Shorter antenna anyone?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shorter antenna anyone?

Liked
    0 times

Default Shorter antenna anyone?

I did a search, but didn't really come up with any pertinent info.
    I'm in need of a shorter antenna. Mine hits the garage door everyday, and has become loose. I've tightened it, now it's loose again. I'm wondering if anyone has put a shorter antenna on their Tundra? In the past, on other cars I've owned, the radio reception is just crappy with aftermarket antennas. Any one know of a good one shorter than stock? Been to the local auto stores, but no luck there.
    Not big on electric antennas either, just another component to eventually break...
    Blacked out 2003 Limited 4X4 Access Cab with TRD Off-Road Package Debadged
    2.5" Fabtech suspension lift
    3" body lift

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Shorter antenna anyone?

Have you tried some blue loctite?(not the red)
    that should help you.

2013 Tundra Rock Warrior..Husky Weatherbeater floor liners,Go Rhino Dominator 2 stepbars,Unique truckbox LineX'ed black....

Liked
    0 times

Default billet antenna

u can get a billet antenna. they are alot shorter than stock and look a lot better too. i got mine from performance products. they have them in a few different lengths. it was around $25 with shipping. no problems at all with reception either. very easy to install.
    04 Tundra DC SR5 4X4 Silver Sky Metallic
    Factory Options: All-Weather Guard Package, V8 Towing Package, LSD, JBL Audio Upgrade
    My Mods: Donahoe Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Bilstein 5100s in rear, Total Chaos Diff Drop Spacer, Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings, Robby Gordon 17x8 Wheels, BFG 285/70/17s, JBA Headers (Ti coated), JBA Y-Pipe (ceramic coated), Magnaflow Muffler w/ 3.5 Tip, Volant Cold Air Intake, AudioVOX Alarm, Line-X, OBX Sport Pedals, Billet Antenna, White Guages, VSE Subwoofer, Clear Corners
    Future Mods: Tinted Windows, Billet Grille, UniChip, Glassworks Supercharger Hood, Sun Roof

Liked
    0 times

Thanks. It has to be black, the whole truck is black, no chrome at all.
    I found one at perfromance that is black, and shorter made by AMI. Anyone used one of these?

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...cement+Antenna

Redman733, thanks, but it'll just keep coming loose, even with loctite. Hits the garage door everyday, the whole housing comes loose too. I need a shorter rod(no jokes please)...
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

Hey,
    The stock is cut to the best length for the FM broadcast frequencies. If you get a shorter antenna this will affect distant reception. If it is not just a shortened hunk of metal and has a loading coil the loss will be less. If you are close to the stations you may not notice any difference. You may want to get the longest one that will fit through the garage door. I know my stock system has a very "hot" FM reciever so a slightly shorter antenna would not bother it much. I think there is some kind of dealer fix for the whole assembly loosening up but you may be out of the free fix time frame.
    As they say, my $.02
    Fred.
    So far;
    Yeasu FT-8800 Amateur Radio, Rugged Liner, DuraHitch reciever w/7 pin light plug, Fog light mod w/custom indicator, Rear seat mod, Mobil-1, Spin on tranny filter, Magnefine power steering filter, Hellwig rear sway bar w/addco links & extra bolt, Formfit hood deflector, Almost free alarm upgrade, Sequoia split three wheels W/Yokohama H/T-S, Seat belt mod, Aux backup lights, De-badged, AC in derfost mode mod, Osram SilverStars, EnergySuspension Poly/greasable front swaybar bushings, Odyssey PC1200MJT Battery, Fumoto valve, R.A.S., XM w/USA Spec. TRD 4x4 Coilovers w/Bilstiens all around... When will it end!?!?...

Liked
    0 times

Yeah, that's why I haven't bought a shorter one yet. Every short antenna I've ever bought in the past has lessened the reception so much that I end up buying 2 or 3 of them to figure out stay with the stock one.
    Stock for the Tundra is a whopping 31". I've seen CB whip antennas shorter
    Oh well, guess I'll end up buying several of them yet again... til I find one that works good. I listen to AM alot too, so it ought to be fun. I know, I"m a geek.
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

I purchased the black 21" antenna from Performance Products (#803293). The 21" is about the same height as the top of the cab. I didn't notice any loss of reception at all. I did notice a little wind noise at about 75 mph, though not enough to make me take it back off.
    Prior to that I did buy one off of ebay for about half the price, it was cheaper and IMHO a POS too.
    Bob

Liked
    0 times

I just installed a 12" stubbie black antenna on my truck and i did'nt notice any lose of receptions either. Same one as the one they sell at Performance Products but I got mine from ebay for less.
    04 PHANTOM GRAY 4X4 TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB
    Mods: sport grille, oem skid plate, borla exhaust, rhino lining, hawaiian seatcovers, debadge, 20" ace alloy T1 with 265/50/20 bfg.
    02 THUNDER CLOUD 4X4 4RUNNER SPORT EDITION
    Mods: alpine iva-c801, image dynamics speakers and subwoofer, rockford fosgate amps,

Liked
    2 times
    Images

you can also get a shorter antenna and get a carbon fiber antenna booster I have one on my viper and it works great. The antenna on the viper is on the windshield and I would loose reception everytime I got behind a larger vehicle. I had it installed behind the rear view mirror and you cant even tell its there.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]2000 Tundra 4x4 limited
    2014 Crew Max limited 4x4 Tundra

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BobsBigToy
    I purchased the black 21" antenna from Performance Products (#803293). The 21" is about the same height as the top of the cab. I didn't notice any loss of reception at all. I did notice a little wind noise at about 75 mph, though not enough to make me take it back off.
    I second that! I got the 21" AMI from Performance Products and I have to say that the reception remained the same as stock. The height sits alittle below the cab height so you will definately not hit anymore.(By the way I have a AC I think alittle shorter cab height than a DC.)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I got the 21" one from Performance Products. It looked fine and worked fine too....until the very first time I went throught the car wash. Then it snapped off. The factory one has some sway to it for a reason I guess.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

The AC is much shorter than the double cab and lighter. Given the multi broadcast methods I don't think length is as important as distance from the
    broadcast tower.
    06 4x4 Tundra Limited AC / VSC / K&N Filter/UNICHIP-Flux/TRD suspension/Raybrig Headlights/HID Fog lights/Hellwig Anti sway bar/TRD CAT BACK/

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: Shorter antenna anyone?

I installed a short, about 8in long, on my truck 3 years ago and have had no problems with with reception.
    2005 DC--Blue Steel TRD Exhaust, 5100 up front,Hellwig 3rd gen rear sway bar with AAL, True flow air intake.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I am on my second short one from Ebay, first was on my old F150. They both work fine, all black and look good. no worries in car washes either.
    2006 DC SR5 2wd, Fully deBadged, Airraid Intake, Dynaflow exhaust, Pioneer Premier head unit, Bilstein 5100's, HELO 791's, Nitto Dune Grappler 285/65/18, tan leather, Rhino liner, Undercover, Westin Bull Bar, UWS nerf bars, Garmin GPS and Sirius satellite.

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

I had the same problem with antenna hitting garage door so I installed a Sequoia power antenna.

Rick
    Black 2002 Limited 4x4
    Mods: TRD Supercharger, Boost Guage, Unichip, Clifford AvantGuard 4 Alarm/Remote Start system, Auto Dimming mirror w/compass & temp, Sequoia Power Antenna, Retrax bed cover, Donahoe long travel coilovers, Total Chaos Uniball UCA, Helo Black Maxx 6 wheels w/ 265/70R 16 Michelin LTX/MS tires, Ivan Stewart front bumper cover, TRD headers, TRD dual exhaust, factory LSD, Total Chaos urethane steering rack bushings, Wheelers urethane front swaybar bushings, Helwig rear antisway bar, Fumoto engine oil drain valve,Denso IK22 Iridum spark plugs, Eclipse AVN2454 AM/FM/CD/DVD/Navigation system w/ color backup camera, SilverStar headlights and fog lights, WeatherTec in-channel wind/rain deflectors, Ventshade door sill protectors, Toyota hood protector, TracRac sliding rack system with cantilever extension, IPOD integrated with Eclipse AVN2454, PopnLock electric tailgate lock, Sequoia electric condenser fan, Viair 440P portable compressor, ORS manual hub conversion w/Aisin hubs, StubbsWelding SKO rock sliders, 60" hi-lift extreme jack with slider adapter, Odyssey PC1700MJT battery

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.