Tundra transmission problems (failure) -- V8 automatic - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tundra transmission problems (failure) -- V8 automatic

Liked
    2952 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra transmission problems (failure) -- V8 automatic

Quote Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
    That's what I originally diagnosed the cause of the planetary gears exploding. When I tore into the tranny and I saw bearing cage completely destoryed it automatically blamed it for the destruction...

At this point I'm tempted to just swap my 2nd tranny from a 2000 to a tranny from an 04-06 model....

Man, another thing to add to my to-do list. THANKS!!!! LOL!
    My 2002 had a short period of harsh shifting between 1-2 and 2-3. An auto-rx treatment and drain/fill sequence with Mobil-1 cured all the symptoms within 36 hours. Thank God.

After an email convo with John at IPT, I think I'm going to send him my valve body for their modification procedure. It's a pile of $$$ (~$640), but it is supposed to provide a significant level of performance and consistency at the shift end which will do a lot to help reduce heat generation and forestall any stress/strain on the gear set.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    94 times

Dang been reading everyone's posts and its making me think my tranny is gonna go grenade on me, its the original with 215,xxx miles on it...

Liked
    284 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
    Dang been reading everyone's posts and its making me think my tranny is gonna go grenade on me, its the original with 215,xxx miles on it...
    The destruction would've happened at around 75K miles. At over 215K you are golden.

Supporting Vendor
    Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    My 2002 had a short period of harsh shifting between 1-2 and 2-3. An auto-rx treatment and drain/fill sequence with Mobil-1 cured all the symptoms within 36 hours. Thank God.

After an email convo with John at IPT, I think I'm going to send him my valve body for their modification procedure. It's a pile of $$$ (~$640), but it is supposed to provide a significant level of performance and consistency at the shift end which will do a lot to help reduce heat generation and forestall any stress/strain on the gear set.
    Thank you. We also have a discount for members of this forum.

-John

IPT Performance Transmissions
    IPT on Facebook

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

sounds like you need to replace your transmission too... i have the same prob!
    at 111,000 miles, i noticed a noise that sounded like a 'whine' or a belt rubbing and within 2 weeks it turned to sounding like grinding or really bad brakes. the noise only appeared in first gear (after shifting to 2nd its fine) when accelerating/decelerating and was coming from the trans. all fluid levels checked full, no leaks. took it to the shop, guys says, planetary gears are shot! i drove it about 20 more miles... clunk! now it wont shift into reverse, and it lurches into 1st from a stop. quoted $1900 to swap out for a tranny with 76,000 miles on it. gonna do a bit more research and pricing but, it seems like this problem is somewhat common with our truck...
    rebuild or, replace? that is the question.

Liked
    24 times

I haven't priced tranny's lately but I was able to pick up an 04 4WD with 60K on it for $600 a couple years ago from a salvage yard. I swapped it into my 2000 Tundra. I live in the Midwest and a local shop will R&R Tundra tranny's for $250. Not sure how much different prices are out West.

Good luck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My transmission started shifting rough after the 90,000 mile service. Then was ok until 110,000 miles when
    it would occasionally fail to move after selecting reverse or drive. If reverse then put it in drive for a few inches and then back to reverse and it would release. Suspected the brakes and started not setting them.
    Also worked that way when selecting drive, right after problem in reverse. Finally at 127,000 miles it started doing this any cold morning and when the pan was dropped - metal particles everywhere - Replaced with a 100,000 mile warranty rebuilt unit - ran fine for one month and then started doing the same thing when cold.

Do electronics in truck set the transmission fluid pressure?
    What in the truck could be causing this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)