How Get A Smoother Ride?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Get A Smoother Ride?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How Get A Smoother Ride?

I have a 2000 trd 4x4.I mostly drive on bumpy roads and the feeling is horrible: it feels hard and stiff, even little bumps feel hard .What should I do to get a smoother ride on rough terrain?Is changing shocks the answer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Based on your other post regarding tire choices, first I'd say to get rid of the 20's and go back to 16-17's. Short sidewall tires make for a harsher ride and make it worse for potholes because their is no sidwall to flex at impact. I've seen MANY friends that had to replace their 20"+ rims due to potholes. Many have gone back to 18 max and most only 1" or so over stock. New shocks could help as well as proper air pressure (not too much)

Liked
    0 times

I'm on 20's now, had 18's and 16's on it. Ride is exactely the same... Even with the 20's, there's still a ton of sidewall.
    Blacked out 2003 Limited 4X4 Access Cab with TRD Off-Road Package Debadged
    2.5" Fabtech suspension lift
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus
    I'm on 20's now, had 18's and 16's on it. Ride is exactely the same... Even with the 20's, there's still a ton of sidewall.
    Put your suspension back to stock.
    '05 4x4 Stepside, TRD Off Road Package, Towing Package, Captains Chairs, Factory Running Boards, XM Satellite Radio, Sport Grill, A.R.E. Z Series Shell, BedRug Bedliner

1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 351C 4V 4spd.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nevadastars
    Put your suspension back to stock.
    Truck was already lifted when I got it. Haven't changed a thing. Ride was the same.
    But I see your point as to the stock suspension... my point was more to the sidewall comment..
    3" body lift

Liked
    1 times

Truck was already lifted when I got it. Haven't changed a thing. Ride was the same.
    But I see your point as to the stock suspension... my point was more to the sidewall comment..
    You have about half of the side wall I have on my 16" wheels and stock tire setup. I would never leave the main road with those on or really load my truck heavy either.
    It would ride like I was rolling the dice.
    Kevin
    kbl41001

Obama lies ~ the economy dies H2O_MAN's Avatar
    Liked
    79 times

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiasoon
    Based on your other post regarding tire choices, first I'd say to get rid of the 20's and go back to 16-17's. Short sidewall tires make for a harsher ride and make it worse for potholes because their is no sidwall to flex at impact.
    +1
    Low profile tires make the ride stiff and unforgiving.
    Going back to the stock suspension would help smooth things out.

2002 REGULAR CAB - LONG BED - 4WD - V8 - SR5

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLINDSEY
    You have about half of the side wall I have on my 16" wheels and stock tire setup. I would never leave the main road with those on or really load my truck heavy either.
    It would ride like I was rolling the dice.
    Kevin
    Yeah, right.

What's your tire size?
    What's yours? 265/65/16? That's 172mm of sidewall. 6.9 inch sidewall.
    Mine is 285/55/20. That's 157mm of sidewall. 6.3 inch sidewall.
    Yeah, that seems to be about half.
    The sidewall is the aspect ratio of the width. It doesn't change all that much on bigger tires...or, 65% of 265mm, or in my case 55% of 285mm. Not a big change. and, my load rating is probably better than yours too, BF G's A/T KO's. I loaded 38 bags of sand mix in the back just yesterday. 50 pounds a bag....
    Yet another myth busted, maybe I should start a show on Discovery of something j/k
    Very common misconception, lots of people assume the sidewall will be smaller. That would be true if you plus size to keep the same overall tire height.
    3" body lift

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Yeah, right.

What's your tire size?
    What's yours? 265/65/16? That's 172mm of sidewall. 6.9 inch sidewall.
    Mine is 285/55/20. That's 157mm of sidewall. 6.3 inch sidewall.
    Yeah, that seems to be about half.
    The sidewall is the aspect ratio of the width. It doesn't change all that much on bigger tires...or, 65% of 265mm, or in my case 55% of 285mm. Not a big change. and, my load rating is probably better than yours too, BF G's A/T KO's. I loaded 38 bags of sand mix in the back just yesterday. 50 pounds a bag....
    Yet another myth busted, maybe I should start a show on Discovery of something j/k
    Very common misconception, lots of people assume the sidewall will be smaller. That would be true if you plus size to keep the same overall tire height.
    Your tires are almost 2 inches taller which is where you pick up the increased sidewall. Stock height wouldn't fit those. I had directed originally to cashrolling because in his other thread he was asking if increasing to 20's would help smooth his ride. All was based on working with stock, unlifted suspension. Once you lift everything changes as there are MANY more variables that you could do or had already done. To get stock tire height (which would look stupid with 5 1/2 of lift) youd be at 245/55/20.

Here is a great tire size calculator for comparing http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Cashrolling,
    Also the fact the your Nitto 404's are a performance based http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...tpc=NITVP2&tp= and have "•Action bead filler compound and high turn-up ply casing strengthen the sidewall for enhanced steering response and traction." (read stiffer sidewalls) will degrade from the ride.

Liked
    11 times

It may not be the sidewall size as much as the tire brand it's self. Also the construction of the tire overall. In most cases larger rim diameter tires are constructed with heavy sidewall to decrees tire flex. This can also vary from one tire manufacture to another. Many 18" plus size tire also have a higher speed rating which means a stiffer sidewall and softer rubber. This always affects ride quality.
    Mike

Liked
    0 times

[QUOTE=sequoiasoon] To get stock tire height (which would look stupid with 5 1/2 of lift) youd be at 245/55/20.
    QUOTE]
    Actually, I had 285/50/18's on it, very very close to stock height and radius. Looked fine... less than an inch differnce in circumference. I will admit, it looks better with 33" tires though. Look at my pics, there are pics of both rims in there...
    The ride was the same as is now.

Whereas I do agree, that tire size and make "can" make a difference, in the over scheme, not to such a degree that you will feel so much of a difference that it makes the truck ride that much harsher. Combination of suspension and tires will make huge differences. However, just stating that changing the tires will make it all better, is wrong. This guy is complaining about his ride being stiff. Suspension will make a better match than tires...
    If your shocks are old, replace them. That will make more of a difference than an inch or less of sidewall difference.
    You want to try stiff and unforgiving, try a 2" drop on shortened shocks with bumpstops on a sportcar with 18" rims and 45 series sidewalls. that's a harsh ride...been there, done that, and I love my "Plush" riding Tundra
    3" body lift

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I want to know if it is getting me better results to change suspension( I was thinking about aa 2.5" coilover bilestien) and leave the same tires for know(305-50-220) ,, or put a leveling kit without changing suuspension but change tire to a 305-55-20?
    Another question:How much shoould I lift it to be able to fit 325-60-20(35")?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

any input?

Liked
    0 times

Not totally for sure, but I think you'll rub with a 305 and a 2.5 lift. I'm 2.5" lift with 285, and they rub on the inside rails when your cranked all the way in. You'll have to really watch the offset on the rims you buy to be sure it doesn't rub the rails. My tires are 285/55/20, and they come real close to rubbing on the outside of the bumper as well.
    Anyone running 35's with a 2.5"lift?
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

UH...I can tell you for a fact with many many trucks that I have owned that when you go from a stock wheel and tire to a 20" and lower profile tire that you WILL have a rougher ride. Any tire guy with and sense will tell you the same thing. Every car and truck I have had has gotten a worse ride when I went to a lower profile tire and bigger wheel no matter what brand of tires I have purchased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast