What does SR5 stand for??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does SR5 stand for??

Liked
    0 times

Question What does SR5 stand for??

Is it an abbreviation for something or does it refer to a list of options installed or?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

It is just a cool sounding trim level designation Toyota has used on many different models since the 70s.
    Don
    http://home.comast.net/~donstergarage

2002 Tundra Limited 4wd TRD

Liked
    1 times

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

As far as I know it dates back to the 70's when it meant Steel Belted Radials and 5 speed transmission.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot
    Is it an abbreviation for something or does it refer to a list of options installed or?
    The SR5 badge is there as a practice piece for de-badging the Tundra. It's at a nice level, so you don't have to squat to remove it. It's also small enough to remove quickly. Once you have mastered taking the SR5 badges off, you are ready to tackle the larger, more obscure, Toyota Tundra badges.
    Built 06/2003 SR5 Acc. Cab V8 Silver Sky Metallic 4x2

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 03SilverSky
    The SR5 badge is there as a practice piece for de-badging the Tundra. It's at a nice level, so you don't have to squat to remove it. It's also small enough to remove quickly. Once you have mastered taking the SR5 badges off, you are ready to tackle the larger, more obscure, Toyota Tundra badges.

good point I can relate hate tackey badges and dealer logo first thing i remove when i get a new car/truck..

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 03SilverSky
    - good reply - it's as aesy as the plastic V8 cliped on the grill

remember though - it doesn't prepare you completely for the horizontal removal sites
    2005 4X2 AC, SR5, phantom gray, debadged (stealthed), weatherflectors, hood deflector, Line-X, Truxedo Lo-Profile, Hellwig anti-sway bar

Liked
    13 times
    Images

I always thought it was for Speed Racer in the Mach 5
    -------------------------

Liked
    0 times

Back when the SR5 first came out, any car/truck with that package only came as a 5 speed. I've never even seen a 5 spd in a Tundra, even though I have seen plenty of SR5s.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

In my historical research, SR5 denoted the following for HiLux (the Tacoma's predecessor) trucks:

S = Sport
    R = RN Motor Code
    5 = 5 Speed Transmission/Manual

Now, there's some historical deviation between whether or not Toyota gave the SR5 designator first to the Corolla, then to the HiLux, or vice versa. The majority of references shows that the HiLux got it first, then the Corolla. This designation first appeared in the mid 70's.

This information came from a variety of sources, including toyotaoffroad.com, and Dianne Whitmire, who was kind enough to verify this with Toyota corporate back when I was writing the Tundra FAQ.
    Platinum 2000 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Sold)

Liked
    0 times

I was told it stood for Sports Revision 5

The five did indicate 5 speed however which is ironic considering the Tundra came with a 4 speed auto initially. But its really the same thing as SILVERADO, XLT, LARAMIE they're just used to denote trim levels.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRAV8GEORGIA
    good point I can relate hate tackey badges and dealer logo first thing i remove when i get a new car/truck..
    Normally I tell the dealer to remove the dealer logo from the car/truck. But, my tundra had a lame trim type dealer logo that you can remove quiet easy with your fingers. When I signed the papers to buy my tundra, the truck was sitting out in the parking lot, I was out there peeling off the logo while waiting for the sales people to finish up the papers and such.

Liked
    0 times

Service Regularly at 5K ....

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster
    Now, there's some historical deviation between whether or not Toyota gave the SR5 designator first to the Corolla, then to the HiLux, or vice versa. The majority of references shows that the HiLux got it first, then the Corolla. This designation first appeared in the mid 70's.
    Had an used 1975 Corolla SR5 (2 door) many moons ago. I recalled there were 1974 SR5 as well.

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Still have my 1975 SR5 Hilux

I'm still using my 1975 SR5 Hilux that I purchased new in Palm Beach. 5 speed and radial tires. It still gets the same 23 mpg it got 30 years ago!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.