors okay. It took about 30 minutes after the initial reset of the check engine light for everything to check okay. I passed the smog by the way.
    2000 Tundra Limited 2X4 Thunder Grey
    K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Optima Red Top Battery, Custom 8" Lift by Custom Motorsports, Goodyear 305/70/R17 MTRs on Eagle Alloys 17x8 137s, Alpine IVA-D300 Head Unit, Alpine KCA-420i iPod Interface, Alpine TCS-V430A TV Tuner, Apple 20 gig iPod, Lanzar Component Front and Rear Speakers, Boston Acoustic 10" Subwoofer, 600x5 JL Audio Amplifier, SnugTop Expo Shell, Bedrug.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Resetting the CEL doesn't reset the ECU. You probably had some lame little code and he just cleared it. Sometimes the CEL is thrown for some intermitent problem.
    2006 Tundra Access Cab V8 - TRD
    16x8 Konig Countersteer w/Nitto TerraGrapplers 285/75R16
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Wheelers 1.5" rear blocks
    Dynomax cat-back w/Cherry Bomb Pro muffler
    Pioneer headunit w/Alphasonic amp and Sochse speakers
    HID retrofit, Acura TL bi-xenon projectors w/BMW ZKW lenses
    Truxedo Truxport / Trail FX black steps bars / Line-X Xtra

Liked
    0 times

Here in Georgia, the annual notice that the state slips in with your registration invoice (telling you what cars need emissions test and such) says "If your check engine light is on, for any reason, you will automatically fail your emissions test."

Fascinating that this thread has come back to life after FIVE years in the archive. . .

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

ok guys heres the deal if you disconect your battery or it goes dead or you lose pwr to the ecm for some reason stupid toyotas ecms need to be reset I just read a whole tsb on my friends aldata about it after i spent 500 bucks on all four o2 sensors
    the obd2 readiness monitor needs to be reset by ready for this goodluck!!! driving vehicle at 43-56 mph for a period of 3-5 minutes donot allow tps to exceed 30% drive with smooth throttle operation and avoid sudden acceleration stop the vehicle and let idle for 3-5 minutes repeat steps one more time!! do not cycle key during this operation and keep rpms low as possible they call it the drive pattern vehicle must be warm and obviously hwy conditions hope this save someone all the trouble I went thru trying to get my truck past nysi Ill let you know if this works. Its a known toyota issue.

Liked
    17 times
    Images

The key wording is "recently disconnected battery" which is the same as "recently cleared codes". The emissions testing facility will fail a vehicle even with no codes present, if emission monitors are not set. These monitors are flags within the ECM memory that indicate that the vehicle has completed the drive cycle necessary to complete such tests of the emissions and EVAP systems. The drive cycle is quite specific being a combination of acceleration, steady state driving, and decel conditions under varying loads. Unless you do the specific drive cycle mandated by the OE specs, it may a number of days to get all the conditions complete to set the flags ( worst case condition and depending on how and where you drive, of course if you drive your vehicle very little it will take longer ). This mandate by the emissions testing stations is in response to people not fixing problems, but instead just clearing codes minutes before a test and squeaking through.

That service tech should know more about the systems before making such a statement. The only way it could be true is if you cleared your codes ( i.e. momentarily disconnected battery ), then parked your truck for months until the day of the test. In that respect you may not achieve the required drive cycle on the way to the test, and fail

The big problem for the general public is poor reporting of this is any mediums not getting the whole story out ( i.e leaving out the fact that in a few days things should be o.k. to test) as this just causes confusion and most likely some fear toward servicing a battery.

It should be noted that these monitor flags are not just a Toyota thing, they are part of the OBDII compliancy required by EPA, CARB etc. for all certified vehicles
    Last edited by Hi Volt; 03-28-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Volt View Post
    The key wording is "recently disconnected battery" which is the same as "recently cleared codes". The emissions testing facility will fail a vehicle even with no codes present, if emission monitors are not set. These monitors are flags within the ECM memory that indicate that the vehicle has completed the drive cycle necessary to complete such tests of the emissions and EVAP systems. The drive cycle is quite specific being a combination of acceleration, steady state driving, and decel conditions under varying loads. Unless you do the specific drive cycle mandated by the OE specs, it may a number of days to get all the conditions complete to set the flags ( worst case condition and depending on how and where you drive, of course if you drive your vehicle very little it will take longer ). This mandate by the emissions testing stations is in response to people not fixing problems, but instead just clearing codes minutes before a test and squeaking through.

That service tech should know more about the systems before making such a statement. The only way it could be true is if you cleared your codes ( i.e. momentarily disconnected battery ), then parked your truck for months until the day of the test. In that respect you may not achieve the required drive cycle on the way to the test, and fail

The big problem for the general public is poor reporting of this is any mediums not getting the whole story out ( i.e leaving out the fact that in a few days things should be o.k. to test) as this just causes confusion and most likely some fear toward servicing a battery.

It should be noted that these monitor flags are not just a Toyota thing, they are part of the OBDII compliancy required by EPA, CARB etc. for all certified vehicles
    Exactly,thanks for saving me some typing time

Liked
    17 times
    Images

You are welcome Eddie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12