Installing OEM autodimming, compass, temperature rear view mirror

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing OEM autodimming, compass, temperature rear view mirror

Liked
    0 times

Default Installing OEM autodimming, compass, temperature rear view mirror

Want to install the above in my 05 tundra. Does anyone know how this installation will be or if anyone who has the above as OEM, take some pictures to show how the wires are run, if they are visible? Thanks

2005 Tundra Access Cab 4.7L V8 4x4
    Phantom Gray Pearl with Light Charcoal Interior
    Bedliner, Railcaps, Towing package, JBL CD/FM with 6 Speakers, Captain's Chairs, Central Console, Privacy Glass,TRD Offroad Package, Foglamps, Colour Toned Overfenders

Truxedo Lo-Pro Tonneau Cover

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Installing OEM autodimming, compass, temperature rear view mirror

Hey Himself,

The wires do not show other than a very short piece from the headliner to the mirror.

My wife bought me one for Christmas and also pre-paid for the installation by the Dealer. However, it would not be to hard to install yourself ..... I found a complete installation description on the Internet ..... don't know where I put it.

Do a Google search for the installation instructions.

Good luck,
    2005 Tundra A/C Stepside 4x2
    Natural White/Light Charcoal Cloth
    TRD Sport Package
    Towing Package
    Cloth Captains Chairs
    JBL 6 Disk/6 Speaker CD
    All Weather Guard Package
    Carpet Mats
    Toyoguard Plus Protection Group

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I installed the auto dimming mirror in my 05 AC. Very easy install. You will have to pull a couple of the plastic molding off to run the wires and tap into a positive lead so the mirror will know to activate when the iginition turns on. The instructions tell you to tap into a wire, I went and bought a fuse extender to plug into the correct wire without splicing anything. You will also have to run the actual temp sensor to the outside of the truck, but again, not very difficult.

With a couple of basic tools, it is an easy job.

I don't know how I lived without the mirror, I love the auto dim feature....although it takes a little getting used to at first.

Worth the effort.

Good luck.

Liked
    0 times

How much was it.

Liked
    0 times

So there is no wire showing? Do you have the detailed instructions or how it looks like after install? ie. I mean the wires etc?
    Thanks

Bedliner, Railcaps, Towing package, JBL CD/FM with 6 Speakers, Captain's Chairs, Central Console, Privacy Glass,TRD Offroad Package, Foglamps, Colour Toned Overfenders

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Himself
    So there is no wire showing?
    Like I said, "The wires do not show other than a very short piece from the headliner to the mirror." The short piece of exposed wire is covered with a plastic piece that came with the mirror kit.

I will try to find the instructions by doing a Google search. If I can find them, I will post the link.

Ok, found the link ..... it is for a Highlander but the Tundra installation would be the same:

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/pdf_fil...e%20Mirror.pdf
    TRD Sport Package
    Towing Package
    Cloth Captains Chairs
    JBL 6 Disk/6 Speaker CD
    Carpet Mats

Liked
    0 times

Thank you so much. The link is really informative. At least I can see how much work is required. I will prob ask the dealer to install it for me for I can see that this installation is gonna be a little challenging for me. How much did installation cost typically'? Thanks

Liked
    2 times

I just installed an aftermarket mirror and have documented the installation on my 05 access cab. FYI, the only connection in the map light fixture is for battery and door switch. You can pull the battery line by tapping in, but you need an ignition source or the mirror will always be on. Also, there will be no temp. sensor so if the mirror comes with that then you will have to wire that in as well.

Here is a link to my installation: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-compass-temp/

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Install it yourself and save the money. I purchased mine off ebay for around $75. Compared to dealer pricing, that is pretty cheap. It is worth the cost in my opinion.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Himself
    How much did installation cost typically'? Thanks
    Hey Himself,

The installation calls for 2 hours ..... at my dealer that is about $160.00.
    TRD Sport Package
    Towing Package
    Cloth Captains Chairs
    JBL 6 Disk/6 Speaker CD
    Carpet Mats

Liked
    0 times

Tell me again how u removed the driver's side A-pillar?
    I tugged on mine but it would not budge? Do I have to remove the handle first? If so, how do I do it?
    Thanks

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Pop off the two plastic rectangular screw covers on the assist handle, remove the screws then tug on the pillar cover.
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

Ok...so can someone recommend me exactly what I need to get? I understand that there are a few brands floating around like Gentech, Mito etc. and they come with different adaptors. I would like to get the OEM one as far as possible. And where would be a good place to purchase? Thanks

Liked
    0 times

Hey Himself,

Ok, here is a link to the mirror that is sold as an aftermarket accessory by my Toyota dealer:

http://www.mitocorp.com/html/nightvi...ingmirrors.htm

And here is a link to Ebay where lots of these units are listed:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tex&category0=

Remeber, Google is your friend
    TRD Sport Package
    Towing Package
    Cloth Captains Chairs
    JBL 6 Disk/6 Speaker CD
    Carpet Mats

Liked
    0 times

Some of the Gentex models come with an "easy install" wiring harness and are significantly more money than others. What's the deal with it? Would it make the install significantly easier on a Tundra? I assumed that it wasn't very hard anyway. Also, is there a better (either closer to the unit or more accurate) location to install the temp sensor than behind the front bumper or is that the best spot?
    2005 Charcoal Tundra Access Cab 4WD, TRD Offroad, Ivan Stewart Wheels (see my tire pressure monitoring system override mod in my photos), Line-X, Magnaflow 14586 muffler, Hellwig anti-sway bar, Gentex mirror
    Audio: Eclipse CD5444 HU, Kicker Zx 550.3 powering 2 ID8V.3D4 8" Image Dynamics Subs in Q-Logic underseat enclosure and Infinity 652i Reference in rear doors, Carver M2120 amp powering Infinity Kappa 60.5CS in front doors

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.