Propane heater in your Camper Shell

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propane heater in your Camper Shell

Liked
    0 times

Default Propane heater in your Camper Shell

Anyone doing it?

I do a fair amount of wintertime camping and I plan on racking out in my truck bed now that I have a camper shell. I have a sliding screened window on 1 side.

I want to get a propane heater. The Mr. Buddy or whatever looks nice and has an automatic shut off if it detects a low volume of oxygen. It kicks out waaaaay more heat than i'll need. How about one of the Coleman units - like the Black Cat?

Has anyone tried something already and been happy with the results?
    BuckTales
    2000 Tundra SR5 Access Cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BuckTales
    Anyone doing it?

I do a fair amount of wintertime camping and I plan on racking out in my truck bed now that I have a camper shell. I have a sliding screened window on 1 side.

I want to get a propane heater. The Mr. Buddy or whatever looks nice and has an automatic shut off if it detects a low volume of oxygen. It kicks out waaaaay more heat than i'll need. How about one of the Coleman units - like the Black Cat?

Has anyone tried something already and been happy with the results?
    I looked into this too. I was worried not only about the low O2 but also the amount CO given off. There are several units made for motor homes that seam to be good fits. I dont know how cold its getting where your at (i am AK) but with my Tacoma and a Shell and a REI Candle Lantern I was able to keep it comfotable in the back. The problem your going to run into is the amount of condensation and mostuire your body gives off. Makes it fairly humid.

Chris

Liked
    0 times

I have one of those Coleman catalytic heaters and have used it in my Tundra. I actually placed it in the cab, on top of a storage box on the back seat, and pointed it thru the opened the slider (I have the boot between the cab and shell). It was actually quite warm and was only using a comforter. Outside air temp was in the low 40's.

I also tried to use it in a tent in Yosemite back in Nov. It didn't help one bit. It was so cold inside the tent that when condinsation formed on the propane tank, it froze.

As far as low O2 or high CO, the instructions do say to leave a window cracked open about an inch.
    '01 Color-Keyed Limited Tundra TRD 4x4
    JBA Headers, TRD Exhaust, IS Grill, IS Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar, AR-23 wheels w/ 265/75 Yokohama AT's, SnugTop XV Shell, BedRug, Yakima Rack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.