Cabin Air Filter

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cabin Air Filter

Liked
    0 times

Default Cabin Air Filter

Has anyone investigate installing a cabin air filter on a Tundra? Where is the Tundra fresh air intake? Could a hepa filter be installed over it without much trouble?

I have been driving over lots of dirt roads for work and even with the recirculation button pressed I get dust everywhere.

Thanks!
    2003 Stratosphere Mica SR5 Access Cab
    Shocks: Bilstein 5100 coilovers and 5100s in the rear.
    Wheels: Toyo Open Country A/T 275/70/16s on MB Blitz rims

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    7 times

Default Cabin airfilter

Hey there, take a look behind your glove box. shouldn't take five minutes. Go to your local Home-Depot/Lowes and buy a 20-20" "Filtair" filter, about $16. cut to size, should get four of them out of it. I just did this with my 03 4Runner works perfect! good luck, CSM-H

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by h7009
    Hey there, take a look behind your glove box. shouldn't take five minutes. Go to your local Home-Depot/Lowes and buy a 20-20" "Filtair" filter, about $16. cut to size, should get four of them out of it. I just did this with my 03 4Runner works perfect! good luck, CSM-H
    That sounds like a really GREAT idea! Can you offer us any photos of the "how and "where" of this little 5 minute job?!

2004 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 w/TRD Pkg.
    Mods to Date:
    16" 5 Spoke Brawn Enkei Wheels, Keyless Entry, Line-X Bed Liner, Challenger Running Boards, Husky Floor Liners, Bug Flector II (painted to match), Colegan Bra, Borla Dual (Side-Exit) Exhaust System, 2" Wheeler's Coil Lift, TRD Add-A-Leafs
    Mods to Come:
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's,
    Possible Mods:
    Seat Covers, 3M Clear Bra (hopefully... just cost so friggin' much!)

Supporter
    Liked
    7 times

Default Cabin air filter

Quote Originally Posted by TundrastruckDave
    That sounds like a really GREAT idea! Can you offer us any photos of the "how and "where" of this little 5 minute job?!

I got the idea off of "T4R.org" I also have a 03 V-8 4Runner. You can enter their site as with Tundra Solutions and "search" cabin airfilter an find pictures. It is a great idea and it works. Go to Lowes/Home Depot buy you 20"-20" Filter, the lite wire mesh type about $16.00 Take the filter out from behind the glovebox and cut to fit. Cut through the mesh with heavy scissors. Take off the paper on the edges and put it in. It works and pays for itself the first time you do it. Toyota wants $22.00 per filter. Hey good luck sorry that I don't have any pics. CSM-H

Liked
    0 times

They did not have anything on there about adding a filter setup to a Tundra/4Runner without one already. It was mostly how to use a furnace filter to get around having to pay big bucks for a Toyota filter.

I don't think Tundra's come with a filter from the factory...how did you get it to work?

Liked
    0 times

Ditto on the question about whether this is about rigging up an "add-on" filter or some sort of factory filter. I have a 05 DC Limited, and it does not appear that I have one, nor do I see a filter listed anywhere as an option. It's not in the owners manual either.

Is there a simple and effective way to rig one up ourselves? Many thanks if someone has done this and can give us an idea on what to do.

Liked
    0 times

Help? Is anyone else interested in this thread? I have a hard time believing nobody has figured this out yet, and am shocked at the lack of interest in this thread. I spent last weekend ripping out the interior and adding sound deadener, and am continuing the project this week. Before I start installing everything back into the truck, I'll take a look at this and see if I can come up with anything.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MtTrout
    Help? Is anyone else interested in this thread? I have a hard time believing nobody has figured this out yet, and am shocked at the lack of interest in this thread. I spent last weekend ripping out the interior and adding sound deadener, and am continuing the project this week. Before I start installing everything back into the truck, I'll take a look at this and see if I can come up with anything.
    I'm interested, I just don't have any idea about how to put a cabin air filter where there isn't one. I have never taken the glove box out and looked at the evaporator box area.

Supporter
    Liked
    7 times

Default Cabin air filter...in Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by gquenstedt
    I'm interested, I just don't have any idea about how to put a cabin air filter where there isn't one. I have never taken the glove box out and looked at the evaporator box area.
    OK guys and gals...I was wrong! I assumed because there is one in the 2003 4Runner that there would be one in the Tundra (and I own one, didn't look before writing). Having said that the home filter idea works for the Runner and saves money. Again sorry for the mis-information. I screwed up, I'll go sit in the corner and shut up for awhile. CSM-H

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Any updates on the filter?

Liked
    0 times

I have taken my console/glove box area apart for cleaning once before and it almost time to do it again.

I remember it wasn't hard to clean the vents in the center console. Matter of fact you can disassemble the vents from the directional flows (the parts that you see that move up and down.left and right.) I wouldn't think it would be hard to install small filters there. Like it was said just grab some filters from home depot and cut to fit. For easy riging. But the two outer vents on the driver & passenger sides might be a different story.
    JOHN

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

ok now from the earlier post that only works for the 4runner and not the tundras.....inda wanting updates from the tundra guys.

Liked
    1 times

Well, i think the fresh air comes in from the cowl, under the windsheild wipers. When you press recirc, it aparently comes in from the passenger side foot well. I would'nt know how to make a filter for that thgouh.
    one observation of interest though, when my truck was new, i would press recirc and would'nt smell any outside air, exhaust, farm etc. But as time went on, i began to be able to smell exhaust and stuff even with the recirc button on. I would like to know how to revert the flap or whatever it is that closes the fresh air intake, and make it like new again.

Liked
    0 times

I wonder if it is possible to rig filter material under the cowl or if that would restrict air flow? I have not taken it apart before....anyone think this might work?

Liked
    1 times

I would think that if somone were to apply the same principle from the 4runner to the tundra, it could work. I think the air filters would probably have to be the same type as the intake filter for the engine, otherwise it wouldn't be filtering much. This would then call for a stronger blower/fan.
    Like i said though, when the truck was new, absolutely NO outside air would come in when i press the recirc button, but now i can smell outside air even with the button pressed.
    If we could figure out a way to make it go back to new...it would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast