Tundra oil consumption - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Tundra oil consumption

Has anyone experienced excessive oil use in the 2005 I-Force V8? My truck has used oil consistently since before the first oil change. I know what the book says. I want to know your actual experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Tundra oil consumption

Mine doesn't use a drop between oil changes.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 PM

How many miles do you have on the truck so we can give you a better idea of whether or not you should be burning oil

Ryan

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

No oil consumption.

The manual says some is to be expected. If you're going through more than 1 qt per 5,000 miles, I'd say there's a problem.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 04:39 AM
veteran member

Send a message via Yahoo to Big_Al1

Shouldn't be using any I'd take it to the dealer I have 24,500 miles on my DC been using synthetic since first oil change and haven't consumed or leaked one drop of oil.(Knock on wood.)

Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Supercharged Member

my 06 D/C 4.7L uses none, i do filter and 7 Qts every 5K and lube no loss of oil here!!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM

7 qts??????? How is that working for you? I stick with the manual and add 6.5 qts with oil filter. Besides the factory oil, the only thing that goes in my truck is Mobil 1 synthetic and it doesn't use a drop between oil changes.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Lurking Member

I changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles. Used conventional 5-30 oil and toyota filter. After 1800 miles I used a little over 1/2 a quart. The truck has 2800 miles. Should I be concerned or is this normal break-in? I plan to go to synthetic at 5K.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05DC View Post
7 qts??????? How is that working for you? I stick with the manual and add 6.5 qts with oil filter. Besides the factory oil, the only thing that goes in my truck is Mobil 1 synthetic and it doesn't use a drop between oil changes.
i also use the Mobil 5W30 & M102 filter and to take my truck to fill mark it takes 7 complete quarts and has done so on every oil change i have done and i change it in same place which is level and i have checked it afterwards in other locations and it is just to fill mark!! I called Toy Socal and asked them what the marks on the 06 D/C were for and was told they represent 1.5 Qts, the area between the 2 dots!! i have seen all kinda small errors in manuals on quantitys and not just on the tundra!! my 93 PU has errors also, nothing big just when ya drain and refill it seems the numbers are off a tad as in Differentials, transfer cases and yes even engine oil!!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Supporter

how are you guys measuring oil use? dipstick marks?

i noticed when i do a change, it takes 6 qts to bring it to midway on the dipstick. i just stop there so don't have to muck around with half quarts. when i drain next time, i can never fill a 5 qt mobil 1 jug. it actually looks more like 4 qts or so in there. i figure maybe half a quart hold up in the old oil filter. that means 1 to 1.5 quarts missing somewhere. never a leak, never any obvious smells or smoke from tailpipe.

this is pretty consistent from change to change. also, never noticed it to be low on the dipstick, either when i check it in between. what gives?

2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
- JC and the Brothers of Thunder
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Supporter

My 02 doesn't burn a drop. I fill it to the full mark... takes between 6.5 & 7 qts, and whenever I check it before changing oil, it's at the full mark.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 04:53 PM

My 02 v8 with 117,000 miles is still right at the full line after 3000 miles when I change the oil.
Our 05 v8 does use a little bit. It definately doesn't go from the full to the low line on the dipstick though...
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Rookie

My 01 AC with 137,000 miles does not use a drop between oil changes, which I do every 5,000 miles.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 PM

This oil question is a good topic. At least now i am not so confused when i read my dipstick. When i change my oil i have been putting in roughly 6 3/4 quarts. I should mention that i have been using a TRD oil filter since i bought the truck and it is consideribly larger than a stock oil filter. But.. 6 3/4 quarts does not fill it all the was to the top dot. I know what the book says as well. we all know 6.5 quarts!! But like others on this post i agree these engines take more. i imagine 7 quarts or maybe a little more would fill mine up to the right level. I put the same amount of oil in at every change and leave it a little low becuase of what the book says, im affraid to put more in. I did that once by accident in my 90 S-10 blazer and i had a James bond smoke screen going on and it ran terrible. OOPS just my input...
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
mdv
Lurking Member

I've got an 05 access cab and the only time it's burned oil is on an 800 mile tow. I run 0W-30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page