Fuel filler/gas nozzle problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Fuel filler/gas nozzle problem

Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel filler/gas nozzle problem

I've been having problems filling my truck with gas lately (other than the price). I can't get the filler nozzle to stay in the tube. Sometimes it stays in but when the tank is full, and the nozzle shuts off, it just pops out and falls to the ground. I've tried different gas stations and it happens everywhere. Maybe the filler tube is worn out because it's aluminum (because sparks while filling up with gas is a bad thing). Anyone else have this problem?
    Donahoe Coil-overs, Camburg upper A-Arms, 285/75R16 BFG AT, Deaver 13 pack rear springs, Bilstein 5100's, TotalChaos Diff Drop, ICOM 2720, Sirius Starmate, SnugLid, Locking fuel door, defroster mod...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!! My03Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Fuel filler/gas nozzle problem

I never had that problem, but my filler tube (with its sensor) had to be replaced at 7000 due to it tripping the Check Engine Light. Your problem may be related to that. I'd say check with your dealership because that definitely doesn't sound normal.

Hey on a side note, what is the defroster mod?
    Is something supposed to be here?

Liked
    0 times

The defroster mod lets you turn on the defroster without the A/C kicking in. There's a link here somewhere as to how to do it. Do a search for defroster and you should find it pretty easily. If not let me know and I can tell you how to do it.
    Donahoe Coil-overs, Camburg upper A-Arms, 285/75R16 BFG AT, Deaver 13 pack rear springs, Bilstein 5100's, TotalChaos Diff Drop, ICOM 2720, Sirius Starmate, SnugLid, Locking fuel door, defroster mod...

LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!! My03Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by fbazzo
    The defroster mod lets you turn on the defroster without the A/C kicking in. There's a link here somewhere as to how to do it. Do a search for defroster and you should find it pretty easily. If not let me know and I can tell you how to do it.
    Oh, well, then I probably don't need it. This entire "winter" I haven't needed to turn on my defroster at all. Gotta love living in Southern Arizona.
    Is something supposed to be here?

Liked
    0 times

when i fill up the nozzle falls from my tank also. sometimes its still pumping out gas. its only happened to me at chevron and shell, its quite weird.
    06 DC Tundra LTD TRD. Mods: Aero Turbine 2525 dumped, debadge, Tundra all weather floormats, 20% tint all around, Hellwig red Sway Bar, Stant 11506.

Liked
    0 times

That does not sound normal at all!! I have never had any such problem like that!! Very weird!! I would take it to the dealer.
    2011 4Runner, Trail Edition, 4x4.

Liked
    0 times

When I had my 03' Tundra the fuel nozzle never like being pumped alone. The one time i did get it going and it auto shut off the nozzle shot right out onto the ground and gas sprayed on my bedside. Ever since then, I just stand by the nozzle and pump it manually. So dont think your the only one.

Liked
    2 times

I just got the fuel filler TSB done on my '03 Tundra SR5 AC. It was the last thing I had fixed before the warranty ran out.
    They replaced the the last section of the fuel filler tube near the door. It seems to have solved the problem.
    My truck had been popping the filler nozzle out since the it was new.
    Only at Chevron stations, though.
    I believe the reason was that the gasoline pump was set at too-high a pressure.
    Oh and at the Toyota DEaler instead of writing it up as a TSB the service guy wrote "Pinhole leak in filler pipe". Interesting.
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

Liked
    0 times

I also had my filler tube replaced. The reason I was told was that the tube has a corrosion problem that led to pressure inbalance that caused the check engine light coming on. The same thing happens when you don't put the gas cap back on tight.

BigWillie

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the replies...I'm going to have it replaced while I have my 60k service.

cdc
    Liked
    0 times

I had my 03 for 2 days when the check engine light came on. I had filled up the tank and I had no problem with the hose. The code was for the gas filler neck thingy and I had it replaced. Just picked it up Mon. but so far no light.
    C

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2000 tundra xtra cab that has become almost impossible to fill with gas in the last year. I never had a problem until this year but now it acts like it has a bad blockage in the fuel neck. It shuts off starting with the first gallon all the way until its is full and overflowing. I have to add a few ounces at a time. I have contacted Toyota Support but they are no help. I suspect a blockage but they won't even give me a hint or tell me if there is anything like a screen, lining, or filter that might be clogging the opening. They just suggest I take it to the dealer and I see big $$ for them to tell me there's nothing in it to go wrong. If anyone has seen this problem I would really appreciate hearing about the solution. Thanks

Liked
    0 times

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I'm having same problem of gas nozzle not staying in. I only use Chevron or Shell in my car and I've seen cases where I have to stand there holding the nozzle in to pump gas or the nozzle would stay in but it would pop out of the fuel filler once my tank is full.

I have 06 tundra access cab. And what's up with this nozzle issue and people from California complaining? Is this some localized issue?
    2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 2WD with Banks Monster Exhaust, True Flow Air Intake System, Undercover Tonneau Cover, and Bed Rug.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I recently purchased a 2010 Tundra and I am having the same problem. I have you received any further information or a solution to this problem?

Liked
    81 times

This is in the gen1 forum(00-06), for more traffic, inquire in the gen 2 (07-current) forum.
    2000 green reg cab long bed, with Bilstien 5100's, 285 nitto trail grapplers, flowmaster 40 series single exit.
    Other toy, 2010 4 door GTI